What do you say when...?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
This topic might have been hashed over before. If so, let it die before flogging it again...but?

What do you say if/when invited over to a bud's place or anyone's for that matter and they either invite a comment about the system that they are using, after hearing it. Mind you, some will even try to ilicit an evaluation from just looking at their gear.

If in fact, there's some obvious flaw/weakness in either set up or reproduction that they can't detect, do you point it out (being polite) or just make some neutral comment and just say little in the way of a comment?

My intent is not to start a range war here, with people bringing up their value system in life, but whether one should try to improve an aspect of the equipment, that might be something that the owner might have missed or doesn't know about.

In my own case, there is a constant battle of the treble/base controls in the vehicles as my wife and I have great differences in our taste in this dept of listening. Another thread for another time, eh?

Anyways, I digress. What do you say? Do you ignore, say nothing or make a suggestion for better sound.

Curious.

Q

I am one known not to pull any punches 99% of the time. So if someone invited me to listen to a system, and asked me my opinion, I would give it to them. I may preface it by saying that we may not like or look for the same things in a system, but I would change XXXX. I am also open to any comments about my own system from those with one equal or better.

The problem today is that way too many people are way too sensitive about everything and just can't handle truth. They want you to tell them what they want to hear, and do the same back instead of honesty.

It depends on the character of the person. But I think that I am empathic and sensitive enough chosing the right words in order not to hurt the person if they are easily offended. And I would emphazise that is just my humble opinion and no offense is intended.

Some people are so proud and convinced of their system that they can't bear any critical comment, even if the comments are appropriate to the topic. However - some honest words amongst friends should be in most of the cases possible.

I am one known not to pull any punches 99% of the time. So if someone invited me to listen to a system, and asked me my opinion, I would give it to them. I may preface it by saying that we may not like or look for the same things in a system, but I would change XXXX. I am also open to any comments about my own system from those with one equal or better.

Some times honesty does pay off with calculated risk. I too would welcome a suggestion, as as you mentioned that some are way too sensitive about they efforts.

The problem today is that way too many people are way too sensitive about everything and just can't handle truth. They want you to tell them what they want to hear, and do the same back instead of honesty.

And as Chris added, you may have to be aware of other's feelings in HOW you make your POV.

Generally I try to explain what I've found. I approach it from the perspective of trying to improve things, not necessarily that anything is currently wrong. I'm always quick to point out that my opinions vary from many others. In most cases it's not an issue as they are already asking me how to make their system sound more like mine.

Agreed, and why in my post I said I would preface my comments with a qualifier.

I do know someone who after listening to my system went out and purchased an NAD Ref Integrated and a pair of Thiel CS3.7s and stuffed it into a crowded basement with furniture blocking the sound. I never really liked Thiel speakers for their brightness and really had a hard time finding things nice to say. I bit my tongue and just suggested he move the blocking furniture.

For all the money he dropped, I actually expected it to sound way better than I thought it did. I wanted to rave, but it did not best my 30 year old setup.

For example a couple of years ago, I had a friend in with a keen ear and after listening to my set up put his ear to one of my three way speakers and said, "I think you've got a blown tweeter".

Now some of my LP's have had some collateral damage due to moves/wear and I tend to slope the highs a bit at times, so might have missed this for a time, but sure enough, one ot the tweeters was gonzo.

After the replacement I did notice the difference as the sound was more balanced.

Just shows to go ya, also how one may get used to that usual sound you hear from day to day, eh?

Q

Depends who it is. Years ago ... while at my In-Laws house .. my Father in Law asked what we thought about the coffee? I wanted to say ... "It taste like shit" ... but just said "it's good' .. just to be nice.

Then he proceeded to tell us how it was a combination of different coffee's he had in the cupboard ... leftovers's. Ha Ha ... he said "there's no difference between coffee's. I just bit my tongue and changed the subject.

If it would have been a friend ... I would probably have said ... "I've had better" and recommended some brands I've tried locally.

It depends on the character of the person. But I think that I am empathic and sensitive enough chosing the right words in order not to hurt the person if they are easily offended. And I would emphazise that is just my humble opinion and no offense is intended.

Some people are so proud and convinced of their system that they can't bear any critical comment, even if the comments are appropriate to the topic. However - some honest words amongst friends should be in most of the cases possible.

Couldn't have put it any better.
Tact should always be used in the forefront of a confrontation/discussion, but without compromising the truth of the matter.

Rome

It really depends on the person....

If they are exuberant in attitude about having the perfect system and are just trying to share the experience, I'm not going to burst their bubble. If they are not happy with the sound of their system after hearing mine I'll ask them if they would like to know a few tricks. Someone's grandson bought an inexpensive 3-in-1 Panasonic and cringed every time he turned it on and was complaining big time and his wife was telling him to get rid of it. So, I took on the challenge because they guy had no money and really needed some better sound to deal with life. But usually I'll say that their system sounds nice and that not all systems sound the same and that the only thing that matters is that they enjoy the sound it makes.

Depends who it is. Years ago ... while at my In-Laws house .. my Father in Law asked what we thought about the coffee? I wanted to say ... "It taste like shit" ... but just said "it's good' .. just to be nice.

Then he proceeded to tell us how it was a combination of different coffee's he had in the cupboard ... leftovers's. Ha Ha ... he said "there's no difference between coffee's. I just bit my tongue and changed the subject.

If it would have been a friend ... I would probably have said ... "I've had better" and recommended some brands I've tried locally.

EXACTLY!:thumbsup:

Got a BIL who make the worst coffee in the world!...well, maybe on this continent anyways.

He asks if I want another of his "brew"... and I just decline, and say..."Cuttin' back, eh?"

Q

I try my best not to be the cause of someone else's disappointment with their system. If it's someone who is actively changing things or looking to make a change then I might tell them what I've learned but if it's someone who has something they put time money or whatever into then I usually go the polite route. If its a matter of settings or simple fixes that don't negate any time or money they put into their system then I might offer helpful suggestions if asked.

I've told friends to be honest about the sound and don't worry about my sensitivities. Naturally one wants to hear "wow this is the greatest rig I've ever heard" but such is not always the case. 3 different times I've had different people pickup on something I'd overlooked. One was a driver wired out of phase, another time there was a bad interconnect and the last one was a rattle on a light fixture the bass was causing. Somehow I had overlooked these things but my friends picked up on them right away. It pays to get others thoughts on your rig from time to time whether you accept their criticisms or not.

Ya know, if you put the shoe on the other foot, and some one comes in and goes neg on our systems, for the most part I think it would put our hackles up at first.

First question I'd ask would be for the particulars as to WHY they think what they do, and how they would fix it for a better sound. As expressed by some already, if it just took a tweak here and there, then It would be no big deal. But if it meant a maj component replacement...then, I'd have to have a long look at it. They might have a point to consider.

I think with people coming in from different sound environments and speakers (horn vs electrostats vs ported vs closed), then add into the mix how they colour the end result with treb/base and the type of music that they are accustomed to...then all the former factors will have a direct influence on just how they compare/contrast their own system. Yours may on the opposite side of the scale.

Just some food for thought, eh?

Q

Usually, only complaints I get are about my music, but I guess Barefoot Becky IS an acquired taste ... <G>

During October Fest this IS the music! Or if in the German Clubs or even some of the Scandinavian ones this genre reigns is the norm.

Just wish Becky's band allowed the brass players play more front and centre, ja?

Q

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom