What do we know about an ERA 444?

There is a trim weight, I'd forgotten. That, and the missing sled, equals replace arm.

Yes, It's obvious from the mechanics of the arm that there had to be. Plus, those hash marks on the arm wand have to be for something.

Replacing the arm would be the simplest solution, IMO, especially since the anti-skate would likely be integrated into it as well. All it takes is money. ;) The 60Hz capstan or entire 60Hz motor really becomes the critical element then.

John

I say smoke it while you got it. It is a nice looking table. Then again motor and arm? How's the suspension and plinth? Thats going to be about all thats left other than the platter. It is cool though.

I say smoke it while you got it. It is a nice looking table. Then again motor and arm? How's the suspension and plinth? That's going to be about all that's left other than the platter. It is cool though.

Cosmetically, it's pretty decent. There's a little scuffing on the aluminum panel from the platter rubbing it, I assume from the platter coming adrift during transportation rather than from playback. It's mostly concealed by the platter. There's also just a little bit of oxidation on the platter rim. The suspension seems quite good.

I just noticed something about the leaf spring suspension. It's adjustable. It's possible to shift the yoke the springs are attached to up or down, thereby changing both the amount of preload on the springs and the difference in preload between the upper and lower pairs. Rotating the yoke downward releases some of the tension on the lower pair and adds tension to the uppers. This increases VTF. Rotating the yoke upward accomplishes the reverse.

NOTE: In the absence of a manual, I have no way of knowing whether you're supposed to do this or not but I think you are.

This is a strange and wonderful arm!:D

John

ERA 444 005.jpg

ERA 444 006.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea they had of starting from zero. That's a swell arm, at least conceptually. Would like to see it working.

I like the idea they had of starting from zero. That's a swell arm, at least conceptually. Would like to see it working.

The thing about it is it combines elements of static balance and dynamic balance arms..... in a way. Though, at least as far as I'm able to dope things out, the springs don't contribute to the VTF as they do on a dynamic balance arm. By sliding the large counterweight and/or adjusting the preload on the springs, you achieve neutral balance. Then, using the (missing) trim weight, you set the desired VTF.

John

If you can wait 6 months or so I have an arm in storage I can salvage for you. You'll need to pay postage, and, more importantly, remind me, but I'm happy to send it over for you. It has the parts you are missing.

If you can wait 6 months or so I have an arm in storage I can salvage for you. You'll need to pay postage, and, more importantly, remind me, but I'm happy to send it over for you. It has the parts you are missing.

Thanks! That sounds like a plan! And it gives me 6 months to figure out the frequency issue.

John

Hi there, I have read many issues concerning Turntables and have finally joined the Audiokarma club.
I have a passion for turntables and have recently acquired an ERA 555.(American sold) Model
Parts missing, are the anti skate weight with its wire/nylon and perhaps if it does exists for this model? the moving weight that might possibly go on the arm.
Otherwise it is all there (Including the magnetic gallows). Turned it on and it spins with the right speed, plays Ok, but needs some much needed TLC.
What I can tell is that it never has never been serviced (Screws underneath still have tell tell paint on them) and also have the 45 weight spacer which is critical for the correct speed as the weight of the spacer slows the platter down to it's correct 45rpm speed.
Don't have time to work on this, but if anyone is interested in this, let me know, perhaps we could do a trade.(Need a Dual 680 motor for my Dual 601 or a good cartridge)
Oh Year also have the dust cover, has a piece missing out of the corner, but it is so cheap and flimsy, I would not even think about putting it on even if it was perfect.
I don't want money just want to fuel your passions and make these machine sing again.

Peter

Hi, I realize this thread is old by now but I just wanted to say that I own a ERA 555 and didn't even know that there supposed to be a trim weight on the arm. I use a digital needle gauge and set the force by moving the counterweight. I am pretty sure this creates the same effect as using the trim weight. Just a bit more convenient with the trim weight I suppose? Also, you must be able to use any weight that fits.

Welcome to AK. Yes, the tracking force can be set accurately without the trim weight.

John

I own an Era 444 turntable, ages approximately 40 years, in perfect order and without any part missing. Including the ugly smoke-grey cover.
I bought it in 1975 (I think) as a student; couldn't really afford it, but it was the most beautiful piece of technique I'd ever seen ......and it still is!
I kept it for decades, now it's merely a piece of art. Records I play on a B&O tangential turntable, another masterpiece.
The Era 444 is for sale. I live in Holland.
View attachment 929770 View attachment 929771 View attachment 929772 View attachment 929773 View attachment 929774 View attachment 929775 View attachment 929776 View attachment 929777

Very interesting table in excellent shape -- thanks for the pictures.
Just to let you know -- any offers of equipment or offers to purchase have to be in Bartertown or the classified section. The moderators work diligently to keep all other other forums for discussion, not negotiation.

My father owned (and still has) an ERA 444. It's an interesting 'table, but far from perfect. It wasn't mine, so I can't really comment on the fine tuning and adjustability of it, but I can make a few comments about some positive and negatives, as well as its overall sonic character...

The bad:

- Unfortunately, IMHO, the suspension system for the tonearm and platter is terrible on this turntable. It bounces like crazy and causes the record to skip at the slightest footstep. You literally have to walk around like a ninja to keep it from skipping like a six year old with a skipping rope. It's ridiculous. Really, if you are considering buying one of these, consider wall mounting it for best results.

- The plinth is also a bit hollow and resonant. Unwanted vibration and noise will be transmitted into your speakers. This table needs to be decoupled from as much noise and vibration as possible for best performance.

- The motor in these have very little torque. Startup time takes quite a while to get up to speed, and you have to have a very light touch when using a record brush on it. It doesn't take much force at all to slow the platter down to a nearly dead stop when cleaning the dust off a record.

- The push/pull switch will need to be cleaned every once in a while. The contacts seem to get dirty on these.

The good:

- Due to the leaf spring system for the tonearm, it tracks VERY smoothly. About as free and smooth as you could hope for. There is no binding or hesitation whatsoever. In this regard, it just works.

- The cuing mechanism is about as smooth of a drop as you can get. Although, the one on my father's doesn't have an accurate drop. It would consistently drop the stylus about a 1/16th of an inch to the right. IDK if this was just an idiosyncrasy with my father's unit, but after getting used to it you could usually drop it accurately between tracks if need be...usually.

- IMHO, it is a nice, clean looking 'table. No bells and whistles, and I actually like the smoked plastic dust cover, as well as the fact that it is not hinged. So many hinged covers eventually crack or fail at the hinge area, but a non-hinged one will stay pristine and fully functional. It may not be as convenient as a hinged cover, but it just works. I also like the fact that the cover goes over the outer edges of the plinth which helps to keep more dust from getting in.

As for the sound, it is actually a nice sounding 'table. My father had a Rata RP 40 cartridge of unknown quality (to me) mounted on it, and he ran it through his Harman Kardon Citation 17 & 19 separates and any number of speakers. Overall though, the 'table had a warm character and an enveloping sound to it that was very organic-sounding with very good tonality. It isn't the end all be all of boldness and rhythmic drive, but one of its strong points was a very open and spacious sound with excellent soundstaging and imaging, which really leant a good sense of realism to properly recorded albums. It was very silent and made instruments stand out in stark contrast with a "deep black" background. Overall, I'd say it's a good sounding 'table. Any shortcomings it may have I think could be addressed with a better cartridge than my father had in it, and the good sounds it made were characteristic of a 'table that was well-designed enough to allow those things to happen and readily come through.

I'm not sure if I would go out of my way to get one, but overall I think the ERA 444 is a 'table worth checking out while keeping in mind its inherent negatives and idiosyncrasies. However, be that as it may, I think that if you are able to decouple it from any unwanted vibrations and noise that it is a 'table worth listening to. Just wall mount it, get some proper isolation feet for it, and enjoy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom