What Do You like on a Sandwich?

I had a theory, that folks that are passionate about their music, and the gear that is used to produce it, would be passionate about certain genres of food. I started with the hotdog, then breakfast, then the baked potato, and the passion is definitely there. Now, I'm going to probe the next genre: the sandwich. It can be as simple as peanut butter and jelly, and as complicated as you like. The sky is the limit. You are welcome to include what you make at home, or what you like at your favorite sandwich shop or restaurant.

As before, this is about what you like on your sandwich, not what you think about what others like on theirs. I beseech you therefore, to avoid negativity.

I'm looking for inspiration. Whacha got?

Enjoy,
Rich P

You are correct.

What I like ON a sandwich really depends on what's IN the sandwich.

For example... Pulled pork? The shittiest white bread you can find. Wonder Bread is perfect. Once you have two slices of Wonder or some other off-brand supermarket white bread, you need some really good BBQ sauce and some really good cole slaw. THEN you build it like this.... Bread, BBQ sauce, cole slaw, BBq Sauce... PORK BBQ sauce, cole slaw, BBQ sauce and bread.

EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG.

Wow... you're right. Just like audio. :)

Italian Sandwich

I made this up through the day, until time to make it: sliced and sauteed hot chicken Italian sausage, sauteed onion slivers, sauteed mini sweet red peppers, pickled pepperoncini, shredded lettuce, quartered grape tomatoes, chopped kalamata olives, and crumbled feta cheese, all on Iraqi samoon bread.

index.php

Enjoy,
Rich P

Romanian Frigarui Sandwich

The dressing for my sandwich is called Mujdei de Usturoi (Romanian garlic sauce): minced garlic, sea salt, olive oil, sour cream, and fresh ground black pepper.

The meat for my sandwich, Frigarui (Romanian Chicken Kebabs): cubed chicken thigh meat, marinated in a special sauce (French thyme, rosemary from the garden out front, parsley from out back, fresh-ground black pepper, lemon juice, sugar, minced ginger, minced garlic, and plain yogurt), and grilled.

Finally, a sandwich I just made up while thinking about it for a couple of hours: pita bread, Frigarui, cubes of Eclipse tomatoes, slivers of red onion, fresh cilantro leaves, broccoli-clover sprouts, and Mujdei de Usturoi as a dressing.

index.php

Enjoy,
Rich P

Almost every sandwich I eat will have Yellow Mustard on it (except for Meatloaf, Fried Bologna and a BLT, they must have Ketchup).

Hot Pastrami on Rye

This is one I've had a taste for, for several days. Finally I got around to it, and it most certainly did hit the spot.

First, onion rings (Alexia brand). These never disappoint.

Finally, the Hot Pastrami Sandwich: pumpernickel rye bread (grilled in olive oil), thin-sliced Kretchmar pastrami (also grilled in olive oil; I like Boar's Head better, but the grocer I hit does not carry that), spicy brown mustard, slivers of red onion, sliced Eclipse tomato, and clover-broccoli sprouts.

This was all washed down with ice-cold S. Pellegrino.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Turkey on marble rye topped with lettuce, tomato, red onion, & jalapeños is my go to at my work place's deli.

Also love me a good cheese steak sandwich, best I've found so far is PepperJax Grill.

Hot Turkey on Rye

First, pumpernickel slices, grilled in butter. on one, mayo, on the other, spicy brown mustard. Then, Santa-Fe roasted turkey, grilled in the same pan, and laid upon one slice of the bread. Joining it, lacey Swiss cheese, thin slices of Eclipse tomato, slivers of white onion, and clover-broccoli sprouts. Served with Trader Joe's Olive Oil potato chips and washed down with an ice-cold S. Pellegrino. Note: Cherokee, my culinary tax collecting Pyrenees giving me the eye for not sharing the turkey while making this sandwich. He got his taxes during its consumption, however.

Dinner.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Hot Turkey on Rye

First, pumpernickel slices, grilled in butter. on one, mayo, on the other, spicy brown mustard. Then, Santa-Fe roasted turkey, grilled in the same pan, and laid upon one slice of the bread. Joining it, lacey Swiss cheese, thin slices of Eclipse tomato, slivers of white onion, and clover-broccoli sprouts. Served with Trader Joe's Olive Oil potato chips and washed down with an ice-cold S. Pellegrino. Note: Cherokee, my culinary tax collecting Pyrenees giving me the eye for not sharing the turkey while making this sandwich. He got his taxes during its consumption, however.

View attachment 1462865

Enjoy,
Rich P

Your dog's expression says, "Where's mine?", for sure. :)

-Dave

Last edited:
Sweet and Spicy Tri-Tip Sandwich

Today, as usual, I wanted a change of pace. I have been looking at this remaining piece of tri-tip I had made back in November. It has been in the freezer, of course. Today, I figured out how to use it up, another tasty sandwich.

Here is what is in the sandwich filling, Sweet and Spicy Tri-Tip: tri-tip steaks, marinaded in a special paste (peanut oil, ground black pepper, ground cumin, paprika, ground coriander seeds, ground Thai Dragon peppers (from the garden out back), brown sugar, and minced garlic). The marinated tri-tip is then broiled to a medium rare-ish, caramelized state. I took that last piece and sliced it very thin, and gave it a quick saute in oil.

First, some nice, crispy steak fries, dusted with sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper.

Now the sandwich: lightly toasted honey oat bread, a very light spread of mayo, the sweet and spicy tri-tip, shredded lettuce, thin slices of Eclipse tomato, slivers of white onion, some chopped pepperoncini, sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper.

This was washed down with an ice-cold Negra Modelo.

Dinner.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

My favorite quick sandwich for a snack.
shaved ham and grape jelly on rye.
I know , I can already hear some of you gagging...lol
almost everybody that I ever said that to looked at me
like I was nutz. most of them got curious and tried it
and said hey that is good.
100_6178.JPG

Barbecue London Broil Sandwich

Sometimes you just feel inspired...

First, some onion rings (Alexia brand, these are very good)

The sandwich: very lightly toasted honey oat bread, slivers of yellow onion (lightly sauteed in vegetable oil), and very thin sliced London broil (sauteed first in vegetable oil, then in barbecue sauce (Stubbs, Sweet Honey and Spice)).

This was all washed down with an ice cold Moosehead Lager.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Not as exotic as some of what's been posted here, here's my Easy No Mess Grilled Cheese sandwich.
Toast bread in toaster. Add cheese of choice, some thin slices of onion, and either thinly sliced tomato or thin hamburger dill slices. Both go well with cheese. Sprinkle with S&P and some dried herbs of choice. Cover with second slice of toast and nuke on low setting till cheese melts. If you must have buttery toast, butter the toast before nuking. Eat on a paper plate and the only cleanup is the knife.

Turkey Sandwich

How about a nice sandwich for a tasty Friday evening dinner.

First, some crispy onion rings (Alexia brand).

Now the sandwich: thick sliced and lightly toasted bread (Nature's Own, Brioche style), sweet and creamy horseradish sauce (Boars Head Pub Style), thin-sliced red onion, thin-sliced tomato, freshly peeled Poblano chile, home-grown alfalfa and clover sprouts, thin-sliced maple-glazed honey turkey (Boars Head brand, caramelized under the broiler), and chipotle cheese (BellaVitano brand, Reserve).

89619519-8BD3-49DD-8DB1-E269E025295D.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom