1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What CD Player Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by bonaccmj, Nov 25, 2014.

1. cube-tube

cube-tube Super Member

Mine is the Oppo BDP-105D.

Funny thing is, in the past 3 years of owning it, I've only played a handful of Blu-Ray movies in it and absolutely no CD's at all. All of my music is either streamed from my NAS or Tidal, or vinyl spun on my old Technics SL-1700 MK2. My entire CD library was ripped to FLAC onto a huge NAS drive in the other room via JRiver.

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Idunno

Idunno AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've a Pioneer PD-S904 Legato Link Stable Platter hooked up to my SX-1980.
    Kickin'! :rockon:

20180210_002414.jpg

3. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Onkyo DX-G10 is here.
    84FC55FB-95BA-4344-AA6F-D72C2F0DEA33.jpeg 924FA70B-E9E5-4DC5-B1BA-2A7FB79EB7D2.jpeg 96DFD0A9-C550-4D85-BDF8-145B1E6B6884.jpeg

4. Worried Man

Worried Man Super Member

Yamaha CDS-700.

Single drawer. Opens and closes smooth as silk and like a whisper. Modern (about 4 years old now). Comes with a USB port for other music sources, but I've never used it. Simple, clean design, and low profile. Sound-wise, I have a hard time detecting differences among better CD players, but to my ears, it's excellent; I used to get fatigued listening to CDs on other players I've had but I've not experienced that with my Yammie.

lightcapture and red 111 like this.
  5. MadcatSowega

MadcatSowega Member

I have been using a vintage NEC player from the late 80's for quite awhile. I'll have to double check when I get home but I believe it is this one:

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/nec-cd-500e-138.html

It's nothing too special but it reliably plays all the discs I've thrown at it. I also appreciate that it has a fully metal faceplate and buttons from an era when nearly all the CDPs were made with lots of plastic. Eventually, however, I'd like to snag either a higher-end audiophile player or vintage vertical loading one for the attractive visuals.

6. dswann01

dswann01 Well-Known Member

I use a Technics SL-P1 that I bought new in 1985 at Long's Electronics in Birmingham, AL. I replaced the disc drive belt last year and the player works and sounds great (at least to me).

IMG_3886(2).JPG

MacPhantom and Ds2000 like this.

7. 1984_C10

1984_C10 Active Member

Sony DVP-NS900V.
    It recently came to my knowledge that my very player was owned by the acoustic engineer Renato Lira from Audiokit.com.br .
    I use it as a transport for both CD and SACD reproduction. While it already has a really good DAC inside, the DAC on my Denon sounds a tad nicer, so i use it instead of the original one from the player.
    The irony of it all is, these players cost a fortune to buy here in Brazil, but they can be picked up next to nothing in the US, thankfully i didn't have to pay for mine because my friends gave it to me as a birthday gift.
    [​IMG]

Drugolf and Ds2000 like this.
  8. armyslowrdr

armyslowrdr I don't want one..LOL

TEAC CD-2000 in my hi-fi stack. A Sony 5 disc changer in the home theater, and some cheap (read 29$) department store special in the bedroom near the treadmill and small tube tv.

Ds2000 likes this.
  9. manu et deo

manu et deo I'm loving it! Subscriber

OPPO Dv-980h and a Sony CDP-cx225. OPPO is just recently acquired from BT and is my first "high end" player. Sony was purchased as part of a set 19 years ago as my wife and I first together stereo for our apt. Still rocking it and the cds that were last changed out in it around 2008. Both are only transports as I use a outboard DAC which is currently a Halo P5.

10. pahhhoul

pahhhoul AK Subscriber Subscriber

A Denon DCD-596 that a Craigslist'r gave me when I bought some equipment from him.

Nate Stanek likes this.
  11. Graceman

Graceman Active Member

A rather elderly Philips CD104B circa 1987.

Ds2000 and xero-D-hero like this.

12. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Now I know what to smuggle in with me next time I go down there! I have brought Levis and peanut butter for friends so how hard will it be to bring a large piece of audio equipment?!

1984_C10 likes this.
  13. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_0555.JPG
    I'm running the Onkyo C-7030. For the money,probably one of the better players out there. Eventually,when funds permit,I will upgrade. Upgrade to what, I haven't quite figured that out yet.

john111/LZ, Audioraven and Ds2000 like this.
  14. 1984_C10

1984_C10 Active Member

You could make a false floor on a large bag, maybe it works!

15. SwingModern

SwingModern Well-Known Member

California Audio Labs Delta HD-CD Transport

Ds2000 likes this.
  16. Ds2000

Well the Onk is a mess, just plagued with issues. My favorite? The whine of the cd spindle motor in the right channel, along with weird distortion and noise which increases in quiet passages. And of course, the previous owner was mod happy (Christ I hate mods in items like this. The engineers who designed it spent a lot of time on it, leave it be) so no tech will look at it now. So this one is for the bin, hopefully I can find something else for this guy to send. Ugh.
    EDIT: I’ll fix it myself, it’ll be a learning experience. I’ll need freeze spray, seems a heating up component is responsible for the noise.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

17. Audioraven

Audioraven Active Member

That's too bad. That Onkyo looked bada$$!

dswann01 likes this.
  18. Ds2000

Agreed. And I am working out the details, so I’m not screwed for the deal here. If I can, I’ll just put this in a bin for a later date when I’m not so busy and sort it out then. Can’t be too difficult, something isn’t filtering a noise seems to be the main issue. Plus the two drawer belts.

Audioraven likes this.
  19. Nate Stanek

Nate Stanek New Member

I use a Pioneer PD-65. Love it..

Pioneered, Audioraven and Ds2000 like this.
  20. BrianLW

BrianLW New 'Hood' Subscriber

I've been enjoying a Phillips CD-50, but it's starting to act up again (stuttering) so I will likely swap in a Rotel RCD-955AX.
    They each sound great on their own, but to consolidate inputs, I run thru a Schiit Modi Multibit, along with an internet tuner and a Raspberry Pi based FLAC server.
    The Rotel was free, but had loading issues and a broken open/close button, so it just cost me some bench time.

xero-D-hero likes this.