What DAC Sounds Like Vinyl, Better Value than Audio Note, Under $5K used?

If you want a vinyl-like sound, I don't think the DAC will get you there.

I suppose you could get a DAC that provides detailed resolution and then choose recordings that were recorded directly from vinyl. That will get you most of the way there. Or you could digitally record your own records and play them back with the most detailed DAC you can find: I think some people find that to be successful and I believe it is common in Japan to preserve the integrity of the record.

Another option is a DAC with a tube preamplifier. Tubes aren't vinyl of course but it will tone down the digital perfection that can sound harsh, and provide a semblance of that warm vinyl background. Peachtree does some good ones.

I don't know if that helps but I don't think you can buy a DAC that will magically transform a digital recording to a vinyl-sound one.

None of them can until mastering engineers and producers leave good audio alone and tread lightly. Until this happens, digital will rarely sound as good as it could have been.

None of them can until mastering engineers and producers leave good audio alone and tread lightly. Until this happens, digital will rarely sound as good as it could have been.
Surely this argument goes both ways? In which case then, the medium is basically irrelevant to sound quality.... (makes sense to me).

Analog's limitations you speak of also prevent what happens too often in the digital world from happening. You can't go too far wrong from good sound in this case. Only so much level analog handles, so much bass, so much treble. In digital, nothing is there to stop you from really abusing sound in a DAW. This is the point I am making.

Analog's limitations you speak of also prevent what happens too often in the digital world from happening. You can't go too far wrong from good sound in this case. Only so much level analog handles, so much bass, so much treble. In digital, nothing is there to stop you from really abusing sound in a DAW. This is the point I am making.

Amen brother. Limitations on abuse.

Try and find a Museatex Bidat..sounds better than my Esoteric D07.
Sounds like record...
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this DAC.

Also thanks to the others who posted recommendations for DAC's a while back.

Last edited:
DACs are the snakeoil playground of choice for every audio company. Most use the same Chinese boards in a fancy box BTW. DAC chips can be had real cheap at mouser so the chip isn't as important as circuit design IMO.

I tried quite a few until I finally got one that I listen to without being irritated. Hegel HD12.

I love vinyl and still prefer listening that way. My albums dont pop and tick. I take care of them. And I clean then on the VPI clone I built. I ignore reissue or albums recorded digital. No point going vinyl for those.

So many hats throw in this ring already. All I can say is I am happy with the Hegel. I am sure there is better but at $1400 it works where nothing before did ... for me.

Lampizator Level 7

09.jpg

I'm very happy with my PS Audio direct Stream DAC. It's the best sounding digital I have ever heard inside of my system.

MQA is lossy, so it's not going to replace the equivalent PCM and DSD files stored local.
Someone should tell those at Meridian that their new format is lossy because they seem to think otherwise. http://www.cepro.com/article/meridian_on_new_mqa_lossless_audio_format_artist_authenticated
I haven't tried it, know of no one who has so only know what I read. To hear them talk there is some sort of revolution coming. I don't know this for sure, only that if funds were less than unlimited I would hold off buying a new high end DAC right now until this whole MQA thing blows over as a hoax... or perhaps not.

Someone should tell those at Meridian that their new format is lossy because they seem to think otherwise. http://www.cepro.com/article/meridian_on_new_mqa_lossless_audio_format_artist_authenticated
I haven't tried it, know of no one who has so only know what I read. To hear them talk there is some sort of revolution coming. I don't know this for sure, only that if funds were less than unlimited I would hold off buying a new high end DAC right now until this whole MQA thing blows over as a hoax... or perhaps not.

It's lossy, there claim is no musical content is lost so it's lossless. The data they do throw away to squash a 24/192 source into a 24/44.1 stream is "inaudible" according to them. Sound familiar to another format but at a much higher bit rate?

I'm not saying it won't sound good as they claim to have designed the format to avoid the usual digital to analog conversion filter issues you get with lower bit rate pcm data, I just don't think mqa should hold anyone back from buying a dac right now. Mqa rollout seems to be dragging on a little as well.

Back
Top Bottom