What CD Player Do You Use?

I use a number of pioneer M series in each setup that take the 6 disc cartridge. I had the foresight to buy a couple 3 packs from circuit city back in the day - now those cartridges are rarer than hens teeth. I have people buy my worked over M series that I run thru the biz, just to get the cartridge.

Philips / Magnavox FD-1010

IMG_20130223_110104.jpg

In the den system, Cambridge Azur 540C:

IMG_3420_zps7fd10847.jpg

and in the main system, Arcam Alpha 7SE:

IMG_4047_zpsc00a8042.jpg

Yamaha CD-S700. NOS Nakamichi OMS-4A awaiting repairs. Began with a component grade portable (line-out jack equipped) Technics SL-XP2 in 1990. Nakamichi came in 2007. Made do with portables again for a few months: Sony DE-J011 CD Walkman. Bought Yamaha earlier this year.

I've used a Sony playstation in the back yard through a PA Amp and a Cerwin vega speaker for cook outs sounds remarkable.

I'm just curious as to what kind of CD player(s) everyone is using (and what y'all think of it). Marantz CD-46
What do you like about it? Sounds good, easy and cheap to fix (new laser in 2010; $16)
What do you dislike? User unfriendly remote :thumbsdn:
Is it very good? It's a rebadged Philips cheapie, but it matches my system well enough
Good enough to compete with your record player? Sounds much better than my TT
Changer or single disc? Single disc
SACD? DVD? CD only
Vintage or modern? Bought new in 1998

I play CDs on the blu-ray player listed below. My finding when listening to standard CDs is that they sound good in CDPs, better in DVDPs and best in BDPs. That's just how it sounds to me.

Aside from sound quality, like that it plays every type of disc that I own and some that I don't yet have. Thus eliminating the need for 2 or more disc players. It has the 2 outputs I need; analog stereo and HDMI and audio can be eliminated from the HDMI out which I did. It is what I need it to be.

Last edited:
PS Audio PerfectWave Transport MEMORY PLAYER

I was skeptical before I bought it, but after a night of side by side with my Rotel rcd-1520 I believe it was money well spent. I think it sounds pretty good.....for a cd.

High res. is the digital future... just ask Neil.

How does that one compare to the NS500V? I have the 500.

OP, I primarily use the Sony DVP-S7000. Got it cheap. But I'm one of the ones that can't tell much difference between CD players. They all sound good to me.

Like apples and oranges.

I'm using a Marantz CD5003 as a transport that I bought new 3 or 4 years ago, I run it through a Music Hall dac25.2 and it sounds very good. It doesn't get used nearly as much as my turntables, but it sounds almost as good.

I used to have a weakness for some of the better CD\DVD players. In my system I use a McIntosh MCD-205. The others I have setup and use to keep them working.

The MCD-205

Should anyone be interested in what the others are just let me know. I did a shootout years ago with them for fun.

Reactions: DC
I use a Cary 306 SACD Pro. I play mainly SACDs on it. The rest of my digital library is stored on my Mac mini (using Pure Music) which is connected to the 306 by way of a Stello U3 USB converter. I run the Mac mini 'headless' with apple's remote app on my ipad/iphone.

I spin CDs with a Cary 306/200 and play Blu-Ray disks with an Oppo 95. What I like most about the Cary is that it's musical and will allow you dig deep into the music.

JVC 1050.

For the most part, though, I listen to vinyl.

Spotify streaming at 320kb if I don't feel like jumping up after every record. :)

:thmbsp:

I had a 1050 for several years when it was new-ish. Very well-reviewed and yet, still underrated in my opinion.

Harman Kardon HD990 CD Player. Best player I have ever owned and I have had it since 2010 with no problems. I bought it based on excellent reviews I read about it.

Back
Top Bottom