What do you use to show off your Home Theater

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Thor's post got me to thinking there are a lot of great movies for Home Theater. So, what movie "ROCKS" your world when it comes to seeing movies at home?

I think one of the the, if not "the", top movie has to MATRIX. The lobby scene is a classic. Often overlooked is the opening fight scene. When she kicks the guy in the head, the room moves.

Opening scenes in BLADE and THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS.

For all around action, most anything directed by John Woo.

I like the opening scene with the F-18's hitting the flight deck in Top Gun. The screech of the tail hooks grabbing is fantastic.

Mike

I like Barneys Xmas special. Oh wait I dont have a HT :eek: :eek: :p: :D

Like I said in another thread, the "Jurassic" movies are very good.

The others already mentioned are certainly good too.

Most action/adventure movies are fun. The better sound really adds to the movie. (Let alone the visual improvment)

The newest Starwars is a nice one on HT-DVD

Any movie on DVD, vs older versions on VHS are obviously much improved in the newer format.

We don't rent a VHS movie hardly at all, unless it's just not available on DVD.

As said before, it's just a matter of time........VHS will be extinct like the Jurassic beasts.

If you don't have at least 5.1 channel HT, your missing out on a lot.
It's just a better "experience" than I thought it would be, before I first put the system together.

My HT system is totally separate from the stereo system. Different rooms as well.

my 2 cents

Toy Story 2 - opening scene with Buzz

Saving Private Ryan

Days of Thunder

The "Beach Landing" in "Saving Private Ryan" is quite spectacular sound wise but is a bit graphic and not for the weak stomached.

"Days of Thunder" has some great scenes soundwise but I find the picture looks like @ss compared to other DVD's.

I am looking forward to seeing "T2" next weekend, I would think the minigun scene will be fantastic.

I would also like to see "Last of the Mohicans" I think the scene of the fort battle with the cannons and muskets going of will be cool.

Perhaps the "pod racer" scene from episode one of "Star Wars" would be good too.

I have heard from others that "The fast and the furious" and "U571" both sound amazing.

How about just some good old "guy flicks"

13 Monkeys (I never inhaled, yea right)
13th Warrior (Vikings rule)
Akira (anime-started it all)
Alien (piss in your pants)
Armageddon (saving the world)
Blade (kicking butt with steel)
BladeRunner (Rudger at his best)
Brazil (mind trip)
Die Hard(yippie-kie-a mother .....)
Dogma(how many times did he say...)
Escape from New York(Snake..need I say more)
Ghost in the Shell (anime-classis)
Gone in 60 Seconds (GT kicking butt)
Independence Day(kicking alien ass)
Matrix(THE BEST)
Men In Black (alien cool)
Patriot Games(true drama)
Predator (mini-guns rule)
Pulp Fiction (mighty tastey burger)
Saving Private Ryan (reality!)
Soilder(kick your butt hand to hand)
Star Wars(from a galaxy far far away)
Stargate(egyptian aliens)
Terminator 2 (mini-gun again)
The Fifth Element(big badda boom)
The Professional (no woman - no children)
Tomb Raider (Schwing...cars, guns, motorcycles, knives, and Laura Croft)
Top Gun (can you say after-burner)

I have heard from others that "The fast and the furious" and "U571" both sound amazing.

Yep, those are good too !!

Have seen about all those on Wards list, and they all get a "thumbs up" :wave:

Also:
The Patriot (Mel's 1770's saga)

Wards if you liked "Blade" you gotta see "Blade II" more action and super disgusting creepy crawlie monsters!

I like your list but I prefer "Aliens" to "Alien" ;)

Debby does Dallas, or any of the Taboo movies with Tajea Rea...oh, wait those movies don't sound very good......Oh, well...I don't have a HT system either, but with these movies, I've never noticed :D

Does anybody know if the Japanese movie Ran has been put on DVD? I would get a HT system up just for that movie alone.

Well in "We Were Soldiers" if your system has enough to it a helicopter will come in over your shoulder and land in your living room. This is most effective if you have a system that will allow subwoofers at the same time as full range speakers all the way around. Really the best sound effect I have ever heard, and I have a lot of DVDs just for the sound effects.

One Better.......!!

try the attack scene from Pearl Harbor. There's one part were they are filming from in the bridge of one of the ships and it's exploding underneath the sailors, like boooom......BOOooommmm........BBOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!
Makes me smile each time my SVS hits those 18hz tones.:D

Originally posted by VinylHanger

Does anybody know if the Japanese movie Ran has been put on DVD? I would get a HT system up just for that movie alone.

Hi VH,

A quick search at Amazon shows 2 versions of Ran released.

Of these, AVOID the cheaper Fox Lorber version.
This has crap sound and an even crappier picture...wrong aspect ratio, non-anamorphic.

The Masterworks edition or the boxset (both feature the same improved DVD) are well worth the extra $$$.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_3/102-4893876-9977756?v=glance&s=dvd

cheerio

Last edited:
Fight Club is a good one, Run Lola Run is also very good.

Thor, you`re nutts, Alien is a masterpiece !!! One of the best horror (sci-fi) movies ever !! :D Aliens is a damn good action flick, Alien was a bit more cerebral.

J

Alien scared the hell out of me on the big screen and is still scary on DVD. That was one scary monster with hydrocloric acid for blood and crome jaws!

The Fast and the Furious, both parts. Gives my three subs real good workout.

Originally posted by KeepsGearAWeek
I like the opening scene with the F-18's hitting the flight deck in Top Gun. The screech of the tail hooks grabbing is fantastic.

Mike

Not meaning to pick nits, but those were F-14 Tomcats, not F/A-18 Hornets.:D

Jeff

The scene in "Predator" when the guy unleashes the mini gun after the predator kills off the governor ;)

Which one of the Star Trek flicks is it where they seperate the saucer from the rest of the ship and crash into a planet's surface?

Saw that at a friends place once....way cool....

Back
Top Bottom