What did you do this weekend?

dlucy

dlucy67 (Doug)
Staff member
Subscriber
My weekend (so far) has been filled with perforated metal bending and powdercoating, trying to buff Myland's wax to a shine on the black walnut Sx-626 case, and watching Bruce's mahogany HK 330A case's tung oil coat #2 cure in the sun.

IMG_3211.JPG IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3202.JPG

Very nice work there dlucy, they look great :thumbsup:. I have been applying multiple coats of scandinavian oil to the walnut case and recapping/replacing all 2SC458's on the pre-amp/phono amp on an old Akai AA-6000.

Very nice work there dlucy, they look great :thumbsup:. I have been applying multiple coats of scandinavian oil to the walnut case and recapping/replacing all 2SC458's on the pre-amp/phono amp on an old Akai AA-6000.

Scandanavian oil? I've never hear of that.

The woodwork is beautiful and nice clean work on the metal. Is that an actual bending brake, or did you improvise? (Either way, looks like a crisp, straight bend.)

Oldsansui441, I think you must be right. Even the name is similar to the Watco Danish oil I've used for over 40 years. That's great stuff, too.... I used Watco teak oil (which is part tung oil) on my speakers, but I think I'll grab a can of Watco Danish to freshen them up, once they've started to show some dryness.

Around 90 degrees here, too hot to work at my bench in the garage. The girlfriend and I spent the weekend in the pool reading library books... and trying to keep them dry so we don't have to pay for them!

Did have a buddy bring his guitar amp by. I always work on these right away, since most of my musician friends gig. Quick fix, turned out to be a bad phase splitter tube.

black walnut Sx-626 case, and watching Bruce's mahogany HK 330A case's tung oil coat #2 cure in the sun.

Did you build these cases yourself, they are beautiful, if so you would get plenty of work around here :biggrin:.

I used Watco teak oil (which is part tung oil

How does the tung oil come up?

The girlfriend and I spent the weekend in the pool reading library books... and trying to keep them dry so we don't have to pay for them!

Sounds like a good move in the heat, wish it was that time of year again here, damn cold.

The woodwork is beautiful and nice clean work on the metal. Is that an actual bending brake, or did you improvise? (Either way, looks like a crisp, straight bend.)

Thanks!

It is a plain old bending brake from Harbor Freight. It doesn't have movable fingers, so you're limited by the number of bends you can make to a single piece.

I'm using perforated aluminum for the vents in the SX-626 cases, so the bending over and over just creates a fatigue tear. I have to put the edges through a sanding and rounding step to produce a clean, handle-able edge. The powder coating is just about as easy with a small oven in the garage and the Sears Craftsman powder coat gun.

Did you build these cases yourself, they are beautiful, if so you would get plenty of work around here :biggrin:.

Thanks! I'm curing a case for a Harman Kardon 330A that I just sold and the two SX-626 cases are for a completely-restored Pioneer I'm finishing up today. I'll put it up here in BarterTown and offer the buyer their choice of the black walnut cabinet or the glowing-golden mahogany one. Whichever one they don't pick to go with the restored Pioneer will be put up in BarterTown next. The 626 sounds even better than the 330.

Well the weekend isn't over yet. EST USA at this post time.

oldsansui441; I think the Watco brand has a small amount of japan drier. Good lemon oil polish on finished jobs works good too.

It's this one here, l am certain it is just another name for Danish oil. It works well, l use it on my speakers also but l am not a woodworker by any means just an amatuer.

I'm no professional, but access to a local woodworking makerspace (monthly fee gives you access to 5,500 sqft of bright, shiny, new space and $1M of woodworking machines and tools) allows me to do things I could never do with wood here in my garage.

When I was making cabinets for other AKer's in the last few months I experimented with the results of different finishes on different woods. It may be a little hard to see them all, but here is mahogany, black walnut, birdseye maple, and white oak with various Danish oils (with and without stain color), teak oil, tung oil, and some dyes and topcoats:

IMG_3220.png IMG_3222.png IMG_3223.png

Hamfest yesterday... Guy gave me a Phillips CDP,,, fixed the broken pivot on the loading drawer gear, listening to it now... Sorting thru the transformers and parts I got also...

knockbill nice fix. Where was the Hamfest? Doing our weekly shopping with the other half. Spent time on AK. dlucy nice metalwork and on the woodwork looks great.

Last edited:
Good lemon oil polish on finished jobs works good too.

I've got to try that! The finish tung oil gives has proven to be my favorite, but several people have added a wax or wax-based polish to the cabinets once they receive them.

One person says he was very pleased with the shine from put feed-n-wax on a cabinet.

I've tried adding a proper newly-finished-wood wax, Myland's, and buffing it like crazy, but it didn't shine as much as I'd expected. The cabinet is well protected and has that long-lasting furniture feel to it, but it lacks the shine and sharpness that I prefer.

Do you have any photos of your lemon oil results? I'd love to see them!

Went and helped a friend with his mom's AC yesterday. Originally nothing would go. Cap was bulged. New cap got the compressor going but no fan. New fan motor wouldn't go, wires were reversed. Once we got it actually going, it seems to be low on charge since its not actually cooling. I have a jug of R22, need to come up with a set of gauges to actually connect it up now.

2 years ago the hvac company told his mom it wasn't worth fixing and just turned off the breaker. No explanation why, but if the problem was simply a bad cap and a low charge thats fairly pushy tactic to try and get an AC replacement job out of a retired lady on fixed income.

2 years ago the hvac company told his mom it wasn't worth fixing and just turned off the breaker. No explanation why, but if the problem was simply a bad cap and a low charge thats fairly pushy tactic to try and get an AC replacement job out of a retired lady on fixed income.

Yeah... screw the old gal.. Had a decent AC guy who serviced my parents place and didn't mind giving advice or charging$ for real work done for an hour check and put on account . I've replaced many start cap and new fan motors. TOL service people in my area will clean the units because of junk build up from dust and pollen etc. few drops of fan oil. etc. regular off season/ pre season a/c fee charges before the hit on summer temps here. cleaning is big need to do and easy to do. I find the hit and run guys here just want to install new units meanwhile a couple of parts and assure no a/c coolant leaks (bad sign) etc. semi annually can keep even 15 year old or older units working. You'd be surprised how many repairable units go into a shop and get repaired and resold.

Flip is how many people get new installed units and ignore annual preventative cleaning and inspection, too.

What did I do this weekend, aside from mowing?? Contemplated trading my beloved Sansui 9090db and $800 bucks boot for some McIntosh XRT20's.

Still considering. Not an impulsive kind of guy.

Back
Top Bottom