What CD Player Do You Use?

Philips CD960 - still going strong after 23 years - built like a brick s house! one of the best analog sounding players of it's era

Wazy

Attachments

• philips-cd960-inside.jpg
    philips-cd960-inside.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 114
Sony CDP-707ESD:

14438729322_21141cfac9_b.jpg

Onkyo C-S5VL SACD player in the stereo system. (No longer imported to the U.S.)

Oppo 103 for the home theater.

My favorite was my Line Magnetic players but I don't have one at the moment. I am presently using a Marantz SA8005, Marantz CD6004 and an Oppo BDP 103. My wife has a Rega Apollo.

Sony CDP-X77ES..40lbs of copper plated awsome. Build quality like no ones business with not much expense spared. I pretty much use it as a transport. In the bedroom I run an Acurus ACD11.

I'm down to two: a Panasonic dmp-bdt500 in one setup and an onkyo integra dx-5500 another. The panny has proven to be superb for redbook plus the ability to stream and play FLACs off USB drives is rather nice. The onkyo I think is nearing the end so I'm passively hunting for its replacement, hopefully another swing arm magnavox is waiting in the wings.

Main Rig- Sony XA5400ES
Vintage Rig - Marantz SA8003
Office Rig - Philips DVD 963SA
Regards,
Jim

Technics SL-P555
Sony CDP-302
JVC XL-V250

The Technics sounds the best, the Sony is built the best and the JVC is bloody impressive.

How does that one compare to the NS500V? I have the 500.

OP, I primarily use the Sony DVP-S7000. Got it cheap. But I'm one of the ones that can't tell much difference between CD players. They all sound good to me.

The 500 is an awesome player that I purchased new, thought the same as you that all CD players pretty much sound alike. Plus the 500 got great reviews favorably comparing it to many decks that at the time sold for $1500. Due to this delusional thinking I plugged away with the 500 and really didn't give digital music playback much consideration. The opportunity came along to get the 900 cheap, was looking for a unit for the bedroom so I bought it not expecting all that much. Boy was I wrong, this gave me a whole new respect for CD and SACD as a music media along with my vinyl. Liked it so much I purchased a second unit and gave the 500 to my son. If considering this unit I wholeheartedly recommend it, you won't regret your purchase.

Been using my Denon DCM-440, great player, digital output into my Denon PMA1520 sounds incredible. That and my Onkyo DX-C390.

technics_sl-pd8.jpg

I bought a technics slpd8 new in about 1999 I liked the changer functions and random play mode. It since stoped working but I found a used slpg 100 single play when they work properly they sound great I listen to more vinyl though.

sl-pg100.jpg

I've had MANY CD-players, but been without a dedicated unit for a few years as I was on the streaming/NAS-train(my old car has a CD-player though).

Anyway, it started with a 1978 DD Technics vinyl spinner(SL-3210) I found in the recycling room a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't resist repairing it to fully working order. The vintage bug had bit me.

I made place for the spinner above my PC-workstation, together with a black Sony-amp; but if I spin LP:s why not spin CD:s? It's fun changing record manually and look/feel the physical cover :)

I searched the web for second hand Technics and Sony CD-players, as I wanted some visual harmonization. It didn't take me long to down a black Sony CDP-XB930 from 2001 for 50$! Totally worth it, high build quality, speedy and sounds really good. It actually matches the amp(TA-FB940R) perfectly as they where built the same year and in the same series(QS). None of them may be true vintage as they where made as late as 2001, but let's just say they are from the dusk of the (HiFi)era ;-)

CDP-XB930 is with the fixed laser, so it has a magnetic puck, adds to the vintage feel. So does the variable digital filter(it works!). Very happy about the find. I thought my Sony BluRay/SACD/Network-player in the living room was the last optical reader I ever bought, but I was wrong ;-)

Yes, there is nowadays a "complete" old school HiFi-system by the PC ...

edit. I forgot to mention what it plays through; KEF Coda 7:s w. subwoofer support or Sennheiser HD600.

20141123_202821.jpg

Last edited:
Pioneer Professional CDJ ==(S/PDIF)==> Vintage SONY DAC
Apple Airport Express ==(S/PDIF optical)==> Jitter remover ==(S/PDIF coaxial)==> Vintage SONY DAC

Last edited:
JVC 1050.

For the most part, though, I listen to vinyl.

Spotify streaming at 320kb if I don't feel like jumping up after every record. :)

Back
Top Bottom