What d/b or spl when you're listening

A weighting from a real meter.

Anyone ever notice the football stadiums that have scrolling bullshit , and put up some decibel reading that the crowd is making? 140 some odd number. BS

Spend $4.00 for an App for your ip0ne you will be with in 1 db and that's close enough for our purposes. Set the Weighting to Z and the speed too fast to get an idea how loud the sound really is. A weighting slow shows levels that might damage your ears over long periods. The App I use has an accumulation mode so the meter acts like a hearing damage Dose meter.

usually in the sixties, or low seventies, but mostly low sixties.
Every once in a while when I get a wild hair, I'll crank it to the eighties and even more rarely the nineties.
I get exposed to 120 db at work (a REAL 120 db, music or white noise) enough of the time(and of course I wear earplugs, 120db, is stupid loud) that I really don't need it at home super loud.

The old ways of responding like
flame on and RTFM doesn't work anymore, on this forum every question has been asked, multiple times.

brave new world out there, and all that.

Ok, about 62db when the wife is home (sometimes less) and about 74-80db when it's just me. Ambient room level is about 45-50db.

Spend $4.00 for an App for your ip0ne you will be with in 1 db and that's close enough for our purposes. Set the Weighting to Z and the speed too fast to get an idea how loud the sound really is. A weighting slow shows levels that might damage your ears over long periods. The App I use has an accumulation mode so the meter acts like a hearing damage Dose meter.
The problem with Apps is that they can only register maybe up to 100 dbA.

My decibel meter only cost around €20-€25 on ebay, and goes to 120db; that should be enough ;)

I listened to Sad Wings of Destiny from Judas Priest last night. Most of the time the peaks were in the low 80s, but went up into the 90s sometimes, and one peak hit 101 dbA at the listening position. Since the average level was much lower, it didn´t seem that loud over all, and my ears weren´t ringing after the listening session; at least not any more than usual. I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember :(

I just ran into our neighbors who live under us. He asked me if I had a new system, as they have been hearing my music lately :)

I told him I had new speakers :)

He also asked me if I was measuring my room. It turns out my frequency sweeps were clearly audible in their whole apartment :)

He was really cool about it, and said it didn´t bother them; he even offered his help. It seems he knows a thing or two about accoustics.

Even though he was very friendly, I´ll probably keep the volume a bit lower when listening to Metal in the future. They rarely hear my classical music, and even when they do hear bits and pieces of it, it doesn´t bother them.

Cool neighbors :)

The problem with Apps is that they can only register maybe up to 100 dbA.

My decibel meter only cost around €20-€25 on ebay, and goes to 120db; that should be enough ;)

I listened to Sad Wings of Destiny from Judas Priest last night. Most of the time the peaks were in the low 80s, but went up into the 90s sometimes, and one peak hit 101 dbA at the listening position. Since the average level was much lower, it didn´t seem that loud over all, and my ears weren´t ringing after the listening session; at least not any more than usual. I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember :(

Not the app I'm using lol.

Screenshot_20181002-061812.png

I just ran into our neighbors who live under us. He asked me if I had a new system, as they have been hearing my music lately :)

I told him I had new speakers :)

He also asked me if I was measuring my room. It turns out my frequency sweeps were clearly audible in their whole apartment :)

He was really cool about it, and said it didn´t bother them; he even offered his help. It seems he knows a thing or two about accoustics.

Even though he was very friendly, I´ll probably keep the volume a bit lower when listening to Metal in the future. They rarely hear my classical music, and even when they do hear bits and pieces of it, it doesn´t bother them.

Cool neighbors :)
Can't live without having my own 4 walls, floor and ceiling included.

Back
Top Bottom