What Do You Like for Dessert?

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
I had a theory, that folks that are passionate about their music, and the gear that is used to produce it, would be passionate about certain genres of food. I started with the hotdog, then breakfast, and the passion is definitely there. Now, I'm going to probe the next genre: dessert. It can be as simple as an after dinner mint, or quite complex. The sky is the limit. You are welcome to include what you make at home, or what you like at your favorite restaurant.

As before, this is about what you like for dessert, not what you think about what others like. I beseech you therefore, to avoid negativity.

I'm looking for inspiration. Whacha got?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Here is one I like alot:

I like Walker's Pure Butter Shortbread Fingers, just as they are out of the box (they ain't cheap).

My beloved bride takes the Walker's Fingers to the next level, by topping them with a quality strawberry preserve, then dipping them in a freshly melted semi-sweet chocolate and putting them in the refrigerator. She leaves one end un-augmented, so one can nibble away without getting "lick the finger-itis." Tasty stuff right there Maynard.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Warm Ginger Cookies with vanilla ice cream.

When I was working in San Francisco, I would stop by Jeremiah Tower's Stars restaurant and pick up the most delicious Ginger cookies. A couple years later, Stars pasty chef, Emily Luchetti, came out with a cookbook called StarsDesserts. We had found the recipe!

Every special occasion, my wife and I, bake a batch of these spicy cookies and serve them warm with vanilla ice cream.

One or two minutes cooking time can be the difference between crunchy or chewy. For the record, my cooking time is 9 minutes.

Here is a photo of the worn page. with the butter stains, post-it notes and a broken spine from years of this sweet tradition.

IMG_1979.jpg

Last edited:
Right now it's a bowl or Kemp's Black Jack Cherry Frozen Yogurt. My all time favorite is Eggnog Drop Cookies that my Mother made when I was growing up. My wife got the recipe from her and we usually bake up a batch around the Christmas holiday. They are soft with a mild flavor, but for some reason, they are highly addictive. We'll make a tin full and they don't last long. Great with a cold glass of milk.

I can't resist something warm (fruit pie/turnover or brownie) with some nice ice cream on top. If you want to put some chocolate sauce on top or hot fudge, I wouldn't say no - to whipped cream either. That's one of my favorites and a good combo I can have any time is a Trader Joe's Apple Blossom with some of their Ultra Chocolate or Coffee Bean Blast ice cream on top. A chocolate lava cake works really well too, esp with the coffee ice cream.

If I were to pick a pie, cherry pie is probably my favorite. The tartness of the cherry is cut by the ice cream on top.
:thumbsup:

To me, there is nothing better for dessert than chocolate pudding, topped with real whipped cream.

For me...Black Forest Cake, made the old German way wherein the cake is soaked in brandy two days ahead of the cream filling and iceing! With real whipped cream!

The mass produced ones of today just don't cut

Q

Last edited:
Most anything cherry, especially black cherry ice cream, cherry pie etc.
though honestly I rarely have dessert unless it's served with a meal somewhere, even then, easy on the cake.
Sometimes just a piece of dark or mint chocolate and I'm all set.

Pineapple upside-down cake the old way from scratch. No boxes allowed. Fresh pineapple. Avoid the temptation to overdo the pineapple or have a pineapple burn-your-house-down cake.

very simple bread pudding made from
peppridge farm cinn/rasin bread. light drizzle of molassas on top. i make it 3x's a year. other than that, i dont eat sweets/desserts.

if anything in evening its vut up veggie sticks/cherry tomatoes plain/maybe a few slices of vermont sharp cheddar with it.

I'm bumping a 4 year old thread because evidently all of you are too healthy and don't eat desserts. I like to eat them, and I like to make them.

Cheesecake - a traditional New York
IMG_3592.jpg

And a Keto friendly one I made for Mrs. shtig99 and her friends.
IMG_3674.jpg

Last edited:
Love some REAL cheesecake!! I like cake....a really good carrot cake! I am a fan of ice cream! I don't really do a dessert with dinner. I like it later at night.

My wife made Czech "buchty" for the first time in quite awhile. What is different this time though is rather than the traditional plum jam filling I instead bought Iraqi baking date paste. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom