What CD player would you buy for $500 or less

I would look at the pioneer PD901 this cd player with the stable platter still to this day kills many modern players I have known many people sell/trade theirs and then gone out and bought it again, it is an amazing player

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430923506243.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430923506243.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 45
I am very fond of my Jolida JD602A which I purchased for $90.00 on EBay. It is a modified Sony unit, basically changed caps and modded by Jolida with tube output. Sounds very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought Onkyp 7030 CD player and am extreemly pleased with the
outstanding SQ it produces.
Have been using Pio. PD-908 with Dacmagic which drameticlly improved the Pio. SQ.
Both are fine performers.

Just bought Onkyp 7030 CD player and am extreemly pleased with the
outstanding SQ it produces.
Have been using Pio. PD-908 with Dacmagic which drameticlly improved the Pio. SQ.
Both are fine performers.

My new Onkyo 7030 failed after only a few hours. There is a lot of discussion on the hoff forum but I don't want to take it apart so there it sits.
Specifically, it goes on and off randomly or one channel goes out temporarily, on and off.
So I went back to my $500 used Rega Apollo. No problems with that one and sounds great too.

I never had a decent CD player until I got the Emotiva ERC-2, probably the only player I will have, sounds magnificent.

Your familiar with the OPPO stuff. Step up to the BDP 103 for $399. There is now a factory upgraded unit "Darbe", I belive it's called. Upgraded analog circuits/Power supply/Vibration control. Trust me, For digital playback, It rocks. Believe the upgraded unit is $649, Something like that.

New Onkyo CDP

Since experiencing sellers remorse after the sale of my reVox B-225 a couple of years ago I've had several 1980's vintage CDP's. I've gone through a Marantz;NAD;JVC;and Magnavox players,I decided it was time to buy something new for about $300-easier said than done I was to find out. I did my research and found a brand new Onkyo C-7030 online for $170 and couldn't be happier with the purchase. The Onkyo C-7030 CDP looks to be a very well made unit for such short money,it has a very neutral sound,which is what I expect from a CD Player,has all the features one would expect-even at its modest price point. My only complaint so far would be with the layout and size of the remote control-and that's a very minor point. I also think it looks great with my Sansui gear. I've only run about half a dozen CD's through it so far,but I can't see myself being disappointed with the Onkyo any time soon.....

Attachments

• Onkyo C-7030 CDPlayer.jpg
    Onkyo C-7030 CDPlayer.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 26
I'm sure people will weigh in with lots of different choices.

Me personally, I'd look for a good mid-to-late-1980's CD player - Kenwood, Sony, Technics, Philips, etc.

They were still a relatively new technology. State of the art DACs at the time, Made in Japan with quality components. Aluminum face plates, etc. MSRPs were high and again, build quality was excellent - built to last.

I'm running an early 90s Sony CDP-C801ES - outstanding unit. Also a Kenwood DP-850.

good luck!

^ +1. For serious listening I run a TOTL monster NEC CD-903... the word "awesome" doesn't even come close to describing what it's capable off!

New Onkyo CDP

Since experiencing sellers remorse after the sale of my reVox B-225 a couple of years ago I've had several 1980's vintage CDP's. I've gone through a Marantz;NAD;JVC;and Magnavox players,I decided it was time to buy something new for about $300-easier said than done I was to find out. I did my research and found a brand new Onkyo C-7030 online for $170 and couldn't be happier with the purchase. The Onkyo C-7030 CDP looks to be a very well made unit for such short money,it has a very neutral sound,which is what I expect from a CD Player,has all the features one would expect-even at its modest price point. My only complaint so far would be with the layout and size of the remote control-and that's a very minor point. I also think it looks great with my Sansui gear. I've only run about half a dozen CD's through it so far,but I can't see myself being disappointed with the Onkyo any time soon.....

Mine has been great for about 2 1/2 years now. Loved it when new, and like it even better now, after a good set of I/C's went on it. It's built like a brick house. If you like it this much after only 6 CD's, wait till its broken in!

Yamaha CDX-1120 for less than $300 and Yamaha CDX-1100U for around $200, both ebay market rates. The 1120 features dual transformers and four DA converter chips. The 1100U also has dual transformers and a pair of DA chips. The vast majority of CDP's have a single transformer and a single DA chip.

Cambridge - Azur 351C or Marantz 6005.
Well I spoke too soon on the Cambridge. Sounds great, but the door sticks about 60% of the time now. I found I'm not the only one with this problem. Sending it back. Having horrible luck with new audio lately.

Pick up a used Marantz SA8004.
Regards,
Jim

Well I spoke too soon on the Cambridge. Sounds great, but the door sticks about 60% of the time now. I found I'm not the only one with this problem. Sending it back. Having horrible luck with new audio lately.

Your luck might be better if you stayed away from gear with the "Made in China" warning label on the back panel. Both the Cambridge player and the Marantz 6005 have it, which means that neither one would make it onto my short list if I were shopping for a CD player.

Back
Top Bottom