What Gear Are You Bringing to the 2006 AK Fest?

Retro Stereo

Subscriber
I am splitting a listening room with Army, and this will be just the stuff I'm bringing.

I am bringing a rack loaded with "EchoWars rebuilt" Pioneer SPEC seperates that includes, two SPEC 2 amps that, when tested, didn't clip until 340 wpc (8 ohm), and and at least two, maybe three, SPEC 1 preamps. I might even bring an M-91 Pioneer Elite amp to hook up to one of those SPEC 1's as well.

I will also be bringing some good CDPs for sources that includes Harman Karden and Pioneer Elite.

Speakers! Damn, I have a multitude of those to bring, and sell, I need room and money for my daughter's H.S. graduation party. So, here is a short list of some of those:

DCM T/W 500s
Dynaco A-25s
EPI T/E 120s
KLH 23s
DLK 1 1/2s
Vandersteen 2 Cs
And a few more I'm forgetting.

I have a very nice Adcom 6-speaker switch-box, so we can do some comparisons. I just bought a bunch of Zebra RCA and Speaker cables and I also have been putting some of my own speaker cables together so I'll have plenty of those at the Fest.

I know Army will be bringing a few items as well, including a pair of his best speakers, but I'll let him fill you in on those.

Also, if ANYONE ELSE wants to bring a pair of speakers, or bring a source, to Army's and my listening room to hear what they'll sound like using my gear, feel free to do so.

Now, let's hear from the rest of you 2006 AK Fest attendee's!

Retro

Last edited:
I'm bringing the SX-1010 again this year to pair up with the HPM-100's of mine that Kegger is going to bring to the Fest. Also going to have the Blue Circle CS integrated, my Rega Planet CDP, and my XM satellite radio hookup. For speakers, probably the Living Voices again to do on the BC amp. Then maybe I'll bring a dart board or a pinball machine or a helicopter fuselage or something ;)

I'm leaning towards bringing a bunch of vintage stuff that pops up quite a bit in conversation, but many have never actually heard.

Right now I'm leaning toward bringing my SX-939 receiver and Toshiba SD-3960 DVD player and powering some JBL 4311s (same as L-100s), DCM TimeWindows, Polk Monitor 10s, EPI 100s, one of the Boston Acoustics A60/70/100s, and maybe a set of AR-2Axs. I've got one those Adcom swirtchboxes too, so A/B'ing is just a button push away. If I get them refoamed, I may drag the EPI 350 and 500 hernias up too, because I'm pretty sure most folks have never seen or heard these guys either.

Plus I'll be dragging in some other stuff, like my LP doubles, a tube grab bag, and some receivers to sell at the swap meet.

Last edited:
Ohm I's will be there yet again... but this year they are totally upgraded. All new drivers and caps.

pre: Blue Circle BC3
Amp: Blue Circle BC26
Phono: Blue Circle BC27 pi
Turntable: Oracle Delphi Mk5 Turbo/Graham 2.2/Benz Ebony
CD/SACD: SCD-C555ES or Pioneer DV-563A

A tuner or two of coarse...

Bringing along some members equipment for pickup.. After modification.. Kenwood KT-8300 and Pioneer SX-1980..

Brian B. said I might be able to run the Obelisk's my system sometime during the weekend..

X

Is anyone bringing Allison Ones/Twos? I've been thinking of bring my Twos along, if there's any interest. I wouldn't mind hearing them with some real power behind them :sigh: . - Mark

MarkAnderson said:
Is anyone bringing Allison Ones/Twos? I've been thinking of bring my Twos along, if there's any interest. I wouldn't mind hearing them with some real power behind them :sigh: . - Mark

How much power are you needing, and 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Retro

You know, I honestly don't know the rated impedance, but I'm thinking it's 4 ohms. Mr. Hardy might know fo' sho'. I'm currently driving them with a 60wpc NAD receiver (and have driven them with a 90wpc Technics integrated and an SX-750), so umm...more than that :D . - Mark

How about bi-amping them with twin Pioneer SPEC 2's. They clipped at 340 wpc into 8 ohms, but EchoWars said they'd prolly do 400 wpc into 4 ohms. Just bring them into Army and Retro's room. :D

Retro

Mine are the early, non-bi-ampable version (this prolly needs to change, huh? :scratch2: ). Even so, I suspect that 400wpc just might be adequate.....maybe :D .

Of course my reely cool Klipsch Fortes' will be there ...so if anybodywhos reely cool wants to hook up some reely cool tube amps and spin something reely cool...we can do that!..that would be reely cool!!!!

Or we can just fire up some reely cool tunes ...sit back and sip some reely cool suds!....(but before and after the reely cool fest hours of course...) :yes:

Last edited:
Of course my reely cool Klipsch Fortes' will be there ...so if anybodywhos reely cool wants to hook up some reely cool tube amps and spin something reely cool...we can do that!..that would be reely cool!!!!

sounds likes a good plan to me but unfortunately i wont be able to make it :thumbsdn: i could of brought some tube amps down (i think i still had a few left at last count :D )but i'm sure theres an ak member that'll take you up on your offer. :yes: just supply them with some md and i think your good to go :D

Reel 2 Reel said:

Or we can just fire up some reely cool tunes ...sit back and sip some reely cool suds!....(but before and after the reely cool fest hours of course...) :yes:

Hey-Hey!!!,
I will be packing an amp or two. Primary will be a TX coupled linestage and its direct heated PP amp. For back up, maybe a restored Citation II? I don't have any TT or vinyl, but I suspect we'll be able to scare up a rig.

At least it's not such a long ride from Dearborn...
cheers,
Douglas

I'll will have some extra tube stuff also.

ASL 300B
GTA SE-40
Rogue 88
Modded ST-70

Maybe more not sure.

I'll probably drag my Variac along too. Kegger mentioned it may be a good idea, especailly since we had all those voltage drop issues last year. Mine has a transformewr in it, so it looks like I can get about a +10% boost out of it.

If you have one and are bringing tubes it may be a good idea to drag yours along also.

Andyman said:
I'll probably drag my Variac along too. Kegger mentioned it may be a good idea, especailly since we had all those voltage drop issues last year. Mine has a transformewr in it, so it looks like I can get about a +10% boost out of it.

If you have one and are bringing tubes it may be a good idea to drag yours along also.

Yah the only concern I would have with the variac is how powerful of one your using, in
other words how much current can it handle and what are you driving.

Mine is rated at 18amps and 2kva, so I should be alright I would think.

I'm bringing my DIYtube based EL84 amp, a preamp, and a Toshiba CD player as a source. Speakers will be HPM 60, maybe a few others. I want to showcase how some older speakers play well with lower powered tube amps, say 15 watts a channel or lower.

If anyone wants to stop in with a tube amp or other piece of gear, please do so! We can give it a spin and see how it sounds!

I have an addition to the other items I'm bringing.

I'll be adding a Sony ES DVP-S7000U DVD player that has been fully modded by Stephen Sank of Talking Dog Transducer Company.

If anyone would like to try this out with their system, let me know.
From what I understand, you and I will be pleasantly surprised.

Retro

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom