What d/b or spl when you're listening

I have no idea, or any way to measure it. Depending on what I'm playing and what source it is (vinyl, cd, or tape) the volume dial will vary. A good vinyl pressing with stuff I really like playing, my 120 watt Pioneer receiver's volume dial could be anywhere between 11 o clock and 1 o clock. Usually the watt meter is at a constant 1 watt and peaks hitting at about 100+. It doesn't seem too loud but then again I played in rock bands for a couple of decades so I guess it's all relative. ;)

Not sure the db level but for casual listening I listen at very low levels. I'll get carried away at times and crank it for maybe 1 song but doing all I can to preserve what I have left. Down to about 13.5K tops for high end. I'm 57. I found this tone generator site which I used to figure that out. http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Thought you'd all enjoy this screen pic from a minute ago for "new posts" ...

spl-hearing-loss.jpg

Oh. And in answer to the OPs question ... loud when it needs to be, maybe 103db on crescendos ...

That's a little ambiguous. Are you trying to drown her out? Does she not like loud music? Is she trying to drown out the neighbors? Are you trying to cover some noise your making together?
Ha Ha Ha wasn't thinking I'd come across that way.

I wouldn't try to drown her out, she won't let that happen
No, she don't like the audio loud, and I really don't either. I just like it a bid higher than she does.
My home is big enough that we never hear the neighbors (thank God)
I'm not shy, so together noise is not an issue.:D

As the room improved the sound level went down. Below 70. Got it down fairly low now most of the time. We can now talk and hear good detail in the music at the same time.
What a concept.
But when I'm home alone...…………..

My Kef Q100s seem to like about 70db average .. (65-83 hi/low overall range) from my listening chair. Usually don't have to use the meter .. when I hit the correct level .. just "sounds right" .. then I check and it's usually around 70db (give or take a little).

F731EA15-B38D-4FDC-9DCB-6DD214BABA8D.jpeg

103dB to 107dB spirited short term HIGH VOLUME feeling/listening to 24bit~192kHz lossless Rock or Symphony music.

85C1AAD8-3BEF-4A82-BA50-14ADC3214E00.jpeg
Normal listening 90dB-95dB A weighting.

Last edited:
Enjoying the responses :beerchug: I find I'm generally at 65-68 db depending on tunes and mood . We shall see what happens when the Yamaha M4 gets here :) I already have tinnitus from a lifetime of work with inadequate hearing protection .

thanks

If I am seriously listening to music, which is not POP music, loud passages are around 85 to 90 db. Peaks can be 10 times that but they are so short most Sound level meters don't record them accurately always. Bass peaks are easily measured pushing 96 with classical recordings. Telarc and Reference Recordings can get a little on the extreme side as can some of the older Mobile Fidelity Recordings.. I have some of my own recordings where peaks can be much higher than average levels and I normally reduce the level for loud passages to be about 85 db. I loose 10 db to 8 db in level from the level 4 ft from in front of my speaker which was the old standard. So that means both speakers have to put out about 108 db total for me to hear 100 db at my listening position. Thats about 20 to 30 watts for both speakers combined. I have a total of 500 watts per speaker, not including the super tweeters. I have only seen the Power Guard lights flash once or twice playing the Telarc 1812 Overtures when the canons fired while I was being a little crazy. Even when I pull out some old disco stuff on 45 rpm singles, of Donna and the BEE GEEs, I seldom go above 95 db, and that music is highly compressed with very few peaks. When I have friends over 85 db to 80 db are normally loud levels. 2 watts or so. My speakers are 10 db less efficient that Corner Horns so cut your power requirements by 1/10 how much power you would need. Mac speaker owners, my 2 watt levels are about 12 to 16 watts with XRT 28's XR-7's and ML-2's. Magico speakers bout 12 watts, too. So where I might need only 60 watts on a rare occasion, for my speakers. Magico and Mac owners might need 500. And if I should use 200 watts, they would need 2000. And Klipsch would only need 20. I wonder if the speaker manufacturer are into collusion with the amp companies? I can remember when 75 watts amps were the top of the line, unless you bought an industrial amp like the MI 200. Thats why Paul designed his speaker to be efficient and produce way over concert level with 30 watts. We should be so lucky if every one did to day!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom