What CD Player Do You Use?

I have a Yamaha CD-S300RK in my Rack Enclosure system (mostly Adcom gear = GFA-555MkI/GFA-545MkI/ACE-515/Nikko EQ-1/HTPC).

Also recently bought a vintage Magnavox CDB-502 (w/remote) as I had one of these that was lost in house fire back in '04,and I loved that CDP,bought it new and it sounded better than any CDP I auditioned back then and NEVER skipped or failed to read a disc,and it's JMO that these are still one of the best sounding players I've run across since then (that dont cost crazy $$$$). So yeah I absolutely love these old Magnavox (Philips) CD players. Truthfully I'm thinking I will probably pick up a couple more as I come across any good deals on 'em.

Also eventually gonna pick up a NAD 5300 CDP to match my monitor series stack (1300 pre/2600 amp/4300 tuner),and maybe a Teac C-1D to match my A-1D integrated,then maybe I'll look for a silver (face) player for my Kenwood Stack (KA-7300/KT-7300/SA-90).

That about has me covered.

FWIW

Bret P.

Just picked up another vintage Magnavox CDP for not too much $$,this one is a CDB-500,same CDP as the CDB-502 except this one does'nt have remote capability.

Both use the TDA1543 DAC and CDM-4/19 transport.

I guess now I'll concentrate on tracking down a couple of the TDA1541/TDA1541A variant Philips based CDPs.

Bret P.

Add to my list:
1. Magnavox CDB-470 w/the TDA1541 dac & CDM-2 transport.
2. Onkyo DX-1400 w/2x PCM-61P dac(s) & KSS-150A/KSS-210A transport.

Both sound & work great,both were acquired for VERY reasonable sums of $$.

FWIW

Bret P.

Add to my list a Magnavox CDB-460.

Another CDP w/the TDA1541 DAC and CDM-2/10 transport.

Gotta love these old Magnavox CDP's,,,best budget CDP buys out there IMHO...

JM2¢

Bret P.

Add to these:
1. Kenwood DP-5020 2x PCM1701P dac(s) ~ KSS-210A transport.
Plan is to use that with a Kenwood Basic rig (already have a Basic C1 preamp).

Still looking for the right NAD 5300 & TEAC C-1D...
Probably just use a different brand DVD/SACD-P for the silverface Kenwood KA-7300/KT-7300 rig.

FWIW

Bret P.

And I thank you very much Sir.
You are most welcome!

Eventually, you might want to consider using your computer to house the music library for faster access. While my approach requires the use of a home network, I'm able to leverage the power of my i7-860 desktop to perform the library duties using Logitech Media Server (LMS) software. Load time? None! LMS creates indices for accessing the music by artist, genre, year, album, playlist, searching, etc. and caches the album art.

The other advantage to using a central music server is that it is accessible by multiple devices. I use a microRendu player in the main system attached via ethernet. The garage system uses an inexpensive Raspberry PI running piCorePlayer via WiFi. The Oppo 103 in the HT also uses WiFi access. Download and/or rip music once and it is available to all your music systems. I use the iPeng app for control and have it on my phone and two pads. Not only does it serve as remote, but player as well. An iPad can be a pretty decent player when fed lossless hi-rez content, albeit limited to 48/28. It will play 88/24 and 96/24 content, but down samples to either 44 or 48, respectively. I use mine in conjunction with Shure 535se IEMs for listening in the bedroom.

The LMS software is free and you can assemble (quite simply) a Raspberry PI player for just over $100. It's compact and, with a good power supply (I prefer a batter source) can provide excellent performance. You choose either a digital out "HAT" board as I do for use with an external DAC or an integrated DAC. Here's a pic of mine:

rpi0617.jpg

An NAD C546bee. Trans port recently started ticking. Crutchfield shipped me a NEW replacement under warrenty. What a great company to buy from. No affiliation.
Also, Marantz BD8002 Blueray, DVD, CD player I got from a local AK member. It's a tank at about 25#s.
Various Sony, JVC carousel players.

You are most welcome!

Eventually, you might want to consider using your computer to house the music library for faster access. While my approach requires the use of a home network, I'm able to leverage the power of my i7-860 desktop to perform the library duties using Logitech Media Server (LMS) software. Load time? None! LMS creates indices for accessing the music by artist, genre, year, album, playlist, searching, etc. and caches the album art.

The other advantage to using a central music server is that it is accessible by multiple devices. I use a microRendu player in the main system attached via ethernet. The garage system uses an inexpensive Raspberry PI running piCorePlayer via WiFi. The Oppo 103 in the HT also uses WiFi access. Download and/or rip music once and it is available to all your music systems. I use the iPeng app for control and have it on my phone and two pads. Not only does it serve as remote, but player as well. An iPad can be a pretty decent player when fed lossless hi-rez content, albeit limited to 48/28. It will play 88/24 and 96/24 content, but down samples to either 44 or 48, respectively. I use mine in conjunction with Shure 535se IEMs for listening in the bedroom.

The LMS software is free and you can assemble (quite simply) a Raspberry PI player for just over $100. It's compact and, with a good power supply (I prefer a batter source) can provide excellent performance. You choose either a digital out "HAT" board as I do for use with an external DAC or an integrated DAC. Here's a pic of mine:

Thanks for all the setup suggestions E-Stat and I truly appreciate the suggestion/s
But I leave the 103 on 27/7 plugged into my Pure Sine Wave APC UPS, that also protects the Sony projector`s $ 500.00 lamp as well.
And the 103 uses less current than the business grade SSD HP lap-top dedicated for my previous foray into computer digital music playing.
A e-mail exchange with OPPO support confirmed that the player would be fine in this application running 24/7 because the motor and laser are not running and it`s loafing along in this mode..

I also don`t need nor desire to screw with a music play list and am happy letting OPPO`s RNG in the shuttle mode do it`s "dice throwing" !!
No tablets, smart phones owned or desired in house..
Also no need for interfacing with my dual band Wi Fi, as all 3 bedrooms, sunroom, garage, and workshop are line level hard wired to master living room`s A/V rack for clean hum free audio, and 4 different channels of independent video sources/feeds from composite to 1080P high resolution HDMI with UVGA, S-Video, RGB in between.
So once the 103 is loaded/running with the flash drive, it plays seamlessly from one song to the next all 16~18 hrs. a day, or until I switch over to BRDVD for my background music requirements.. I don`t do playlists, not since the seventies with records to cassettes or reel 2 reel for favorites, genre, ect.
And I think it`s neat to hear Bach then Clapton, Miles, ect. pop up at random.

If what plays is something that strikes me as undesirable for the mood that I`m in a the moment, then I get off my lazy cripple ass and bump it forward to the next song(very rarely !)
And as far as I can see, the only use I will ever use any computer for my music again will be the initial ripping and storage of my digital music files(which at the moment is 3 with SSD`s, plus a music file dedicated 960 Gig external SSD laying around here and a duplicate Corsair 512 Gig. Flash drive) for what I call super redundancy that all get the same updates with new, or at least to me new ripped CD`s as they become available. The SQ I enjoy now readily surpasses any computer, no matter how well beefed up, tweaked, dedicated stripped of all the bullshit background services and clean installs of OS, ect. that I have placed in digital music playback service.. I`ve tasted better now and wished to have started last year when my Sony 400 disc player jumped off the cliff..

Again thank you for the recent suggestions E-Stat Sir.
But this old dog loves this zero electro/mechanical/optical playback system(no cooling fans either to fail :thumbsup:
With six thousand songs available on the Flash drive at the moment, not likely to become bored easily even while being home 98% of the time listening to them in the background, like now. Ahh -- a little Joe Walsh playing at the moment never hurt anyone`s soul !!
Kind regards, OKB

rpi0617.jpg

The SQ I enjoy now readily surpasses any computer, no matter how well beefed up, tweaked, dedicated stripped of all the bullshit background services and clean installs of OS, ect. that I have placed in digital music playback service..
Understand that any file capable player is effectively a computer. And I agree that I don't want a general purpose laptop/desktop in my listening areas. Mine is used as file server only and is located distantly from the music systems.

I enjoy my Oppo, but it cannot match a microRendu player/Audio Research DAC for either sound quality or access convenience. The uRendu runs a lean version of Linux optimized solely for for audio use powered by an ultra capacitor power supply as opposed to the comparatively noisy switch mode PS found in the Oppo. No op amps in the signal path.

urendu_sm.jpg

rendu_internal.jpg

For a long, long time I used a Yamaha 5 disc changer; it cost me a lot of money back in the day (a lot of money for me). I broke the Open/Close button several years ago- Since then I've used a lower end Sony. For as often as I listen to CDs now... it works.

Marantz CD63E and an Onkyo 7030. (And a Playstaion1)

I want to love Vinyl, and I do, and I have a couple TTs to use as the mood strikes me.

But with 2 teenagers and always having some type of project to do thereby rarely ever being able to sit for more than a few minutes......

The convenience of a CD player and or a streamer (Squeezebox or Alexa) connected to your system can not be underestimated!

Can I get an Amen?

I currently use an Arcam Alpha 5 and a Pioneer DVD-S969AVi. I recently purchased a Technics SL-PS900 for very little money and although it does not CDs at the moment I'm hopeful I will be able to fix it.

Denon 1520
Pioneer PDR-W839 w/ Keyboard Input
Sony CDR-W33 (Super Bit Mapping) w/ Keyboard Input
Sony RCD-W50C (Super Bit Mapping)
Not all at once though...

Last edited:
Haven't posted to this thread in almost 3 years, so guess time for an update :)

Primarily using Oppo 105 now, with the DCD-1500 getting some use as part of a vintage Denon stack. Haven't used the modded Pioneer 563 in a while. May try to 'disguise' it and put it in my vintage Pioneer stack but that pig is gonna need a LOT of lipstick.

My ripping/streaming initiative has languished, but reinvigorating it soon. E-Stat, sorta digesting your posts here ... Have been contemplating JRiver but see you use LMS. Guessing the digital sub forum area better place for me to ask dumb questions?

Whatever falls to hand. I've never sweated the quality of my CD players because of the several articles I've read that insist there is no difference in sound quality between a lowly Sylvania or a hi-zoot player of some kind. And I believe it. I've read articles that involved blind tests, and golden ear 'philes were unable to distinguish between cheap and expensive.

I've never owned an expensive player, but I've auditioned them a number of times. Heard them played back to back with cheaper players, and I've never heard a difference. So I have about a half-dozen players from at least as many manufacturers that I've picked up over the years from the SA. If one of them quits, I just grab another and I'm on my way. ;)

Now, having said that, I don't disparage those who claim to hear differences and therefore invest their money in good players. Maybe (probably) their ears are better than mine. And it certainly can be rightfully argued that finer units are better built, last longer, and offer a plethora of cool features. Whatever you own, enjoy and have a good time. That's what it's all about.

GeeDeeEmm

Naim CD555. Just replaced a CDX2. Have lusted after one for a while and never thought I would ever actually get one.

I had bought its separate power supply with plans to use it with a streamer but the deal on the 555 head unit was too good to miss, so I guess I will stick with CD for a while longer.

Seems more laid back than the CDX2 but I have only had it for a day so a bit early to pick up on all the differences.

Naim CD555. Just replaced a CDX2. Have lusted after one for a while and never thought I would ever actually get one.

I had bought its separate power supply with plans to use it with a streamer but the deal on the 555 head unit was too good to miss, so I guess I will stick with CD for a while longer.

Seems more laid back than the CDX2 but I have only had it for a day so a bit early to pick up on all the differences.

Please post again when you have a more concrete assessment of new unit. Are you able to us PS with CDX2 to compare that way too.

Please post again when you have a more concrete assessment of new unit. Are you able to us PS with CDX2 to compare that way too.
I previously used the 555PS with my CDX2 for over a year so what I can already say is the wow factor going from CDX2 + XPS2 to CDX2 + 555PS was far greater than going from CDX2 + 555PS to CD555 + 555PS.
Also the step from XPS2 to 555PS on the CDX2 was greater than going from raw CDX2 to CDX2 + XPS2.
Basically the 555PS is a great PSU.
I must add that the CD555 is only the third cdp I have owned (had a Sansui CD-x711 before the CDX2) so I will never be able to compare it to a vast array of other machines.

Last edited:
I previously used the 555PS with my CDX2 for over a year so what I can already say is the wow factor going from CDX2 + XPS2 to CDX2 + 555PS was far greater than going from CDX2 + 555PS to CD555 + 555PS.
Also the step from XPS2 to 555PS on the CDX2 was greater than going from raw CDX2 to CDX2 + XPS2.
Basically the 555PS is a great PSU.
I must add that the CD555 is only the third cdp I have owned (had a Sansui CD-x711 before the CDX2) so I will never be able to compare it to a vast array of other machines.
Thanks for your comparisons Steve. Seems like the 555ps is an all important upgrade and the cdx2/555ps is the sweet spot in the Naim lineup.

Back
Top Bottom