What do I replace the Infinity 6 Kappa "Polydome K" midrange???

MKP0

Hi, got my hands on a pair of 6 Kappas. I am new to the world of hifi and plan to use it with my Dual 1218.
I need to replace the midrange drivers because the silicone is cracking and falling off.

What do I look for and how do I know it's compatible?

Thanks.

Hi, got my hands on a pair of 6 Kappas. I am new to the world of hifi and plan to use it with my Dual 1218.
I need to replace the midrange drivers because the silicone is cracking and falling off.

What do I look for and how do I know it's compatible?

Thanks.

You can always send them to Miller Sound and get them redone. They would not be clear anymore, but a black. Though it probably has been a very long time since the original 6 Kappas Polydomes were semi clear anyways. There is some here who have had it done, and can comment on the sound quality of having Miller Sound redo them. Some of us are taking a crap shoot on trying to preserve the ones we have (no scientific studies have been done on preserving whatever material it is made out of), but I am sure one day, even those will meet their doom, and will need a new material.

x9iQDRj.jpg

Hey, MKP0, there's been tons of discussion here on this very subject. Search here for polydome. Unfortunately, we've yet to find a perfect replacement.

Should I spend on getting it replaced or sell as is because I will definitely make more than what I bought it for.

How about these ones?
I believe those have been suggested in the past, and have been found wanting. If you do the search I suggested earlier, you should one or more threads discussing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe those have been suggested in the past, and have been found wanting. If you do the search I suggested earlier, you should one or more threads discussing it.
Yeah I found a lot of posts about the polydome replacements. I just don't know if it's worth spending 100/150aud on replacement when I got both speakers for 280.

They are well worth putting money into if you plan on keeping them. Not so much if you plan on flipping them. Another possibility is you'll find another pair of kappa 8 or 9 and you'll have a pair of replacement poly domes for them have already fixed/replaced these for your 6's. You can fix them yourself if you are handy. I did a couple pair, big pita...there's a thread with pics etc.

How about these ones?

Nope. I don't believe they extend as low as they need to go, as the original 3" Kappa Polydome. At least, not without crossover modifications. Plus, those domes were used in the previous RS series, which consisted of the RS3A & B, RS4A & B, RS5 and RS5B, and RS6A & B. Good speakers too, and their domes don't fall apart.

Also, if you check your thread in Dollars & Sense, I provided links for all of the commercially available options. While not perfect, that's all there is, other than more used Kappa domes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. I don't believe they extend as low as they need to go, as the original 3" Kappa Polydome. At least, not without crossover modifications. Plus, those domes were used in the previous RS series, which consisted of the RS3A & B, RS4A & B, RS5 and RS5B, and RS6A & B. Good speakers too, and their domes don't fall apart.
I checked the spec sheets on Infinity Classics, and the Polydome on the Kappa 6.1 is crossed over at only 100hz lower than on the RS4B, which uses the smaller Polydome. It's quite possible that the crossover frequency on the RS4B was chosen for reasons other than the dome's lower limit. However, I don't know if the impedance is the same for both, which would require crossover work on the Kappas (and these crossovers are not the easiest to work on - they're dual printed circuit boards, stacked). FWIW, the RS4b is rated at 4-8 ohms, while the Kappa 6.1 is 6 ohms.

It would be great if these actually worked as a substitute since they're readily available and don't deteriorate with age. However, as I posted earlier, they've been discussed before.

Back
Top Bottom