What do you consider your primary headphones?

I am doing an experiment as of late. For the past two months I used the Sennheiser HD650s exclusively. I just switched over to the HD700s. I have noticed a cleaner sound with the 700s thus far. I am eager to try the new HD660 S as well.

My primary has changed to my AirPods. Just too simple. Easy connection, great comfort, and they actually sound much better than I expected. I bought them to try fully expecting to return them. Turns out they are excellent and worthy of all the great reviews.

For travel, though my Sony 1000’s quickly kicked the QC20’s aside as my favorites.

My primary has changed to my AirPods. Just too simple. Easy connection, great comfort, and they actually sound much better than I expected. I bought them to try fully expecting to return them. Turns out they are excellent and worthy of all the great reviews.

For travel, though my Sony 1000’s quickly kicked the QC20’s aside as my favorites.

How do they stack up to regular EarPods? I have trouble seeing the value proposition when supposedly the two sound very similar. What else do the AirPods really bring to the table for the money?

I can’t really explain why, since my mind tells me that they should sound the same, but they seem much better. Of course, I basically never used the EarPods. Maybe they had gotten better over the years. The crazy simplicity of the BT connection made me want to try them. I’m just as likely to connect them to my LG tv after the wife goes to bed as I am for music. Add that there is now a great solution for listening to Roon on the iPad and they are even better.

I got a pair of Airpods from a family member that got an iPhone then when they turned it in, they just turned in the phone.

I'm not at all impressed with the audio quality. Not that it's bad, because it's not, but I don't love the sound or the fit and there are much better wired options for ~$20.

Having said that, I absolutely LOVE the form factor and the ease with which they work. Just the model for what small wireless earbuds should be.

All this is in my opinion, of course

Xiaomi Piston 2's would be my primary HP's, together with a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+. Cheap and sufficient SQ on the go.

It's kind of embarrassing, since I both love and collect vintage Stax electrostats, but I'm happy with my speakers, and very rarely need to use headphones at home.

Xiaomi Piston 2's would be my primary HP's, together with a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+. Cheap and sufficient SQ on the go.

It's kind of embarrassing, since I both love and collect vintage Stax electrostats, but I'm happy with my speakers, and very rarely need to use headphones at home.
Rockboxed Sansa Clips with a 32gig card are the best!
I want to buy 3 more old models to forget about in a drawer for when they stop making them anymore.
Not much of a can amp, but good sound quality into a preamp for sure.
Try some Sennheiser PX-100's with that Sansa someday.
Best sounding pocket-sized, foldable, durable thrashabout on-ear cans I will never get rid of.
Sound 10x better with a simple 9V Altoid tin headphone amp.... Enough to go deaf and enjoy the sound, despite, all the way there....
Sennheiser 600's (over ear) everyday for me,.. Kind of need a "real" amp for those those. Laptop soundcards need not apply...
There's better but these do nothing wrong for my ears.
And a bunch others of equal and lesser quality for other times..... But Senny 600's for next many years, everyday listening.

Last edited:
Among earbud type headphones, I'd been using a pair of Adv M4s for over a year and was very impressed with them.

I got a pair of 1More Triple Drivers and they are the bees knees. Similar sound to the M4s, but fuller, a bit more prominent bass but not distracting (and not for bassheads at all) and more extended on the top and the bottom. Pretty much like a more grown up and more refined version of the M4s.

Sennheiser HD580's with HD600 screens and aftermarket cable. Very pleasing sound and comfortable. I don't wear them outside, at work or in the shop.

I'm looking for something different and just purchased a pair of Monoprice Monolithic M1060's. Large planar headphones, I'll see if they can beat the HD580's.

I've een listening to the HD600s quite a bit lately.

Not sure which ones I'd choose between the 600s and the Q701s if I could only keep one. They are definitely in the same ballpark, but have different pros and cons.

I've considered the 701s to be my #1 for a few years now but the 600s sound more natural. Sure, that's not the only metric, but it should be a pretty big one, esp for classical and acoustic jazz listeners.

AKG K240's. I don't really like headphones, but these are comfortable, and I have to use them for restoration projects. For headphones, they sound good.

Back
Top Bottom