What does everyone own for tube gear!

Very short list. Just a pair of McIntosh MC30s that I use daily and an single MC40, on the shelf that is looking for a mate. Also looking for a tube pre. Tired of pulling cables to change sources.

IMG_2443.JPG

Conrad-Johnson Premier 11:

IMG_20170501_230334-01.jpeg

...and PV-14L:

upload_2017-8-23_13-40-18.png

The Eleven may get sent in for the "A" upgrade next year. It is currently running Tung Sol KT120s and 5751s, and two Brimar 6CG7/6FQ7s. Had a great deal on this one, thanks to someone reluctantly selling it off for health issues. The only thing I would replace the Eleven with is a pair of Twelve monoblocks. Same basic circuit, nearly identical looks, just more powerful.

The PV-14L runs on Mullard M8080/CV4058 tubes, the only ones that aren't microphonic. I've tried other 6C4 family tubes but they were highly microphonic, to the point you could hear the grids ringing at mid to higher volume. The Mullards are dead silent. The only thing I might ever upgrade it with is a Premier series preamp, although I doubt I would hear much (if any) difference. And I wouldn't mind a Premier 15 phono stage to go with it, but those are as pricey as they are rare.

only 3 pieces currently:

Thalia pre and Powerhouse power amp (the big one, hybrid, its power supply is in a separate box of about the same size, not shown here), by Tsakiridis Devices (Greece).
All transformers/chokes are handmade.

last but not least, my baby in the front, built by yours trully:D:oops:
WP_20170810_22_35_07_Pro.jpg .

using transformers again by Tsakiridis Devices

tubes 001.JPG tubes 002.JPG 1963 Futura . 7591

tubes 003.JPG 1960ish .Them crazy good Packard Bell amps that Bob Carver loves too. Still working on them. EL84

tubes 004.JPG 1965 Diplomat, EL80
tubes 005.JPG 1961 Blaupunkt , EL84

tubes 006.JPG 6dJ little bear preamp .... sucks.
tubes 007.JPG Fisher 400, Ampex 6973, Scott 299c, VOM tuner from '59

tubes 008.JPG Fisher 800b, home-built VOM integrated EL84

tubes 010.JPG Fisher allegro, fisher coronet, Dynaco St70, Bobo Latino VTA-70, Dennis Had EL84 single ender.

When Heath kit releases it new old look 43 W per channel at 6 ohm stereo tube volume control per channel (integrated) poweramp kit, febr 2018 i wil own my first tube gear (although in parts still) in two years. Crown and dynaco kits wil of this type (not the same as Heath) be available end 2018. Also analog plus digital tuners and tube pre amps and turntable kit(s) wil also only of the solder true circuitbord classic type components 100% repairable with soldering iron return on the north american market. And solid state versions.

Last tube gear i owned was till two years ago a McIntosh Model 1700 hybrid tube solid state stereo reciever I sadly had to part with.

I have a list of solid state gear i got to collect a chunk of still till summer next year then i got a small list of 6 components of vintage tube gear to pay/pick up of which one is a recent model luxman: al is already reserved for / by me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom