What CD Player Do You Use?

I'm just curious as to what kind of CD player(s) everyone is using (and what y'all think of it). What do you like about it? What do you dislike? Is it very good? Good enough to compete with your record player? Changer or single disc? SACD? DVD? Vintage or modern?

If you say please I'll post about mine, but prepare to be disappointed :/

Yamaha CDS-700.

Single drawer. Opens and closes smooth as silk and like a whisper. Modern (about 4 years old now). Comes with a USB port for other music sources, but I've never used it. Simple, clean design, and low profile. Sound-wise, I have a hard time detecting differences among better CD players, but to my ears, it's excellent; I used to get fatigued listening to CDs on other players I've had but I've not experienced that with my Yammie.

I have been using a vintage NEC player from the late 80's for quite awhile. I'll have to double check when I get home but I believe it is this one:

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/nec-cd-500e-138.html

It's nothing too special but it reliably plays all the discs I've thrown at it. I also appreciate that it has a fully metal faceplate and buttons from an era when nearly all the CDPs were made with lots of plastic. Eventually, however, I'd like to snag either a higher-end audiophile player or vintage vertical loading one for the attractive visuals.

I use a Technics SL-P1 that I bought new in 1985 at Long's Electronics in Birmingham, AL. I replaced the disc drive belt last year and the player works and sounds great (at least to me).

IMG_3886(2).JPG

Sony DVP-NS900V.
It recently came to my knowledge that my very player was owned by the acoustic engineer Renato Lira from Audiokit.com.br .
I use it as a transport for both CD and SACD reproduction. While it already has a really good DAC inside, the DAC on my Denon sounds a tad nicer, so i use it instead of the original one from the player.
The irony of it all is, these players cost a fortune to buy here in Brazil, but they can be picked up next to nothing in the US, thankfully i didn't have to pay for mine because my friends gave it to me as a birthday gift.
Z0g7iK5.jpg

TEAC CD-2000 in my hi-fi stack. A Sony 5 disc changer in the home theater, and some cheap (read 29$) department store special in the bedroom near the treadmill and small tube tv.

OPPO Dv-980h and a Sony CDP-cx225. OPPO is just recently acquired from BT and is my first "high end" player. Sony was purchased as part of a set 19 years ago as my wife and I first together stereo for our apt. Still rocking it and the cds that were last changed out in it around 2008. Both are only transports as I use a outboard DAC which is currently a Halo P5.

Sony DVP-NS900V.
It recently came to my knowledge that my very player was owned by the acoustic engineer Renato Lira from Audiokit.com.br .
I use it as a transport for both CD and SACD reproduction. While it already has a really good DAC inside, the DAC on my Denon sounds a tad nicer, so i use it instead of the original one from the player.
The irony of it all is, these players cost a fortune to buy here in Brazil, but they can be picked up next to nothing in the US, thankfully i didn't have to pay for mine because my friends gave it to me as a birthday gift.

Now I know what to smuggle in with me next time I go down there! I have brought Levis and peanut butter for friends so how hard will it be to bring a large piece of audio equipment?!

Now I know what to smuggle in with me next time I go down there! I have brought Levis and peanut butter for friends so how hard will it be to bring a large piece of audio equipment?!

You could make a false floor on a large bag, maybe it works!

Well the Onk is a shitbox, just plagued with issues. My favorite? The whine of the cd spindle motor in the right channel, along with weird distortion and noise which increases in quiet passages. And of course, the previous owner was mod happy (Christ I hate mods in items like this. The engineers who designed it spent a lot of time on it, leave it be) so no tech will look at it now. So this one is for the bin, hopefully I can find something else for this guy to send. Ugh.

That's too bad. That Onkyo looked bada$$!

That's too bad. That Onkyo looked bada$$!
Agreed. And I am working out the details, so I’m not screwed for the deal here. If I can, I’ll just put this in a bin for a later date when I’m not so busy and sort it out then. Can’t be too difficult, something isn’t filtering a noise seems to be the main issue. Plus the two drawer belts.

I've been enjoying a Phillips CD-50, but it's starting to act up again (stuttering) so I will likely swap in a Rotel RCD-955AX.
They each sound great on their own, but to consolidate inputs, I run thru a Schiit Modi Multibit, along with an internet tuner and a Raspberry Pi based FLAC server.
The Rotel was free, but had loading issues and a broken open/close button, so it just cost me some bench time.

Current rotation: Yamaha cdc-775 changer, Sony dvp-s9000es, Marantz dv-9600, Onkyo dx-c320, Yamaha dvd-c996. Yeah a mix of value.
A Marantz cdr-615,(Oldest, most expensive in it's day) and a Pioneer Elite dv-37 in reserve with several Yamaha and Pioneer changers.
Gotta buy if I find good for cheap.Have not found a good for cheap now in more then a year. Times are a changing.

Back
Top Bottom