What does everyone own for tube gear!

I have and use a Magnavox 153B Hepplewhite console. It uses a 6L6 push pull output amplifier driving 2 12 inch field effect speakers. It has an AM and shortwave receiver and an original optional FM tuner. It is the unit in my avatar. It produces a clear sound with hardly any background noise. I have even gotten a QSL card from Radio New Zealand International for it's reception on the shortwave radio. A great deal of the music I listen to is mono, so this unit works quit well for me. I also have a Magnavox ST-621 console that i am starting the restoration on.

I have an Antique Sound Lab AQ-1003DT (in my profile picture) integrated amp, a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 (though the tubes are just a buffer stage), and a Schiit Valhalla 2.

Surprised I missed this thread so long. Here's my custom Latino ST120 that I use on the primary channels of my quad system and an Eico HF12a I use for the center channel ...

eico-hf12a-racked2.jpg

The Maverick DAC sitting above the Eico is a tube hybrid as well.

Preamps:
Mac C22(original) feeds "fireplace rotational tube amps" that drive DQ-10`s along with (2)Velodyne ULD 15 sub woofer`s in sunroom when I need a tube fix with some realistic bottom end.
Audio Note 1(unused)
Mac C220(bedroom system)

Crossover:
ARC 2 way(unused)

Tuner:
Mac MR 67(unused)

Amplifier`s:
(4} Mac MC 275 VI`s(mono`d each for the highs/mids. in the tri-amp Mac XRT-30 speaker main living room system)
(1)Mac MC 60(center channel living room main system)
(2) Mac MC 30(fireplace rotation amp`s)
(1) Mac MC 225(fireplace rotation amp)
(1) ARC D-76A(fireplace rotation amp)
(4) Dynaco Mk III`s(fireplace rotation amp`s)
Receivers:
(1)Fisher 500 C (unused)
(2)Fisher 400`s(unused)

Radios:

Grundig 2068
Grundig 4090
Saba Konstanz KN18
Nordmende Tannhäuser 8004H *
Grundig 5060*
Saba Continental 410/Freiburg 14 *

* Truly superior radios...

Last edited:
Just picked up a Dynaco ST-70 with upgrades
Refurbished a Fisher 800c approx a month ago.
Got a 65' Monarch 60 running 7189 outputs
Stashed away is a British CR Developments Kalypso EL 84 integrated.
Just sold off a 62' Trio Wx-400 EL84 receiver....

Audio Research Ref 3 pre, AR Ref phono 2 SE, AR Ref75SE in my 2 ch system. Even my LR video/2ch system has tubes, as I recently added a Manley Steelhead to it.

The only piece I have thus far is a Dynaco PAS4 preamp. Replaced the caps and at this price point not sure I could do any better.

Dynaco—3 Stereo 35, 2 original, 1 kit clone
SCA 35
Stereo 70, VanAlstein mod
PAS 3x
FM 3
VanAlstein Ultravalve
Marantz—Model 8
Model 8b reissue
McIntosh 275G
Fisher x100b
SET—Audio Note Kit 1, Cary 300 sei, Fi X3
Luxman SQ N10
Cary/AES SLP 98, AE1

Just bought my first tube amp ever (at the ripe old age of 50). I bought an upgraded Dynaco ST 70 from @ctjim right here on Bartertown. Jim's an upstanding guy helping me get it working - thanks Jim!!!!

It's sitting behind my Parasound 2100 preamp and it sounds great. Excuse the cable mess in the pic, it's since been cleaned up. Currently using my 3.5mm out from my iPhone through the Parasound, the Dynaco, Russound 2.1 selector, to either my EPI 500's in the living room or Polk's in the dining room.

We shall not discuss how I broke a tube on my first time setting this up. Chalk it up to dummy first time tube amp ownership.

123lksdflkdwfk.jpeg

300B Tubelab design
Latino ST120
Sansui AU70
Pair Dynaco MKIII's
Dynaco ST35
HK250
Scott 299B
Mac MX110 Pre
HK A30K
Michealson TVA10
Dynaco PAS 3
Heathkit W4AM
HK Nocturne with matching Mono HK20 Amp
Altec 340A
Eico ST70
Pair of Eico HF20's
Sherwood S5500
Radio Craftsmen 500
Tubes for HiFi SP9 with Octal Tubes
Eico HF85
Eico HF87
Heathkit SA2
Heathkit SA3
Bayuu Chinese SE EL34 amp with Hashimoto output transformers
Shuguang S845MK Mono Blocks with matching preamp
Scott 333B Pre
Xiang Sheng 728A preamp
A couple hundred or more old radios
43 TV's
Tons-O-Tubes parts and pieces

Been at this for a while

Gregb

Gregb

I've been looking for a Conrad Johnson EV1, but then this Grundig 2420U fell into my lap two days ago. My buddy's dad passed away a year ago, and this was my buddy's grandmother's radio, which I'm told was usually on in her house when they visited. My uncle had the exact same radio. A little cleanup and it'll be good for another few decades.

IMG_20180630_195557.jpg

McGohan 102 PA Amplifier:
Had it for over 40 years now. It's been used as a mono music amp, and a PA amp. Most recently (and that could be 10 years now) it was used to drive a 70V line system at dressage horse events. At that time, and without my permission, some one "fixed" it for me, and I have not tried it since.

Harman Kardon A224:
Newly purchased on eBay, and I re-cap'ed it. This is basically the home listening amp I have always wanted.

Leslie Lowery 45A Organ Amp converted to Stereo Power amp:
Purchased locally in a "couldn't refuse" situation. It is very nicely completely rebuilt (not by me or the seller) as a Hi-Fi amp with basically new everything except the iron. I built a Lexan bottom for the chassis.

Very Old Aircraft Radio:
This was from one of my mother's airplane's, so it has been in the family since new (probably close to 70 years). Receive only. In pretty poor condition now. I think I did have it working when I was a kid.

In the past, I have had:

A dark blue and white table radio. Don't remember much about it. I guess it was AM only, but I don't know what I would have done with an AM only radio. Even in my childhood, there was not much on AM. Sold at a Hamfest.

A Halicrafters SW Radio that someone painted flowers on. Sold at a Hamfest.

I had a 9 inch GE B&W TV when I was a kid. My parents said I could not have a TV in my room. The neighbor gave it to me not working, so I asked my parents if I could keep it if I fixed it. They confidently said "Sure". I powered it up, saw that it had a raster, but no signal, so I swapped out one of the tubes on the tuner, and it worked fine for years. It was also my first computer monitor.

Then the same thing happened with an (again GE) Tube Color TV. This one was a little more of a challenge. After changing several parts in the HV section, it worked, but would occasionally let out a firecracker snap, and a puff of smoke. It worked this way for years -- until I moved out.

A Conrac Green phosphor monitor. This would also let out a loud crack every once in a while.

Several Tube Oscilloscopes, including one that used to be part of test (ground) equipment for a U-2 spy plane, and a Tektronics RM 561 that would make all the lights dim in the house when I turned it on.

I'm not sure if Nixie and VFD tubes count, but I built a clock kit with 7-segment (not real Nixie) tubes when I was a kid.

More recently, I built the "VFD -- IoT -- WiFi -- NTP -- WWW -- LUA -- ESP -- NodeMCU--Clock"
http://linuxslate.org/Project_NodeMCU_Clock.html
This and my HK A224 make for a cool "retro" bookcase head board.

I also had a (true) Nixie digital bench meter at one point.

Last edited:
mainly diy. So far i got:
2x 30w 12ax7/el34 pp
2x 4w 6sj7/807 se monos
2x 5w e88cc/el84 pp class A ( on the far left, that's an old pic, i have almost finished a chassis for it)

ecc84 line stage with 6x4 tube on the B+
Analogmetric mm/mc phonostage with 12ax7s and 6x4 tube on the B+

as for serious equipment, i have Tsakiridis Devices Thalia pre (12at7) and Powerhouse amp (hybrid, ss driver stages and 2x 70w with el34s on the power stage)

WP_20180222_23_16_27_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom