What exactly makes a 2330 better than a 2325?

What exactly makes a 2330 better than a 2325?

I can't say anything about the sound quality, but it's definitely NOT the looks.
To these eyes the 2325 might be the best looking receiver of all time :yes:

:D

Last edited:
Asked my tech

I just picked up my restored 2330 from my tech a few weeks ago. I had Doug fro DnA Audio in Kitchener Ontario restore it, and he did a fantastic job. I definitely recommend him. Very easy to communicate with, and his business is very preofessionaly run. Plus... when I went there... the EYE CANDY there was outrageous..

Anyways... although I have never heard a 2325, i also asked him this question, simply out of curiosity. He basically said the same thing... Not much. He has restored both and said after a restore, they sound almost identical.

I have a feeling that most of peoples impressions have come from units that have not been restored.. Seeing as the 2325 is a few years older than the 2330, it could have a slightly different sound though.. Some have said that the 2330 is a little more neutral than the 2325, and the gentleman above mentioned that the 2325 has deeper bass... that may just be "muddier" bass, that reaffirms the 2330 to be more neutral and crisp.

I can definitely speak to the fact that my 2330 has crisper bass than my restored Sx-1010, the bass of the 2330 is more reminiscent of my 8080DB.. faster and tighter. For reference, I do all of my listening WITHOUT Loudness engaged. At low level listening.. the loudness is generally required on the 1010 to get the sound I want... but with the 2330, even at very low level listening, I am content without the loudness function. It is still very detailed. Can't speak to the 2325 in this respect though.

The 2330 was just a "refined" 2325... without the B.. Funny, because the B is usually a refined version.. and you can see from the pics above that their design and layout is very similar. Unfortunately I have the North American version of the 2330 that has Dolby.. So no 2x Aux inputs :thumbsdn:

The 2330B was a whole new design. Don't think you could go wrong with the 2325 or 2330. I'm sure the 2330B is fine too, but at that point i'd go for a 2385 probably..

I have heard a 2385 and it was very clean sounding... Hard to compare to my 2330 though, because it was a completely different environment (heard it once when I was picking up speakers).

Its interesting you pulled this thread up.

A year ago i sold a 2330 that was restored, and kicked myself for doing so. The sound was powerful and clean. I sold it, because i had two of them. It was a unit i bought from a Marantz Tech in Canada, and was restored by him. After we worked some bugs out of it, It was the finest sounding receiver i had ever owned!.

The second 2330 was eventually restored, but as of yet, has never gave the same performance as the first. I am in the process of working the bugs out of it, as we speak.

On to the 2325. I restored that one about 6 months ago and you couldn't pry it away from me.

I would say the first 2330 had a more powerful bass than my 2325, but even though it had a wonderful clean crisp detailed sound, it just did not seem as warm as my 2325. Unfortunately, i am going by memory, as i could never hear them side/side.
I really dig the dolby amp in the 2325 for giving it an extra adjustable edge that, to me, changes the sound (more Bright) in a way my deaf ears really appreciate. The 2330 has dolby also, but the levels are not adjustable & have no meter, as the 2325

The 2330 I have now is getting new filter caps tomorrow, and i'm finishing up a few things on it before i sell it, so i may just hook it up and listen to it for a while, before i finish this comment. It is an Elna Silmic2 restore, as is the 2325, So they are really done in the same manner. Pretty much the same PS (except for thermistors on each amp wired into the P/S )& pre amps, but as mentioned befor, the amps on the 2330 are a bit less forgiving to soldering mistakes. The tracks are a bit thinner. Between amp design and the dolby amp, the rest is almost the same. Some of the smart guys here could maybe shine more light on this.

After these new filter caps break in on this 2330, i will compare the two and give my opinion . As far as looks go, The 2330 looks excellent in a Black case.

Attachments

• 100_0093.jpg
    100_0093.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_0089.jpg
    100_0089.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_0087.jpg
    100_0087.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Kutzler, I am definitely looking forward to the comparison! Now that I have a restore 2330, I won't be going after a 2325, however, I do agree that the 2325 has many extra features that the 2330 does not have.. Including those stunning looks. My 8080DB does have similar Dolby features, and I do enjoy using them with FM, because I believe it helps on some stations.. and even some recordings through Aux and Phono. The 8080DB phono circuit is a little noisy, so the Dolby does help there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2325 was warmer than the 2330. I have read that. My favourite warm sounding reciever is my roomates Pioneer Sx-828. That thing is very warm sounding and smooth. I wouldn't really classify the Sx-1010 as being extremely warm.. although it is warmer than the later Pioneer x50 series. Now the Sherwood S-9910 is warm sounding, and smooth as butter, yet still retains detail.. If you ever get a chance to check one out, definitely do it. You can pick them up for relatively cheap. And the performance you will get out of it is very impressive. I wish mine was restored. I really tossed around which one I was going to get restored, but went with the Marantz because of its reputation, and value.

The Phono amp on the 2330 is awesome though, I really enjoy it. I had some Blind Faith, Moody Blues and Neil Young Harvest on today because it is raining and slightly glum. Sounded better than I remember, for good reason I believe. The FM on the 1010 and 9910 are both better than the 2330 though, not for pulling in stations, but for a full er, more lush FM sound.

Good luck on the rest of your restore!

OK Folks, Its Warmed up and Adjusted. Gotta few things left, but we can hook it up, for now.

Attachments

• 100_0146.jpg
    100_0146.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_0145.jpg
    100_0145.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 75
Lookin Good!! :tresbon:

Excited to hear the results. Hope you give yourself ample time to sit back and enjoy both. :smoke:

Well the first thing that stands out is the 2330 has more control over the Bass. Its definitely stronger than the 2325.

The 2325 has Vishay 18000uf filters, The 2330 has 18000 chem cons.

I'm out of the room now, letting it run. I Was crankin the snot out of the 2325 on sunday :yes:and my ears are still recovering from that, so i'll be taking it easy on the road test here.

The speakers are Hpm 200's and a set of Cerwin Vegas. The Hpm200's will suck the power out of an amp, but this receiver puts them in their place with a thumping Bass, Just like my other 2330.

The clarity is just as nice as my first 2330. :banana:

The difference to me is in the bass, Being more Powerful, with a reversal of the mids. They are not as deep feeling. The Highs are Crisp and Clear as the 2325, Or maybe more so being the mids being less pronounced, let the highs open up more.

So in my opinion, the warmth that comes from the mid range is not as pronounced, but the Bass is stronger. Its easy to see how easy it is to love either unit.

The soundstage and separation is nice. Playing Sara by Fleetwood Mac, places me right in the center of the band. :thmbsp:

As of yet, there is no Bypass on the filters, but Pat recommended 2.2 uf films if i were to go that route. I'm going to let it break in first.

I still have FM Problems with noise on the edges of stations.:scratch2:

Funny as hell, I'm listening to Dire straits, Live at the BBC, Sultans of swing, and that little Banana is Dead Nuts Right on the beat:D

Tomorrow it gets the front pulled off and new paper put in. Switches are getting a workover also

Last but not least, This Camera is getting tossed in the can, these pictures fortell its demise.

Attachments

• 100_0152.jpg
    100_0152.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_0129.jpg
    100_0129.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_0118.jpg
    100_0118.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_0135.jpg
    100_0135.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I can tell after playing it today and laying into it, that this thing has more guts than the 2325. Way more than just 5 watts
The 2325 is through at mid throttle, but this thing is clean up to 2 oclock!
and that is only because i didn't want to push it any farther. I'm waiting for the Neighbors to leave:thmbsp:

Just for the record,
The 2330 has on semi mj21193/94
The 2325 has Marantz A747/1116's

Both units have original differential pairs.

The 2325 has original drivers,
the 2330 has Ksa1220/2sc2960 and MJE15032/33's (in one amp) and stock drivers in the other.

The power supplies are identical, new diodes, Elna silmics and TIP47 pass transistors, Dale 5watt resistor.

Both PEO1 Boards are Elna Silmic, Wima films, Muse Bipolars and maybe a few panasonic films thrown in for good measure.

Last edited:
Wow, great review man! Very good to hear a direct comparison!

I love that you have HPM 200s!!!!! I could only wish!!! Totally kick ass speakers. :banana:

I run my amps through my roommates 200 Watt HPM 100s, my Crites modded KG-4s (new cross overs and titanium diaphrams) and my Pioneer S-1010's. The 1010's have sustained some damage while in my hands... So I am still iffy on these and don't crank them like I used to. I still need to go in and reinforce the spiders on the large passive.. ANYWAYS. Back to the main event.

I have noticed a large amount of bass out of my 2330 as well. Its not overwhelming, or boomy though.. but it digs deep.

Like you said, the clarity is huge. For instance... The other day.. I was in the other room, didn't even have the volume very loud... but would hear every note and word very clearly.. Also, at lower volumes... I can still make out every note and word, even with barely any volume at all. This is in stark difference, even to my Pioneer sx-1010 (restored by the same tech).. where I need to engage the -20db button, then turn the volume up, to get the same clarity, in lower volume playing. I also find that the bass of the 2330 is tighter than that of my 1010. Just a touch less boomy/ flabby.. but it makes a huge difference.

I also agree with your observation on that fact that the midrange is not as pronounced on the 2330. I have actually been increasing the midrange control up by 2 notches on the 2330 while playing it with my KG-4s and one notch on the 1010's.

And last but not least... it does have an insane amount of power!!! It will honestly just keep pushing. I do that testing on the HPM 100s because those suckers are meant to be played loud. I have been up to around 1oclock and I didn't want to push it any further LOL. Glad to know that it will keep going though. I'll make sure the roommates are out of the house when I test that :thmbsp:.

Do you think the poly's across the cans will make a big difference in the HF filtering? The 2330 is already super clear up top.. not sure if i should do it or not..

I am definitely going to do it for the Sx-1010 though!

Thanks Mitch, for your reply. Pat felt that i may not need them also. I put 1uf Vishays on the 2325 and it helped. I tried 2.2ufs and .47's and others, but the 1.0 sounded the best to me. I'm somewhat deaf in the high pitches for some reason:D... but i did hear the difference. I may just leave this unit alone.:thmbsp: Its all apart again , getting another fm board and paper in ft of the lights, so the 2325 is going to be crankin' while i roof my porch today.:music:

The HPM100's kick major butt when it comes to bass. Much tighter and heart thumping than the 200's. When the 100's were hooked up to the first 2330, You could really Feel the bass pulse smack you in the chest!! As you said Mitch, Them things were meant to be played loud. I blew a few mids and tweeters out of mine with the other 2330.

Last edited:
Late to the party!! As mentioned above the bass in 2330 (non b) is incredibly powerful..."digs deep" describes the bass perfectly. 130 watt/channel into 8 ohms was clearly a very conservative figure when Marantz put this one out in '77. Mine benched at 175 watts/channel 8 ohms and hadn't even started clipping. Probably could have squeaked out 185-190 watts. Incredible amp section in this receiver, IMO. :thmbsp:

Also, should mention that I used my 2330 as bass guitar amp for a period of time whilst in a band. Gave my other solid state "bass" amps a serious run for their money.

Mine is the euro 2330 with the two aux inputs. I don't know how it ended up in the States...

Last edited:
Haven't been here for at least one year or so. I just looked in here today and what do I see? The nice 2330 2325 comparison thread. :tresbon: I still have both, my 2325 and 2330. Like them so much. Both fully restored myself with the help of this great forum. :yes:

Time for some pics. :D

Marantz2325nachher2weniger_MB.jpg

Marantz_2330.jpg
[/url]

Marantz_2330.jpg

:beerchug:

Here is more of a coincidence, I left you a Thank You, yesterday, for your Nice Pics!:thmbsp:

As a guy that has listened to and restored many of the upper level Marantz receivers, I can tell you that I personally like the build quality of the 2285 and 2330 non B versions over the B versions. This is one of the reasons that I like the 2325. To me they are much easier to service and the build quality is much more durable in the long run. For me, knowing what is "under the hood" certainly affects my perceived sound appreciation. Kinda like playing vinyl...if I put enough time and effort into cleaning and prepping a piece of vinyl it sounds better. :) My car runs better just after I wash it too.

Marantz 2325 power amp:
All 2325 I have seen so far, had Sanken outputs installed:
Some 2330's have Sankens, too, like the 2325, but some others originally have Toshiba installed:

How do you know that it's a Sanken or Toshiba transistor?

I think they are referring to the large silver output transistors that are mounted directly to the heatsink and are easily viewable with the top off. They will be labeled Sanken or Toshiba right on the top of the transistor. It doesn't make a difference to me, I can't tell the difference in sound. I check all of them every time I do a restoration and one does not seem to fail more than another in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom