What do you think of MM cart?

preston1000

I'm new to turntables and would like some feedback on what your thoughts are this song.....

Will a MC cart sound a lot better, by that I mean more detailed open stage?

Apologies about camera shake and not sure how it will sound since this was recorded with my phone.

I've never heard the MP-11 but the MP-110 is a budget favorite.

Having said that, I have no doubt that getting something like the entry level Denon DL-103 will allow quite a bit more detail.

You have some nice gear there... not sure The White Stripes are the band you need more detail being resolved to fully enjoy.

Jack would probably tell you to get a BSR. :p

I "got into" moving coils in the early 1990's and tried to make myself like them but could not. I attributed that to the type of music I played and felt it was better reproduced by a moving magnet or moving iron. Being in "the business" I was able to accumulate a fair number of cartridges since the dealer costs were negligible compared to retail prices. Of the more "expensive" cartridges I had, most were sold and only kept three different versions of Shure V15's. Funnily for the last two or so years I've been listening to a bunch on the lower end (at the time) of the price spectrum, even finally getting around to buying styli for bodies that remained untouched for 30+ years.

Because of all the accolades, it's understandable how one can become interested in moving coils but what's good for the goose might not be good for the gander. Opinions are no substitute for first hand experience.

Jack would probably tell you to get a BSR. :p

He has a BIC....doesn't he?

Will a MC cart sound a lot better, by that I mean more detailed open stage?

From what I've read, by that definition of better, the answer would likely be yes. Here is an excerpt from an interesting short article that actually extols the virtues of moving magnet cartridges, but notes this major difference.

"Regardless of philosophy, these moving magnets are not so far behind in resolution as you might expect. Indeed, in resolving inner instrumental lines and the like, both would be hard to fault. The moving coils seem to have little advantage here, in this type of resolution, other than that attached to their rising top. The main difference, rather, has to do with spatial matters. Aside from tonal balance, it is in soundstage behavior that these cartridges differ most significantly from the moving coils. The expansive soundstage has firmly established itself as a desideratum of the High End. These cartridges can certainly produce width and depth, with the Audio Technica being somewhat more expansive than the Stanton. But on routine material, both, and particularly the Stanton, produce a narrower albeit precisely focused stereo presentation; narrower that is than many moving coils." http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

For myself, the "expansive soundstage" is nowhere on my list of current priorities, and it is primarily the tonal character of cartridges that has driven my buying choices. I've always liked cartridges considered to be on the warm side of neutral (for example, Stanton and Grado as opposed to AT and Ortofon), and my preferred cartridge at present is the Shure M97xE. The excerpt above mentions tonal balance and the "rising top" of moving coil cartridges, and while not all are afflicted, it seems to be common. Below is a cut-and-paste from an earlier thread on the topic.

A commonly occurring "fault" of moving coil cartridges is a rising high end. Likely there are exceptions, but it's a fairly common generalization. As Positive Feedback wrote, "if you play many cartridges through many tone-arms, you'll find that some cartridges have personalities of their own which mounting them in various tone-arms does not change much. We say, 'Most moving coil cartridges have a rising high-end.' We arrive at this after listening and measuring many of them." Many reviewers have noted that this rising high end leads to timbral inaccuracies. Jonathan Valin of the Absolute Sound wrote, "With their rising treble response, moving coils tend to brighten up or thin out timbres in the upper mids and highs." In reviewing Grado's top of the line Statement (a moving iron design), Silvio Fernandez said, "Indeed in practically all cases, one way or another the moving coil alters the structure and timbre of the musical tone." Robert Greene once commented, "The inaccuracy of the rising-top moving coil sound is a matter of fact. Its musical significance is a personal 'value judgment.' But if live music remains our standard, as I surely hope it does, a judgment in favor of this rising-top sound seems misguided."

Nothing's perfect, so there are always compromises/choices to be made with respect to different sonic criteria. Some years ago, when I wanted to experience a wider, deeper, better-focused soundstage, I found I preferred a Grado wood-body cartridge with Grado's own phono stage over the moving coil options I heard. I also discovered that my power amp, a Linn LK280, was not going to allow the type of soundstage experience that I wanted; a switch to an Audio by Van Alstine power amp solved that issue (I had already been using an AVA preamp, which replaced a Linn LK1 that had developed a control board fault). Experiment widely, audition options if you are fortunate enough to have local dealers, and enjoy whatever best suits your own taste. It's all good!

^ some good info here.

I am finding that I enjoy Mi/MM as much as MC, and maybe more in some cases.

My LO MC experience is limited to DL 301 mk II which sometimes seems to provide extreme high frequency details at the expense of a musical sound. Lesser recordings are exposed by it, yet I can play those same recordings on a higher end Shure/Grado and still enjoy them.

I'm looking for the next level MC experience but in the meantime not at all hurting with upper end MI/MM.

Last edited:
Curious to know what you understand better? Not intended to be snotty, but this is a subject where the opinions are all over the board. Specifications for cartridge performance cant really tell the tale of the tape in differences between MM and MC cartridges. And since they perform in the context of an analog system of table arm and phono stage, very few people have the same experiences. So how do you develop consensus, or even a common frame of reference? The world of cartridge choice is not an easy one, and people have different values and priorities.

With that said. I am a moving coil kind of pig, and have yet to own a moving magnet cartridge that curls my tail.

Regards
Mister Pig

I have yet to own a MC cart. They're expensive and I don't like the idea of not being able to replace the stylus myself. One day I'll experiment.

Also, I've found enough entry level MM carts to suit my different needs for the time being.

It is mostly a matter of being in a different league. If you have a $5K cartridge, a $5K turntable, a $5K preamp, etc, then you are not playing the same game as the guy with the vintage Pioneer and the Shure. You're both listening to records, but the similarities end there.

I am not advocating any particular course. Whatever you find appropriate for your situation, go ahead and enjoy the music.

Back
Top Bottom