What constitutes "Vintage" equipment?

So what? WTF do you care what somebody else calls their own equipment?
I don't care, I'm pointing out how ridiculous it sounds and pointing out reasons why it's being used.

Now, as far as you quoting me, and in hostel angry manners that will stop or we can go have a talk with the administrators.

Do not reply back to me...in fact refrain from ever quoting me again.

I don't care, I'm pointing out how ridiculous it sounds and pointing out reasons why it's being used.

Now, as far as you quoting me, and in hostel angry manners that will stop or we can go have a talk with the administrators.

Do not reply back to me...in fact refrain from ever quoting me again.

Talk to who you want, I could care less. Oh I have no idea "hostel angry manners" means. Are you worried I won't use air freshener at the local hostel?

Feel free to put me on ignore any time you want.

Talk to who you want, I could care less. Oh I have no idea "hostel angry manners" means. Are you worried I won't use air freshener at the local hostel?

Feel free to put me on ignore any time you want.

Me putting you on ignore doesn't stop you from trolling me with a bad disrespectful attitude, I just don't see it. Administrators can easily search all your postings and see the behavior you have towards me and correct the issue one way or another. Or you can grow up, your choice, because I'm done with you ****ed up attitude towards me for nothing at all.

Got a POV on this. Simple. Hope it hasn't been already mentioned.

"Vintage" really depends upon the person who is assessing it.

As in age of them.

Think about it.

Q

Last edited:
I have a Vintage Pioneer SX-1980 that I use in my main system driving a pair of Vintage JBL L250s < this person is stating what they have and doing. But they have a hang up and feel stating vintage makes the equipment better in some way.

You will hardly ever see a mac owner calling their gear vintage, just by the model number. Once in a while you do get a noob calling what they just got vintage as a carry over from where they where at.

Positive Feedback ISSUE 77
january/february 2015

The Vintage McIntosh Experience: A Musical Ride With The MX110Z Tuner/Preamplifier and the MC30, MC225, and MC240 Amplifiers
by Jeff Day
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue77/vintage_mcintosh_experience.htm
1-McIntosh-MX110Z-MC240-MC2.jpg

Me putting you on ignore doesn't stop you from trolling me with a bad disrespectful attitude, I just don't see it. Administrators can easily search all your postings and see the behavior you have towards me and correct the issue one way or another. Or you can grow up, your choice, because I'm done with you ****ed up attitude towards me for nothing at all.

By all means let them search. You get the respect you earn.

Ok, I see what you all are getting at here and all of us I think have some good points.

The term vintage does seem to get thrown around a lot, and mostly that’s because of marketing and nostalgia - or more accurately the marketing of nostalgia, which has turned that into a buzzword to get our attention and get us in our comfy feels.

But here’s the twist, and it was mentioned earlier in the thread, (so when I go back and find it, I’ll edit in the quote), in the right marketplaces, that word can make the difference between someone finding an item or not; and even more so, possibly have it pull in a slightly higher sale price because of it.

As a test, I just searched for ‘vintage Yamaha receiver’ over on ebay. It returned 146 sold results - almost all of which were 1970s wood cabinet/silver face. Searching for ‘old Yamaha receiver’ only returned two - both of which were more modern black AV receivers.

Furthermore, in comparing the sold prices between just standard listing titled ‘Yamaha CR-1020’ and ‘Vintage Yamaha CR-1020’, it’s clear (albeit with a couple exceptions) that the ‘vintage’ ones sold for significantly (about $100-$250) more than their non-buzzword-added counterparts. (Disclaimer: I didn’t bother reading each listing to see if there were issues or advantages with each specific one that would command a lower or higher price.) If I wanted to sell my CR-1020 over there, you better believe the word ‘vintage’ is going in the listing title, mainly because there might be somebody searching for that look that the word ‘vintage’ mentally conjures, and they might not necessarily just know it by the model number alone. Those 7 letters are worth some coin come time to sell.

Back to AK:

Here, since I know I’m around company that is very familiar with different ages and models of equipment, I don’t feel the need to use the word vintage, and tend to use it sparingly or only when I’m referring to other items in different threads - like my vintage lamps hanging over in the MCM thread.

That’s about all I’ve got so far on the use of the word vintage as it applies to audio equipment here. I get the counterpoints to using it, but I do think it has its place at times.

On a tangent, strangely enough, my Toyota convertible, which has been eligible for ‘non-modified classic’ tags here for two years now, has never been referred to as classic or vintage by me - just ‘that old Toyota I drive’. LOL

Back
Top Bottom