What CD Player Do You Use?

just got the schiit ! I'm going to put it on an Arcam Alpha 7......got the new multi bit....i have the alpha on an Adcom GDA 700 dac....lets see how multi bit vs.NOS Adcom compares..

Last edited:
Ran into a Teac VRDS-25X a couple of years ago, including box, manual, the extrasepacialhighendceramicvibrationdampeningfeet, remote etc. I'm not sure it is an improvement over my previous players, but there is something satisfying using this behemoth.

Teac.jpg

Ran into a Teac VRDS-25X a couple of years ago, including box, manual, the extrasepacialhighendceramicvibrationdampeningfeet, remote etc. I'm not sure it is an improvement over my previous players, but there is something satisfying using this behemoth.

Not surprisingly, it resembles Esoteric Players. Is this the beginning of Esoteric? Regardless, nice find.

In the garage/shop area I use a Denon DVD5900. Great transport!

In the main system I use an Oppo BDP-83. Great DAC in this one. Sounds pretty good hooked up to the McGear.

Technics SL-P770:

I still have both, but use the dark one as my main unit (while my brother has the silver one). I'd never let go the silver one even if my system is in Technics-anthracite, just because it is so nice and very rare in that color.

Edit: apologies for the incredibly strong barrel distortion; I meanwhile upgraded from the DSLR kit lens to a much better one…

I'm using a Sony CDP-707ESD as the Transport and a custom built (I converted) Sony DAS-703ES DAC converted to a Sony DAS-R1 Reference Standard DAC. The R1 has the coveted Phillips TDA1541 S1 Silver Crown DAC chips. I love it. It has (with good recordings) all the good properties of analog, no fatigue, etc

Sony_CDP-707ESD_Front.jpg
Sony_CDP-707ESD_RearInternal.jpg
Sony_DAS-703es-Front.jpg
SonyCustomDA,DAS-R1-1.jpg
SonyCustomDA,DAS-R1-3 (1) (1).jpg
SonyCustomDA,DAS-R1-2.jpg

Why wait until then? I suggest beginning the ripping process using EAC or dbPoweramp now since it will take some time. Start enjoying the benefits now with your Oppo via one of two ways.

I also have an Oppo 103 that accesses my server based library via WiFi that is also used to stream Netflix. The unit also supports playback of content stored in USB flash drives. I have my entire library backed up on one 256 GB stick. :)

E-Stat, I thought to personally & publicly thank you, albeit belated, many months later, for your suggestion above.
In which after going through all the expense and time wasted trying to get very good sounding and reliable computer music playback as I have posted elsewhere on this site, when my Sony 400 CD player bit the dust during Hurricane Mathew last Oct.

Anyway---ref : using my OPPO BDP 103 for playing all my lap-top WAV lossless ripped CD`s via a transferred to usb.3.0 Corsair voyager 512 Gig. thumb drive which really wasn`t practical for me at the time of your suggestion above.
But, upon the back in Feb. of this year I decided to upgrade to a OPPO`s UDP 203 for it`s 4K direct playback benefits for use with my Sony 4K living room projector which then released the OPPO 103 for dedicated all day digital music playback and has performed/sounded better than any computer playback attempts here, prior until I switched over to the 103 about 5 months ago.

The OPPO 103 runs/plays flash drive stored music 24/7, for which one of the reasons is that it takes around 20 minutes to load (currently 316 Gig. of WAV lossless), or is no longer flashing the flash drive`s activity LED.

After some sporadic usb playback lockup issues early on while using it, I tried letting it completely load(no LED thumb drive flashing) before engaging play back in the shuffle mode and now no more lockups. I`m happy and so is Mr. BDP 103.

Also, since I was already setup and configured for coax S/PDIF feed from the previous Sony 400 CD player for obvious SQ improvement reasons, I decided to continue to use that output connection scheme with the OPPO 103, though I`m well aware of the 103`s DAC SQ highly rated reputation. I had at the beginning of 2017 purchased a Grace Design 920 DAC, so wished to use it`s excellent SQ.
Of course this configuration relegates the 103 to really nothing more than a rather expensive usb to coax S/PDIF converter.

But I was going to keep the 103 anyway, so why not put it to use playing the best sounding digital sourced music that I`ve heard here to date, barring Pure Audio BRD`s..
BTW. And after getting the 103 player up and running I decided to check the player`s menu setting`s for any improvements in SQ that might be had, and the S/PDIF output settings provided a range of sampling rates.
So while standing there in the sunroom with my C27/MC2205 driving a pair of DQ 10`s I toggled from the default (I guess)of 48 LPCM to 96 while playing in real time, and the SQ became even clearer with apparently more punch(dynamics)---I don`t know why, nor care, because I WASN`T LOOKING FOR( no placebo !) anything, but it was just a curiosity experiment !!
For whatever technical reason/s of cause and effect, "I" like the sound very much, and that, of course, is just my opinion.. YMMV.

Anyway E-Stat, I might not considered the OPPO 103 flash drive music playback for quite some time without your suggestion/encouragement above, and my fortunate recollection of it, plus the availability of the BDP 103 to try this method out.
And I thank you very much Sir.
Take care.
Most kind regards, OKB

Theta Gen Va 24/96 converter when fixed, and searching for a really nice CD transport now.

Back
Top Bottom