What do you think of my current setup? And do you have recommendations??

halkaloogie

The Jerk
I've been out of the game for a while. I had a house fire in 2006 and lost everything, and just recently have been getting back into restoring my vinyl collection and HiFi.

I'm currently running an AR XB turntable with an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge into a Sansui Au-999 and a pair of Dahlquist DQ-16's.

Not the fanciest rig but I'm enjoying it.

I've just bought the components to do the kevzep MODs to the 999 so that should be fun, but any other recommendations to get the most out of my setup?

Probably just a general clean of the pots and switches would be a good idea. I was going to suggest replacing the electrolytic capacitors, but I guess that would be included in the mods you have already planned. Also good to give the phone sockets a gentle scrub as well. Nice looking amp though.
Carefully check the values of the caps in the speaker crossovers to check that they still match the values written on them. If you have electrolytic caps in there it might be a good idea to replace them with polypropylene caps.

That’s a great amp, one of my faves and I’m not wanting for fancy gear here.
I’d also consider a better phono cartridge - the one you have is among the best in it’s price range but I’d suggest moving up.
I’m not familiar with the speakers so nothing to suggest there.
Enjoy the music!

That’s a great amp, one of my faves and I’m not wanting for fancy gear here.
I’d also consider a better phono cartridge - the one you have is among the best in it’s price range but I’d suggest moving up.
I’m not familiar with the speakers so nothing to suggest there.
Enjoy the music!

I know it's not the greatest, it's just what it came with, what is a better phono cartridge you would recommend?

Probably just a general clean of the pots and switches would be a good idea. I was going to suggest replacing the electrolytic capacitors, but I guess that would be included in the mods you have already planned. Also good to give the phone sockets a gentle scrub as well. Nice looking amp though.
Carefully check the values of the caps in the speaker crossovers to check that they still match the values written on them. If you have electrolytic caps in there it might be a good idea to replace them with polypropylene caps.

everything has recently been gone through, the amp had a near complete rebuild just a few weeks ago, I'm just going to do the preamp and bass mod because all the glowing reviews.

There are so many choices for phono cartridges and everyone seems to have their favorites and it depends on your budget.
For me personally the next step would be the Shure M97xe and then the Denon DL110.
Some folks are enthusiastic about the Ortofons and there are better audio-technicas worthy of consideration.

Look around and see what others like.

There are so many choices for phono cartridges and everyone seems to have their favorites and it depends on your budget.
For me personally the next step would be the Shure M97xe and then the Denon DL110.
Some folks are enthusiastic about the Ortofons and there are better audio-technicas worthy of consideration.

Look around and see what others like.

I'm not familiar with the Denon? What makes it your choice in that price range?

I'm not familiar with the Denon? What makes it your choice in that price range?
The Denon is my choice in the next price range.
The Shure is about $100, the Denon is more like $250.
I don’t have that particular Denon but I do have others and just think highly of the line.
You’ll need to do a lot of research and come to your own conclusions.

I agree about the change of cart.
Several good suggestions have already been made.
However, for an AR TT I wouldn't overlook the Grado line.
Grado Blacks can be had for around $80.
The sound will be quite different than the AT cart you're using.
Whether you'll like that sound is another question.
I personally would consider it an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom