What do you consider your primary headphones?

A couple years ago I bought a pair of AKG-240 because I loved them back when - and still do. About $65 and I hear no reason to spend more, but admit that I'm not a huge headphone fan anyway, much preferring speaker-listening, which I can do most anytime of day or night.

However, tonight is not one of those nights. Relatives from outta town are snug in their beds in the guest room, and 2:40 am seems to be a good time to leave the Khorns dormant. The AKGs fit my big block head nicely, self-adjusting comfortably, with no pressure on my ear-dishes to make them sore. It has been so long since the last time I used them that I'd forgotten just how much I do enjoy them. Quite nice, listening to 320-bitrate Mp3s from PC to Magni Uber via Modi.

I'll second the comfort of the 240's on my big Mellon as well. I espically like them with the fabric cushions.

A couple years ago I bought a pair of AKG-240 because I loved them back when - and still do. About $65 and I hear no reason to spend more, but admit that I'm not a huge headphone fan anyway, much preferring speaker-listening, which I can do most anytime of day or night.

However, tonight is not one of those nights. Relatives from outta town are snug in their beds in the guest room, and 2:40 am seems to be a good time to leave the Khorns dormant. The AKGs fit my big block head nicely, self-adjusting comfortably, with no pressure on my ear-dishes to make them sore. It has been so long since the last time I used them that I'd forgotten just how much I do enjoy them. Quite nice, listening to 320-bitrate Mp3s from PC to Magni Uber via Modi.

I'll second the comfort of the 240's on my big Mellon as well. I espically like them with the fabric cushions.

I use velour pads on my K240s. I have one set of new pleather pads from my Studio that currently reside on my Monitor. The only thing about the pleather pads is sweat and they squeak against my glasses.

index.php

My recently completed Yamasteins. I built these out of mahogany using Yamaha 55mm orthodynamic drivers, AKG K240 ear cushions, & aluminum sportbike hdwr.
View attachment 840207

These deserve their own photoshoot thread. Stunning! :thumbsup:

I have owned a pair of K240s for many years and many years of which they were my main phones, esp for classical, jazz and natural musics. I always thought they were pretty comfortable in terms of the self-adjustment and low clamping force but I must say when I got the velour pads, the ear comfort aspect went up quite a bit. To me, anyway.

I've had several sets of AKGs since then and would consider the velour pads to be an essential part of the AKG experience.

I have owned a pair of K240s for many years and many years of which they were my main phones, esp for classical, jazz and natural musics. I always thought they were pretty comfortable in terms of the self-adjustment and low clamping force but I must say when I got the velour pads, the ear comfort aspect went up quite a bit. To me, anyway.

I've had several sets of AKGs since then and would consider the velour pads to be an essential part of the AKG experience.

I couldn't agree more. Also the K240 Studio gets a lot of flack for having muddy midbass but I find that tightens up with high current. They're really a much more power hungry set of headphones than their specs suggest. Properly amped, (I have a Fiio E11) they're my favorite portable headphone.

I'm not sure that I disagree.

If I could only keep one pair of headphones for home use, I think it would be the Q701s as they are a bit better with produced music but I think compared back to back, for more natural music, the K240 Studios I think sound just a bit more natural. Even when the bass doesn't come much into play such as string trios or quartets. They both do well with both types of music, but I just prefer the Q701s a bit more overall.

Both the K240 and the Q701s greatly benefit from an amp. I had one of the small Fiio units and that was definitely better than a phone and better than some stereo receivers but I got a Schiit Magni 2 earlier this year and while I wouldn't call it a night and day difference, I would say that it took both headphones from 'Those sound pretty good' to 'Wow... those sound REALLY good!' In another thread, I mentioned that amps make a big difference with some headphones and on a slight difference with others, but it's not just the 300 and 600 OHM models that benefit from an amp.

The 55 or 62 OHM spec looks like it should be easily driven, but they are both quite a bit better, even with a modest amp.

Sennheiser HD650 for my main system, paired with the Little Dot Mk V amp sounds really good with CD or digital files, very comfortable and with great detail.
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 with my iPad using mainly the JRiver app to play digital files - great sound, but can be a little tiring after a couple of hours
On the road the momentum are a little to big, so use my Sony XBA-4s with my iPod Classic, took my ages to get used to the whole in-ear thing, but the reward is very good sound isolation, and with the balanced armatures, a great full range sound with detail and punch

That is a tough question, but I would lean toward the Shure SRH940 headphones. The main reason is that they sound great with or without an amp.

While I love the AKG K701s, they need an amp which makes them less versatile than the Shures and I like to have a pair of headphones I can throw in a bag or keep by the couch that will sound good with pretty much anything. The only downside to the Shures is that they can expose a bad recording because they are very detailed. My Senn HD580s are much better with bad recordings, but I think they need an amp, as well.

Someone above mentioned ATH-M50s and they are good all-arounders, but I still prefer the detail of the Shures.

IMG_6366.JPG

Portable rig. iPhone 5 with data only service, Tidal HiFi, Lightning to 3.5mm adaptor, Fiio E11 amp running high current mode, AKG K240 Studio.

The iPhone 5 is a fair enough DAC. Though, I read the Ken Rockwell review of it from 2012 and came back, incredibly confused. I don't use an iPhone 5 because of that weird review, I use it because it's my old iPhone.

The K240S love current and the bass, while still rolled off in the lowest registers, tightens up with high current. These headphones are definitely colored. By the end of the month I should have a pair of K240 DFs to show me how colored. The coloration of the S makes them very engaging for electric guitars, other amplified instruments, as well as brass.

Home = AKG K240DF (EP).
Mobile = Sennheiser PX 100 II

FWIW

Bret P.

Bret how EP are those DFs you mention? The set I bought are don't terminate in the Left earcup. They terminate on both sides. From what I've read that's supposed to be the absolute earliest DFs.

Bret how EP are those DFs you mention? The set I bought are don't terminate in the Left earcup. They terminate on both sides. From what I've read that's supposed to be the absolute earliest DFs.
Not really sure to be honest.

That topic came up in the past (one cable feeding both thru the left side vs. split cables feeding both) w/no real resolution.

I cant help much with that deal,I would guess there is a reason why some are like that and others are'nt.
Me I have no idea what that reason may be.

All I can add is that my early pair have the stiffer/ribbed cable with a 1/4" plug going into the left earcup.
My later pairs both have a flexible/smooth cable with a 3.5mm plug that uses the screw on 1/4" adapter and these also go into the left earcup.

I have'nt really explored 'em much further than that...

FWIW

Bret P.

my main headphones back then before upgrading was my 240DF's. since they been gone for years and finally this year i upgraded and treated myself for my birthday/chrismas by buying pair of balanced Sennhesier HD800's with the SDR resonator mod already installed. i love them and defiantly my new all time favorite headphone.

my main headphones back then before upgrading was my 240DF's. since they been gone for years and finally this year i upgraded and treated myself for my birthday/chrismas by buying pair of balanced Sennhesier HD800's with the SDR resonator mod already installed. i love them and defiantly my new all time favorite headphone.
How did the DF compare to the HD800? I've had a chance to demo the HD800 but I've never had a chance to listen to the DF. I just bought a pair from Germany blind, keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like them.

How did the DF compare to the HD800? I've had a chance to demo the HD800 but I've never had a chance to listen to the DF. I just bought a pair from Germany blind, keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like them.

i can't personally say and not gonna claim my music memory is unmatched or anything. my df's were gone for bout couple years due to an accident with an old guitar amp head sending straight dc into the headphone jack blowing one driver so were never around when i bought my hd800's. i plan on buying another pair eventually cause i loved the df's when i own them. thing is i probably never find the pair same as mine since mine used some type of special woven cloth for the passive radiators and most df's i see use same material as the sextetts or the monitors/studios... don't know if that make difference or not. i mean i kept my df's around so one day if i ever get another pair i probably put the drivers in the other df body and see if the different type of radiators make a difference. and i will compare them to the hd800's of course. i have a modded pair of fostex t50rp i did myself and had it measured and it measured out really well and while i really love them, i thought the hd800 sounded better. same when i compared them to some stax ear speakers.

Have been using Senn HD-580's for years with a custom made tube HP amp for 300 Ohm phones. Now, using my new Master & Dynamic MH40's and built another tube HP amp for driving 32 Ohms.

Back
Top Bottom