What exactly makes a 2330 better than a 2325?

Its a B.

That B makes it sound the best, I had a 2226b that simply walloped everything I had for sound quality, including my current 2325, yea I am one of those sore losers, I only have a 2325.

B stands for best, in marantz terms.

Cool.
Srinath.

Maybe someone should donate an example of each to me so I can do a highly detailed shootout thread. :D I wouldn't kick either one out of my rig.

I personally like the b's,have a 2265b and a 2330b. Never listened to a 2265 or a 2330. Just one more on my list I would like to own,a 2285b.

I wont diss my 2325 though, just that the 2226b sounded better, the 2220 and 2230 I had the 2325 sounds like those, just more of it.
Cool.
Srinath.

If someone would send me a 2330(B or not), I could compare them. I've owned about half of the 22XX/23XX models, but the 2330 has not been one of them. :no: :sigh: My first reaction to this question was just like ekmanning5's: 5 watts. Bigger numbers must be better, right? :D

There probably are differences, and I'd like to know that they are, too, but the only people who can answer the question accurately are those with both units, both fully restored to as-new specs, who can A/B then in the same system and room.

Anyone in that position?

And why should there be "no love" for the 2325? It's a nice receiver! I'm wondering if some of that isn't just because the 2330's are rarer, so it's more of a coup (status symbol?) to own one... or is there really that much of a performance difference? :dunno:

Well all I can think of is the 2325 has all the Dolby stuff. It's wired in to playback, record/monitor, and Dolby FM as well.

Maybe the extra dolby circuit board, wiring, switches, etc., somehow affects the overall tone even when not in use.

Or maybe the tone control board/preamp is different. I think the main amps are the same.

That dolby NR switch is useful, though I would guess it colors the sound.
That switch also can be trouble but its easy to get to and easy to clean etc, now the 2330 dont have it ? Hmmm.
Cool.
Srinath.

:D

Ok, guys, funny thread! :D

I don't want to say, one is better than the other. They are different, but only a little.

The 2325 has all the Dolby stuff in, that the 2330 (at least the european version) doesn't. The US Version has Dolby FM, right?

Then: The power amps are different. It think, the 2330 design is more modern, but the 2325 for me has the better built quality. E.g. On the power amp driver board the heat sinks on the 2325 are very thick and screwed onto the board. on the 2330 they are thinner and only plugged.

Pre amp, phono amp are the same. Power supply is very lightly different.
2330 has another AM FM Front end with a both in one variable capacitor, while the 2325 has two variable capacitors. One for FM and a separated one for AM.

My 2325 has more deep bass than my 2330. I cannot say, one is sounding better than the other. They are a little different.

Inside view.
2330, where the hole is, the US-2330 has Dolby FM. But the EU one has a second Phono input! :D

2325:

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Marantz 2325 power amp:

All 2325 I have seen so far, had Sanken outputs installed:

And 2330:

Some 2330's have Sankens, too, like the 2325, but some others originally have Toshiba installed:

:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom