What could be improved in the audio world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a big difference between imposing regulations were none are needed (bad), and offering advice based on your knowledge and beliefs (good).

I have no problem at all if someone wants to spend all their hard-earned, perhaps limited savings to buy 5000 USD speaker cables, to reuse the original example. That's his or her decision.

However, if the opportunity arises and it seems appropriate, I will make a reasonable effort to help said buyer make an informed decision, based on my knowledge and beliefs and what I know of what he or she wishes to achieve with said cables. I expect others to do the same, whether they agree with me or not.

It's part of belonging to a community, rather than just acting for yourself. It's the right thing to do.

Sure, rotten broccoli is bad no matter what, but there is no musical equivalent. Music doesn't rot. There's only music you like and music you don't like, and what's rotten to you might be great to someone else and vice versa. You might hear something that to you is like rotten, moldy, mushy, maggot-infested broccoli in, uh, your ears, but to someone else it's tasty, fresh, and bug-free.

In short, there is no such thing as objectively "good" or "bad" music. It's all personal preference.
You've clearly swallowed the pill. Yes, from among the "good" it's personal preference... from among those melodies that are "worthwhile" for which there is consensus among the masses, quite possibly not here on this site, but I would be willing to wager that if we all participated in a poll, the vast majority would agree the new, and original, melodies being invented are crap whether you call it music or not. Anyone lamenting they're bored and tired of all the classic stuff has a very limited collection of such. Talk about the baby and the bath water; laughable. The very same medium that was marketing the good stuff is now marketing the bad.

There's a big difference between imposing regulations were none are needed (bad), and offering advice based on your knowledge and beliefs (good).

I have no problem at all if someone wants to spend all their hard-earned, perhaps limited savings to buy 5000 USD speaker cables, to reuse the original example. That's his or her decision.

However, if the opportunity arises and it seems appropriate, I will make a reasonable effort to help said buyer make an informed decision, based on my knowledge and beliefs and what I know of what he or she wishes to achieve with said cables. I expect others to do the same, whether they agree with me or not.

It's part of belonging to a community, rather than just acting for yourself. It's the right thing to do.
Exactly, and so is my duty to steer you and others around this cesspool of incoherent musical sequences run amok.:)

You've clearly swallowed the pill. Yes, from among the "good" it's personal preference... from among those melodies that are "worthwhile" for which there is consensus among the masses, quite possibly not here on this site, but I would be willing to wager that if we all participated in a poll, the vast majority would agree the new, and original, melodies being invented are crap whether you call it music or not. Anyone lamenting they're bored and tired of all the classic stuff has a very limited collection of such. Talk about the baby and the bath water; laughable. The very same medium that was marketing the good stuff is now marketing the bad.
A poll would at best be a good example of argumentum ad populum; nothing to do with any objective measure of good or bad music -- let alone worthwhile vs crap melodies -- and being "bored and tired of all the classic stuff" is a separate discussion.

How do you distinguish a worthwhile melody from a crap melody?

How do you define good music vs bad music?

A poll would at best be a good example of argumentum ad populum; nothing to do with any objective measure of good or bad music -- let alone worthwhile vs crap melodies -- and being "bored and tired of all the classic stuff" is a separate discussion.

People are far more alike than they are different.

The problem with what an artist can express to the masses, that act and behave too much alike is the music industry itself to include the manufacturing companies that sell electronic equipment and design software. What people do for money.....that influences our choices. There have been artists that were producers putting out their own music, but only a few intelligent knowledgeable people are able to involve themselves in that method. So many people to include artists feel they are entitled to do the least as possible to get the money they think they deserve. Then there is the actual problem of reaching an informed intelligent public that isn't led astray by social media. Too many things and people (sadly without them actually knowing it) are manipulated and controlled by big money. Groups like U2 and others have tried to raise awareness only to have their influence shuttered by corporate propaganda so that many will always be under their influence. In this day and age there are few concerned intelligent individuals and so many lost to main stream enticements that promise the moon for the convenience of doing less... Then if artists started to point at the ills of society...who would listen ?

Sounds of Silence !

I do listen and I'm sure I'm not alone. Sure artists don't get political to keep their career up (maybe punk bands are an exemple of the opposite). History have exemples of artists who fought and resisted, I hope we'll see more if them in the future.

To answer to OP topic, I find myself quite the optimist and am quite content with the current state of affairs. I'm a happy camper!

1. By virtue of decades of meaningful and thoughtful evaluations of the shortcomings of audio gear, industry leading manufacturers have stepped up the game and trickle down technology has been a key result. Which has led to...
2. The cost of getting really good sound is far lower today than when I started off in the 70s.
3. Digital music has really come of age with a far better understanding of early failings, the availability of true high resolution recordings and the advent of high quality streaming services like Tidal HIFI which provide easy access to hearing new music.
4. Despite the fact I'm an old boomer, I just love the convenience of having all my (digital) music stored in a central location that is quickly accessible from multiple systems by using my iPhone or iPad. I spend more time listening than shuffling media to and from shelf and player. I have that capability with video, too.

There remain challenges and I can offer no solutions:

1. The almost disappearance of brick and mortar shops makes it more difficult to audition a wide range of gear.
2. Related to #1, that also means that relationships built from spending time at those places are likewise harder to find. I would not be where I am today if it were not for them.
3. While guys like John Atkinson of Stereophile do their best to link measurements to that which we hear, they remain sorely lacking in providing value in terms of what is truly responsible for sound quality. They can make specific and gross kinds of determinations, but are next to useless in truly conveying the big picture.

Last edited:

I'm still trying to get my head around the 1990 thing.

I will make a reasonable effort to help said buyer make an informed decision, based on my knowledge and beliefs and what I know of what he or she wishes to achieve with said cables.
As do I using different evidential criteria. In every case, however, (just like what every good audio journalist tells you), such recommendations should be used to narrow your scope for what to audition so that you can truly make the most informed decision - your own. Just waving your hands in the air about psychoacoustics does nothing.

I It's part of belonging to a community, rather than just acting for yourself. It's the right thing to do.
That's why we're here, right? :)

I live in Quebec, if you prefer Canada, but that's another debate
Montreal is a beautiful city. Wifey and I traveled there last summer for the F1 race a la Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. We loved walking the old city and seeing the street performers in the city where Cirque de Soleil began.

My French from elementary and early high school is beyond rusty so Je n'ai pas parler beacoup de Francais!

Perhaps, but a popular survey still doesn't give us any objective measure of good vs bad anything; it only identifies popularity.

How do you define good music?

How do you define bad music?
Consensus is a strong indicator. Without going into music theory, I can safely assert mathematics itself is a strong indicator of which musical sequences are/would be appealing and which just aren't.
I do listen and I'm sure I'm not alone. Sure artists don't get political to keep their career up (maybe punk bands are an exemple of the opposite). History have exemples of artists who fought and resisted, I hope we'll see more if them in the future.
History has/will debunk the imposters

I have to drive 5 to 6 hours to get to Montreal, the cultural life there is awesome. I'm trying to improve my english here, that's why I always edit my posts. The audio community is limited in my hometown, that why forums becomes handy.

Yet, it didn't.
Why not just throw out 1950, 1960, or 1970 as when it ended?
Why? Because worthwhile melodies were 'being' produced. Actually I will be so bold as to declare it was during that time frame and throughout the 80's that music enjoyed it's heyday and developmental fruition. And then it finished it's course. Not a sad thing, just a fact. There's lots you have yet to discover. Not enough time in one's life to discover it all.

Why? Because worthwhile melodies were 'being' produced. Actually I will be so bold as to declare it was during that time frame and throughout the 80's that music enjoyed it's heyday and developmental fruition. And then it finished it's course. Not a sad thing, just a fact. There's lots you have yet to discover. Not enough time in one's life to discover it all.
I seriously can't get my head around how you think worthwhile melodies were being produced up to 1990(or whatever), and then "it finished it's course".?
There have been many heydays when it comes to music, and it's fruition.
Sorry, but what you're getting at is not a fact, it's an opinion. Not to mention personal taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom