what do you do when listening to music?

For those who just sit down and listen, do you normally close your eyes? I find that I can't really concentrate with my eyes open, and several responders in this thread mention closing their eyes. I feel self-conscious with my eyes closed, though (I listen in our living room and my whole family is often walking through), so that's sometimes a bit awkward.

The worst was when I was rocking out, doing a completely spastic white-man dance, and I looked up to see an entire family watching me through our dining-room windows: Our dog had gotten out and they were returning him; I couldn't hear the doorbell since the music was so loud.

They'll get used to it :D

Although a couple of your posts in this thread have tended to come across as a bit pretentious, arrogant, and overbearing, I understand that you don't really mean it that way, and you certainly make a valid point.

My experience as a long-time audiophile has been that some folks do more serious listening than others. Sometimes, those of us who do more of it than others feel that those who rarely, occasionally, or even never do so are missing out, forgetting that many different personality types are to be found within the audio community - as within the general population.

I think most of us do our share of serious listening - sometimes just for the music itself, and sometimes to evaluate a new or potential acquisition for the system. However, each listener has his own psyche, habits, personality, experience and bias - and who can really say who enjoys his listening experience more?

You've figured me out, Zonker. My posts are usually unnoticed but when it comes down to the most important aspect, THE MUSIC, I try to turn it up to 11. I simply want people to try it my way at least once.

Well said, my friend, well said.:yes:

What do you do when listening to music? read? go online? or......JUST LISTEN?

:scratch2:

I just Listen to the music.

Relax with 'nothing on my mind'.

And look at LP record jackets.

Look at my stereo system. Maybe polish the speakers and speaker stands.

Really listen to the AlNiCo magnets doing their thing!

Eat a sandwich

Turn the lights on and off

Watch the turntable go around and around

Look at 'art books' like Picasso, Miro, Warhol, and all the others. I really enjoy ART: paintings and sculpture.

Think...about things.

Think about how absolutely great some of these 60s-70s (and some 80s) bands really were! It's amazing. Such raw talent.

Think about how much I really do like Frank Zappa's music but how bad his live concert in Houston really was! (But at least I saw him, that's cool.)

Think about all the great bands I've seen in the 60s and 70s. Think about the Filmore West and Winterland. Think about San Francisco for no real reason.

Think about getting 'other' music, 60s-70s, that I had before but don't have anymore. Into a James Gang thing right now. Rides Again, Thirds, & Walsh's greatest hits, etc.

Think about how I really like Miles Davis' music but 'Bitches Brew' just really freaks me out! haha.

I think about my extensive foreign travels when I was working.

Make list(s) of things I need to do, but will never do, at least not any time soon.

That's about it, just enjoying the very late at night, early morning moment. Everyone is a sleep in the neighborhood, and I'm jammin.

Wondering when the sun is going to come up?

I do 'nothing'. And ... Nothing ' is ' Perfect !!

Drink Remy Martin, a good burbon, or Sapporo/Kirin beer.

Kick back and chill out.

I just do regular 'stuff'.

Cheers!

:beerchug:

Last edited:
I'm here to tell you its possible to listen to music and fold laundry and entertain a nine-month-old baby.

Trust me.

;-)

Matt

Back up. I just re-read some posts. "Multi-tasking is a sign of ADHD/mental disorder" "Your doing a poor job at each task/whatnot"...

Please allow me to retort.

Kiss my ass.

I am a parent. I have 6 children. I live in a 6-bedroom house. I clean it/do the laundry/wash the dishes/watch the children.

I work full-time. I've worked in a restaurant for over 22 years. I line-cook. Therefore when I run a line by myself I work 3 grills, 2 fryers and I will pull more tickets than the other line w/more people and will sell the food faster and take less time. AND my food goes out looking good and it doesn't get sent back.

SO if anyone thinks multi-tasking is bunk come on over and shadow me for a day.

On top of that I DON'T take any pills to help me cope with my "condition" as is all the rage with our children nowadays.

Folding laundry spinning viynl drinking a beer is my "relaxation".

But I suppose someone would say I'm not "hearing" the music.

rant off

Matt

Back up. I just re-read some posts. "Multi-tasking is a sign of ADHD/mental disorder" "Your doing a poor job at each task/whatnot"...

Please allow me to retort.

Kiss my ass.

I am a parent. I have 6 children. I live in a 6-bedroom house. I clean it/do the laundry/wash the dishes/watch the children.

I work full-time. I've worked in a restaurant for over 22 years. I line-cook. Therefore when I run a line by myself I work 3 grills, 2 fryers and I will pull more tickets than the other line w/more people and will sell the food faster and take less time. AND my food goes out looking good and it doesn't get sent back.

SO if anyone thinks multi-tasking is bunk come on over and shadow me for a day.

On top of that I DON'T take any pills to help me cope with my "condition" as is all the rage with our children nowadays.

Folding laundry spinning viynl drinking a beer is my "relaxation".

But I suppose someone would say I'm not "hearing" the music.

rant off

Matt

Matt....Matt....when you're at work doing all those things required by your profession that isn't multi-tasking. It's being a great employee. Sounds like you really know your stuff, man!

Taking care of your home and kids is responsibility. Many of us have done that. We raised two kids and sent them thru college. And I've folded clothes while hearing music. And washed and dried and cooked dinner and vacuumed and all that.

And I enjoyed having music present, even at work, in the car, while eating dinner or breakfast or doing nearly every task life requires.

However, as much as I enjoyed daily music it wasn't like actually "Listening" to music and only listening to music. That required rare times when I made time to focus only on music, with no worries and no guilt and no distractions. And those are rare times! I had to carefully plan ahead.

Like going to see your favorite band at a venue for 3 hours. Not something one can do every day!

"REALLY" listening to music isn't simply "hearing" music, and certainly not as background music. If one says hearing background music is 'listening' to music then I'm not being clear. Listening and hearing are different levels of experiencing music.

Imagine: a friend comes to your house to share a new CD. So you put the music on and then surf the web, fold some clothes, do some homework, turn the lights on and off, read a book.....and then tell your friend, "yeah, that was some great music, man!" Was that "Listening" to music?

Please! I'm not being snobby or pretentious. I love AK and only want to share ways to experience the most important facet of this forum. If one hasn't tried it in the way I'm relating I guess they'll never understand. And that's sad.

I apologize...

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. Didn't even realize I was doing that until I found myself thinking about it. I get carried away sometimes. Basically I'm a dolt, but man do I enjoy music.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. Didn't even realize I was doing that until I found myself thinking about it. I get carried away sometimes. Basically I'm a dolt, but man do I enjoy music.

Yeah, but your a dolt in a good way! :thmbsp:

cubdog

I don't think you did anything wrong Tapehead47, you were just giving your answer/opinion on the OP's question. I thought much of it was well said. Everybody is different of course, but I tend to be more like you in this regard. It bugs me if I want someone to listen to a piece of music and they want to just yack all the way through it. I'll just get up and abruptly shut it off. I've had them say "what did you turn that off for", and I'll say we were not listening to it, so it just became noise.

Something from my youth: Listen to music with the sound off on the TV. Started doing that during football halftimes. Funny watching rap (crap) videos to Heavy Metal music.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

... Ah, listen to music.

Is this one of those, you know, trick questions? :D

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

I don't think you did anything wrong Tapehead47, you were just giving your answer/opinion on the OP's question. I thought much of it was well said. Everybody is different of course, but I tend to be more like you in this regard. It bugs me if I want someone to listen to a piece of music and they want to just yack all the way through it. I'll just get up and abruptly shut it off. I've had them say "what did you turn that off for", and I'll say we were not listening to it, so it just became noise.

I've done that, too! Something satisfying about it even though it was done with trepedation. The next time we got together they actully listened!

Yeah, but your a dolt in a good way! :thmbsp:

cubdog

Haahaa, thank you, my friend.

happy Sunday evening to all!

Here I go again:

The OP said what do you do when "Listening to music". Listening to music. Listening to music. Listening to music. Does anybody here LISTEN? Or just HEAR music? Tell me the difference, I'm curious.

Absolutely nothing wrong with hearing music, but it's not the same as LISTENING. Or maybe Kuad phrased his post wrong? Or Webster's definition of both words are the same? Or perhaps I'm being too picky? Or maybe many of you didn't really understand the question?

when i have new albums to listen to, i do listen to it with no other distractions.
When i am sitting in the room and just want to enjoy some tunes, i usually have the laptop with me, browse forums and shop for more vinyl online :)

I have my pro audio rig and my #1 2-channel rig set up like it's a concert or something. I can sit FOH and mix if I have a band here or I can sit on my couch and critically listen to either system for adjustments. I also have my computer rig set up in the middle of that, with a 37" Vizio I use to monitor the web, watch TV and movies, and I can sit nearfield like I'm doing now. I can also sit back on the couch if the program's long enough and I want the theater effect. I can also control MediaMonkey from afar (wireless keyboard and mouse and pretty good eyes given the 37" screen), but I'm working on a wireless solution which will see me swiching back to JRiver Media Center and an Android wireless solution to go with their Gizmo app. No 5.1 or 7.1 yet, strictly 2-channel here so far. It would take a helluva good HT receiver that could double in 2-channel excellently to get me off my vintage iron.

So, do I do anything while listening? Not usually, unless I'm surfing, eating and drinking, talking on the phone if someone calls to have me look something up, that is about it. I'm too busy keeping track of everything, seeing if it's working right, and/or deciding what to listen to next!

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

So while I'm sitting there, listening to music my black n' white cat Wheels usually joins me (us). He sits on the couch, in the sweet spot next to me and gets a dirt look on his face every time I get up to flip the side, only to settle back in and enjoy the grooves. Personally, he has little tolerance for the 12" 45 RPM jazz records that have been in heavy rotation lately, too short of a play time for him, I guess and rock guitar stuff seems to get a better response. He rips out with a little rrrrrrmeow! as a good lead guitar bit comes to finish, kills me every time! Can't say I disagree.

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom