What do I Do?

Oceanwolf

I just picked up a C26 and an accompanying mc2505. I have a pair of Bose 901s with equalizer, Akai 4000 reel to reel, pioneer h-r99 8 track player, dual 1218 turntable, squeezebox transporter and a pair of outdoors speakers. How do I hook them up?
This is what I’m planning; I connect the squeezebox transporter to tuner in. H-r99 and akai take the tape inputs. Dual goes to phone input. The Bose equalizer goes in between the c26 and mc2505.

Now what do I do with outdoor speakers. Mc2505 does not have A&B speaker selection and I don’t want the equalizer to change their output anyway. Is the main speaker output of the c26 have enough power to drive a pair of bookshelf type speakers?

Thanks

The C26 does not have speaker outputs per say. Rather, it has an on-board speaker A / B switcher that is interfaced with the power amplifier. In addition, the C26 doesn't have an on-board headphone preamp. Rather, that is also powered by the power amplifier and a byproduct of using the internal speaker switcher. You may want to download a copy of the C26 Owners Manual and read up on the speaker switching and then you'll understand the nature of how the speaker terminal strips are labeled.

901s are super power hungry with the EQ. The MC2505 may not be enough to drive them to realistic levels. Either way, you're going to need a 2nd amplifier to drive the outdoor speakers which does not have the EQ in circuit.

If the Bose EQ has a tape loop built into it, it could be connected to either Tape Loop, and either tape deck connected to its tape loop. Then, you could connect the MC2505 to the on-board speaker switcher of the C26. The 901s would be connected to the MAIN Speaker Outputs and the outdoor speakers to the REMOTE Speaker Outputs.

When playing the 901s, you would also have the tape loop engaged with the 901 EQ. When playing the outdoor speakers, you would have that tape loop disabled. Both at the same time and you can either use the EQ for both or have it off for both.

I am lucky to get the original manuals with the preamp and amp. Possibly I will buy a small amp to drive the outdoor speakers. My current pioneer sx-680 is also under powered for my 901s at 35W per channel, but I really do enjoy them.

The 2505 when operating properly will put out between 65-75 WPC before clipping. So if the Pioneer puts out listenable sound then you should have a little power to spare with the 2505. Unless arena rock levels are your thing. :)

Possibly I will buy a small amp to drive the outdoor speakers.

If you don't have the small speakers your planing on using outside. Think about powered speakers, this way you'll have it all in one package and can be setup and removed easy.

Thanks fo the powered speaker idea. I had a pair of Boston Acustics HD7 for outside use, but I will use them somewhere else. Decisions, decisions.

If the Bose EQ has a tape loop built into it, it could be connected to either Tape Loop, and either tape deck connected to its tape loop. Then, you could connect the MC2505 to the on-board speaker switcher of the C26. The 901s would be connected to the MAIN Speaker Outputs and the outdoor speakers to the REMOTE Speaker Outputs.

When playing the 901s, you would also have the tape loop engaged with the 901 EQ. When playing the outdoor speakers, you would have that tape loop disabled. Both at the same time and you can either use the EQ for both or have it off for both.
I don’t have the Bose EQ per se. I have a miniDSP that I programmed Bose 901 curve. I am trying to avoid using tape loops for the equalizer so I can connect R2R and 8 track players. I don’t have a matching tuner yet, I may use the tuner input for one of the tape players. I don’t think I will be recording.

Use the second set of low-level outs from the C26 and go to an input on the SX-680 (I don't think it has pre-out and main-in so you will probably need to use AUX or TAPE), use the SX-680 for outside speakers. This also leaves the option of using just the 680 for outside music without the Mc system powered up, for example tuner or with a bluetooth receiver from your phone.

I'm using a C28 with a 2100 and 901's. I have the EQ between the pre amp and amp as I use both tape monitors. Never had an issue. You did not state witch version 901's you have. the IV on up are not as power hungry as the earlier ones. I've had the IV and VI and driver them with as little as 40 watts with no issue.

I'm using a C28 with a 2100 and 901's. I have the EQ between the pre amp and amp as I use both tape monitors. Never had an issue. You did not state witch version 901's you have. the IV on up are not as power hungry as the earlier ones. I've had the IV and VI and driver them with as little as 40 watts with no issue.
I have 901 Continentals. They are Series II. I listen to rock ballads etc in a small room. So amp power was not issue for me.

I don’t have the Bose EQ per se. I have a miniDSP that I programmed Bose 901 curve. I am trying to avoid using tape loops for the equalizer so I can connect R2R and 8 track players. I don’t have a matching tuner yet, I may use the tuner input for one of the tape players. I don’t think I will be recording.

I'd be interested to know how you did that with the MiniDSP. I don't have one yet, but if it is a simple enough process I will buy one.

Here is my current setup. I also have a kt-5500 that I am working on to fix the lights.
The squeezebox Transporter sounds great, I wish my 8 track tapes would stop breaking. I know it comes with the age. I was listening to Jim Croce and Eagles, they both broke. I have shrink wrapped ELO, wondering if I should open.

The only problem is, too many components, add the tuner, this will turn into a skyscraper

Attachments

• 2F3111E4-6DD0-490A-91F3-FD23681EF699.jpeg
    2F3111E4-6DD0-490A-91F3-FD23681EF699.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 17
  • B2D33A98-FEFC-4B6F-B678-F24AEA0245E3.jpeg
    B2D33A98-FEFC-4B6F-B678-F24AEA0245E3.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I won't get into 8-track specifically as I have never supported that format but, ... the tape is likely acetate which shouldn't really have changed much over the years (magnetic part will though, good luck with fidelity of original ones). If you're breaking tapes I'd suspect that the clutch on the take-up is pulling too hard on the tape.

I won't get into 8-track specifically as I have never supported that format but, ... the tape is likely acetate which shouldn't really have changed much over the years (magnetic part will though, good luck with fidelity of original ones). If you're breaking tapes I'd suspect that the clutch on the take-up is pulling too hard on the tape.
Good call, I’ll check that out. I replaced the belt, but it posibbly needs more attention than that.

Good call, I’ll check that out. I replaced the belt, but it posibbly needs more attention than that.
Before any 8 track aficionados bite our heads off for being uneducated, I checked the mechanism, there is no take up in an 8 track tape. The pinch roller is the only part that turns. It is an endless tape so it does not need take up. I guess my tapes are just old. I’ll open up an fix them.

Back
Top Bottom