What drives you nuts at concerts?

Someone yelled out "Freebird" at an Adrian Belew show one time and Belew said "I'll give you a Freebird" and smiling he gave him the middle finger. Everyone cracked up.
Someone yelled it at a California Guitar Trio show....and they played an awesome rendition of it.

The walk back and forth back and forth folks. What is it a replacement for a treadmill with very expensive background music?

Mike

What drives you nuts at concerts?

I can't believe you started this thread, today of all days!

In the last week I have been "subjected" to bad behavior at two different concerts.

The worst in my life both in the same week.

----------------------------

Last night two couples came in drunk. Wont shut up.

Yak yak yak. Just unbelievable.

I will say, they sort of shut up when I and another looked at them like WTF?

I get what happened, they were there to see a rock concert and conducted themselves accordingly. Problem was, only part of the performances were rock presentations. It was fine when Patty Smith, Iggy Pop or Alabama Shakes were performing but you can't carry on like that when a harpsichordist is doing a sole or monks are chanting.( Philip Glass 80th birthday benefit concert) Many artists and guests spoke but I heard little as the drunks felt anytime without the roar of a guitar was fair game to play, joke and talk.

----------------------------------

Just one week earlier, to the day, I was at a classical concert and right behind me was a family. Mom dad and two 5 year old's.
The little girl was fine but her brother did what kids do. He kicked the chair, carried on and argued with dad.
Hey, it's way cool taking your children to Lincoln Center at that age, i did. But if the kid acts up, you don't try to talk him into being good the entire show. You get up and leave. You tried, you made a mistake. Just unbelievable.

-----------------------------------

I remember thinking last night that after two shows with this kind of behavior in a row, the odds of me ever having to go though it again were pretty darned low.

That's the upside. :)

The last show I saw @ B.B.Kings here in NYC, a woman who thought she was Bill Bruford started playing the hand drums on our table with the first song. Without saying a word I reached across the table and grabbed both her hands in one of mine and smiled silently at both her & her husband. I am glad she got the message, saved the concert for the rest of the folks sharing the table.

Well done!

Bad sound and watching the concert through the person in front of me's cell phone.

The low budget performances where the sound system is really loud but sounds about like a PA system.

1} bad sound mixing on vocals. Hey I don't know every line in every song esp. if they go deep into their catalog and if I cant understand the words I engage in the music but being able to hear what is being said would be more enjoyable.
2} Bands exposing there political beliefs and rant about them esp. when their contrary to yours. Ruins the evening came to hear the music.
3} People who stand during the whole concert and block your line of view. I don't buy floor seats anymore.

Let's see - bad sound production, performers who are hammered or just stand there, security, walking in puke, people slamming into you, the whistlers, the fights, people getting hauled out by cops or on stretchers, pretty much the whole scene. I've been to some bloody ones back in the 70's and 80's. The last one I went to was Ozzy doing the Crazy Train tour at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto in 1981. I went to the can and there was blood all over the walls and a sink smashed off the wall clearly by the guy's head who was laying there unconscious and cut up real bad. I decided then and there I was done with live shows but at least I got to see Randy Rhodes. I remember 11 people died at a show by The Who in Cincinnati in 1979 - trampled to death. Just not worth it .

This would never happen at an Edmonton Symphony Orchestra gig. :D

People who talk the entire time.
People who scream out, Love Ya Man!
People who come late to the show and their seats are in the middle of the row.

People who talk the entire time.
People who scream out, Love Ya Man!

Last time I saw Buddy Guy someone asked him to play some Jeff Beck. Buddy lectured him for 10 minutes. Some dame kept hollering "Hurt me, Buddy", which he had to respond what the hell are you saying? I was actually embarrassed to be there. Plus Buddy played one song and then just beat up his guitar the rest of the night. The sheep loved it.

Your coke dealer doesn't show. Your beer spills on some doofus in front of you. Your joint starts canoing. The acid is bad. Sober a-holes behind you are yelling at you to sit down. No place to properly vomit.

Hilarious.
I was going to go with concert bathroom rules where it so annoying that I can't wash my hands because there's a bunch of little chickies using the sinks to go potty :). Trying to make it through the parking lot to the Buffet show after tailgating for 6 hours can be frustrating. I mean you're on a roll. You strung together 17 maybe 18 steps since your last face plant and boom another tequila bottle in the dark and down you go - again.

I'm a classical and opera buff. I loathe the coughers. Most people make it through a normal day without coughing even once, yet put them in a concert hall, and they cough non-stop.

I hate the practice of applauding after movements of a symphony or concerto, or in the middle of an opera. Save it for the end of the entire piece. If you must applaud a magnificently sung aria by your favorite singer, at least have the courtesy to wait until the singer has finished the aria, and the final note has died away completely.

There are problems even with studio recordings, however, depending on the orchestra. The New York Philharmonic was terrible, particularly under Bernstein, with chair scraping, score rustling, and even the occasional bird loose somewhere in the hall! I don't mind the chirping of the bird nearly so much as the sloppy, noisy musicians, though.

Back in the day... Firecrackers, Frisbees, beach balls, and the guy standing up behind me with his leg behind his head playing a flute, (a Jethro Tull concert).
Long beer lines, long bathroom lines. Boring opening acts, a to short of set for headliner. Partial view seating. Bad sound. And as the guy that drove you nuts,
taking 2oz. of reefer and smoking so much, people around me starting refusing the joints.

Reactions: Rt8
Your coke dealer doesn't show. Your beer spills on some doofus in front of you. Your joint starts canoing. The acid is bad. Sober a-holes behind you are yelling at you to sit down. No place to properly vomit.

My kind of partner in crime at a gig.

"Bodies were flying everywhere. Spit and sweat and leather.. broken glass and piss and f*ckin’ puke. I was in heaven! And it was our secret."- Dave Grohl.

Bad sound, White Stripes were headlining a festival and there was some sort of technical SNAFU the amps were at around 25% until the last two songs.

Someone ripped off my leopard skin fez at a Wolfmother gig, they had an escape route planned and everything.

People who don't bring enough cigarettes.

Edit: that chick you just met is getting kinda heavy on your shoulders after about the third song.

Last edited:

Bringing back some old memories...

1974 Eric Clapton tour, St. Louis, MO. Found somebody outside the venue selling. We said, yeah, got a nickle bag? Sure. Handed him $5 bucks, got the goods. (he took-off like a rocket!) Headed inside to our seats (house lights were on.) We immediately realized it was worse than Mexican! Wouldn't get a fly-high! Lesson learned: Always bring your own stash!

:rockon:

I hate when this happens!

Yep, it seems when one thing goes wrong, everything does.

Well, there were the (two?) fires @ Comiskey Park (Chicago) during Jeff Beck's portion of a big day of rock @ Comiskey Park. It was hot enough already. Actually, the fire(s) didn't bug me so much and I moved ot a much better (viewing) vantage point in the outfield, not far from the right-center field wall.

Back
Top Bottom