What do you use when padding caps to fit in larger clamps?

EastPoint

Recycler
Subscriber
For example, when replacing the main capacitors on a vintage solid-state receiver, the new caps are going to be smaller than the old ones. If you can't find anything that's the right size, you can wrap the smaller capacitor in foam or rubber to make it stay in the clamp. What should I use to wrap them?

I used speaker gasket tape from Parts Express. It's self stick, cushy and 1 roll will be enough to last a lifetime - Chris
Got some of this for a set of Norman 10B speakers. All 4 woofers needed it and I still have enough to last. I like that idea.

Maybe smaller clamps, if they fit the chassis.

I've always got some of that window caulking rope used for holding in car windshields. No issues with heat and such. Just solder i the cap, then roll a rope big enough to fill the gap, Press it in, and use your finger and the edge of the clamp to cut off any excess. A slight bit of dialectic grease on the can body and your finger keeps it from sticking where it don't belong. Neat and tidy.

f1360-power-left-bank-clamp.jpg

I usually go up a step in voltage rating as well. Lots of older machines were built with tolerances close to the edge to keep component size down. Got some extra room, might as well use it as long as you don't get carried away.

My first choice is to find the right diameter capacitor so they fit the existing clamps.
My second choice is to replace the clamps with ones that match the diameter of the new capacitors.
Rubber, pipe insulation, etc. doesn't look very professional to me.
If it's your gear, you can do as you please, you only have to please yourself.

Tom

My first choice is to find the right diameter capacitor so they fit the existing clamps.

To each their own I guess. Here's a fun example of doing it your way ...

BEFORE

power-bank-original.jpg

AFTER

power-bank-done.jpg

Same values, but it just don't look right. Granted, kind of a radical example, but the new caps are MUCH smaller than the old, and even getting shorties like these are a bit of a crap shoot. We do what we gots to do ...

My second choice is to replace the clamps with ones that match the diameter of the new capacitors.
Rubber, pipe insulation, etc. doesn't look very professional to me.
If it's your gear, you can do as you please, you only have to please yourself.

Tom

This is exactly correct. Finding a way to have it look either original or like original should always be the goal - Chris

Brings me back to the receiver I posted earlier ... what looks original on that?

Then again, I don't worry much about that sort of stuff - more interested in how it sounds once the dust settles.

I use a thick slice of eva Rubber. In other units I've soldered the capacitor to a little piece of prototype board, and used the original screws to hold the little board to the chassis.

To each their own I guess. Here's a fun example of doing it your way ...

BEFORE

power-bank-original.jpg

AFTER

power-bank-done.jpg

Same values, but it just don't look right. Granted, kind of a radical example, but the new caps are MUCH smaller than the old, and even getting shorties like these are a bit of a crap shoot. We do what we gots to do ...
That looks awesome. So much room for cooling. I prefer this instead of a skinny capacitor coming out of a big clamp and some sort of spacer.
Once you're done and replace the cover you never have to see them again.

I try my hardest to get a replacement that's the proper diameter (those short ones up above would be totally fine with me) but if I can't source any I'll have a machinist buddy whip up a set of spacers out of PVA or whatever other plastic stock he's got handy.

I go with the foam insulation tape if I have cap clamp comes up. I seal all speakers with it to the cab face acoustic or ported as well. I did two three ways with one roll. Stuff comes a couple thicknesses 1/4in.wide I think..

Last edited:
Normally I go with the correct size caps, but this is on a Pioneer SX-828, and the bigger caps are $25 each, while the little caps are $6 each, and I have three SX-828s to do.

I will take the cap and clamp to the plumping section at the hardware store. Lots of rubber fittings. Most of the time one has to cut to fit but they hold tight.

Back
Top Bottom