What do you guys thing of the Kenwood 1070VR?

Used to have one similar, very good sound, gets hot, really hard to find remote, not all functions can be run by face. 110 wpc and clean. Just watch the heat, it's the only amp I have had that got really damn hot running 8ohm speaks.

Hi Metal,

Perhaps this isnt the best choice for my needs if it gets that hot, this model says it is 120w, but its going to be used for my wedding reception where it will have to run for a good 5 hours at high volume, if it gets that hot I dont know if it will be able to take it.

I had the 1090VR years ago and it was a decent 5.1 receiver at the time. I never had any heat issues with it driving 5.1 AC3 stuff pretty darn hard. Like any electronic piece of equipment, as long as you have good ventilation and use common sense, it will be fine. Don't drop the impedance too low on it either. One pair of speakers is really about all it can run loud....easily, anyway.

Well I would be using this to drive 2 300w PA's, Im on a budget and it seems difficult to track down a high powered amp, locally atleast.

Even brand new the highest ive found in stereo receivers is 120, there's DJ amps that go alot higher but I want something that will sound good at home when its all said and done

Sorry I was incorrect. Mine was the kr-v990D which was a bit higher end. It used a fan that blew out the back constantly. Maybe mine had issues....no other amp has run hot like that in 10 years with the same speakers. The older 90's denon avr-3000 home theater receiver I replaced it with never breaks a sweat and sounds way better doing it. The kenny is not up to par IMO, and you can find better. Look for any of the Denon PMA series int. amps. If not that then the yamaha or hk offerings are the best IMHO. They have low impedance drive ability (4ohms) and use high current power supply sections. That means LOUD and CLEAN all day long. Here is a suggestion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RX-V870-...ItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item45f1d5a58e

Had 3 of these and ran every type of speaker you could imagine. Very roomy inside and built with all the right guts for heavy duty loud listening. My uncle puts his to the test everyday on a set of knock-off Klipch corner horns with 15" drivers and horrible efficiency. I keep thinking he will blow the damn thing up, but 5 years later it still gets abused hard. just my 2 cents worth.

Well I do have a couple family members that may be willing to buy us a decent receiver but I cant decide between the Yamaha rx797 or the HK-3490

They both sound great so thats not a factor, I cant seem to figure out which one is capable of more power though, the Yamaha is 100 RMS with 140w Dynamic power and the HK is 120 continuous.

The HK ways a couple pounds more then the Yamaha as well, but which is capable of the most power after all is said and done?

The yamaha is my biased opinion...lol I really like their gear and the parts they use in almost all of their receivers. Pound for pound yamaha still makes a better receiver IMHO.

I have one great sound powerful @ 120 wpc mine nevers gets hot running at extremely high volume. It will be a perfect choice for you Digital

Why a receiver? If you want just power, then an integrated or seperates may do. I used to run 2 KM-205, did a wedding with the setup, and the guys from the next ballroom from a band asked if I could "turn it down". :banana: :thmbsp:
KM-205/206 is 150 WPC, and will go hard all day long.

Back
Top Bottom