What got you into Klipsch?

Klipsch Pro Media 2.0 in college. A bunch of friends bought them as well because they liked them so much. They were great, and lead to a pair of Forte's and now a pair of Quartets. Absolutely love them.
Pro Media 2.0 are fantastic!! But they seem to be kinda fragile?? I have two F'd up pair?? Gotta dig into them and see if I can get them right again??

But my friend introduced, them to me and I was blown away! Don't know what s wrong with them, but they are worth fixing to me!

Pro Media 2.0 are fantastic!! But they seem to be kinda fragile?? I have two F'd up pair?? Gotta dig into them and see if I can get them right again??

But my friend introduced, them to me and I was blown away! Don't know what s wrong with them, but they are worth fixing to me!

Ya they are truly great, but will break if the satellites fall from a good distance. Gotta be careful, since they are on a cord apart from the subwoofer. But I used to bring them to huge parties and get into trouble with them, they rocked so hard. Depends on how easy they are to fix though, it might be more worthwhile to replace a component rather than delve into fixing it for something as recent as pro media 2.0

Ya they are truly great, but will break if the satellites fall from a good distance. Gotta be careful, since they are on a cord apart from the subwoofer. But I used to bring them to huge parties and get into trouble with them, they rocked so hard. Depends on how easy they are to fix though, it might be more worthwhile to replace a component rather than delve into fixing it for something as recent as pro media 2.0
Mine did not suffer from mechanical damage?? Something failed in them?? I hope I can figure out what went wrong cause they were pretty awesome! :)

The first speakers better than my all-in-one TT/Speaker combo I ever heard were KHorns owned by a neighbor down the street when I was 14. My buddies and I used to drool over them when we got a chance to listen to them. Fast forward 35 years and I finally got a chance to start playing around with vintage speakers on a very limited budget. I jumped at the chance to grab a pair of KG4’s but realized I had no place to use them with our four boys still living at home. Regrettably I sold them.

Several years later the local internet classifieds had a pair of poorly painted black Heresy 1’s that I picked up. I absolutely loved the detail of the horns and the intensity of the bass. They started out as HWO’s so I started to strip them. I soon realized the cabinets had been heavily damaged and repaired with bondo. They were so bad I parted them out and added a few more $’s to my speaker account.

Fast forward a few more years to two years ago and I had commandeered a basement bedroom for my stereo gear after our four boys had all moved out of the house. So I started watching for a pair of Forte’s. Northern Utah is the polar opposite of the Klipsch hotbeds in other areas of the country where vintage Klipsch Heritage stuff seems to show up regularly on Craigslist and at the local thrift stores for throw away prices. After months of watching for Forte’s with no luck a pair of the ugliest La Scala’s imaginable showed up on the local internet classifieds. I never dreamed a pair of La Scala’s would be within reach but they were so ugly the seller had them listed lower than I ever thought I’d see them for. But they were still more than I was willing to pay. Undaunted I went to check them out.

They started life with a birch raw finish. The seller had quite the story to tell. He’d got them from a buddy, the original owner, who used to listen to them on the outdoor deck of his house. At some point, likely after way too many drinks, he painted them (very poorly) flat black with flat red on the dog houses. Some time later one of them was painted (slightly less ugly) semi-gloss black. So that’s how I saw them. The asking price was $600, not a bad price by Utah standards even considering the ugly appearance. After lots of talk about vintage gear and Klipsch in particular I loaded my 1976 La Scala’s into the SUV, feeling elated to get them for $400.

Mechanically they are solid. The corners and edges of the repainted black speaker are sharp and straight. The black and red one needs more work, the top layer of original veneer having been peeled off the top, and the lower front corners showing a little road rash. I’m considering adding a layer of 1/4” plywood to the top and sides then painting them black. I’d love to get the original birch finish back but I’ll decide what to do after I start sanding them. But for now I’m pretty much the only one that sees them so the appearance isn’t critical. And that obviously doesn’t affect the sound, which gives me goosebumps every time I listen to them. I’ll recap the second AA crossover next week. One notch up on the bass control of my Marantz 2265 gives me all the intense, hard-hitting bass I need. And the mids add a realism and live concert sound that’s almost unbelievable. Ugly or not they’re not going anywhere.

I finally found the Forte’s I’d been looking for about 18 months ago but sold them just last week to a good buddy of mine. And instead I’ll keep the Chorus II’s I found just a couple months after getting the Forte’s. Ok, so occasional Heritage deals do show up here. The oak clear Chorus’s are about an 8-9/10 on appearance and cost me $150. I don’t think they’ll be going anywhere either.

a friend of mine who cleans houses called and said a client had just bought a Bose Wave system and had some speakers he wanted to sell. found out they were Klipsch kg4s and wanted $150 for the pair. They were perfect and sounded great...this was a few years back.

Next pair of kg4's was snagged at a Goodwill for $50! Found them under the dress rack!

The look - I always though the La Scala (and Belle) are great looking (and sounding) speakers. Very original designs.

The efficiency is fantastic too - it allows me to play with my 5W Pass amps.

Hmmm... in 1987, I bought a pair of KG4s at the AudioVideo store in Aschaffenburg, West Germany. Blew away all of the guys in my unit with my NAD 2200 and those speakers. Sold them to a buddy and bought a pair of TimeWindows (which I still own).

Fast Forward to a few years back... got an itch to expand the inventory, so picked up a pair of Quartets for a song. I was in the process of refinishing them (in Duratex) and upgrading the crossovers when I came across a nice pair of Heresys in black. Shortly thereafter, came across a beautiful, almost mint pair of Cornwalls on this forum and took them home... they're my main listening speakers now. I've moved a couple of times in the past couple of years, but I'm getting back to the refinish on the Quartets soon and will likely do the same for the Heresys.

Owning tube amplifiers drove me to Klipsch, and I have no regrets. I bought a pair of Heresy Is in 2015, and a pair of Forte IIs this year. Both sets have undergone Crites modifications. A PAS NG, Marantz Model 5s, and Forte IIs are as close to perfect as necessary.

AE32CBAA-0CEB-450C-915A-8176630A14A6.jpeg

8A79478D-C54A-44AA-8C8D-2333A6879925.jpeg

Reputation, nice walnut veneers, and an "older" college buddy (he was maybe 25 years old) had a pair of Klipschorns and I never forgot the sound they made at his house parties. That was over 40 years ago.

Heresy Decorator Series (Sold)
Chorus II with Crites tweeter diaphragms and crossover cap kit. I have a love/hate relationship with this speaker.

Neighbors house had rhythmic, thumping vibrations for years. "Heresay" he says.
Ebay arrives on the scene. Buy Sansui AU-G90X. Need good speakers, Ebay finds some called "Chorus II" 15 miles away.
Both houses now rock.

I grew up in a Heresy/Lascala/Khorn/McIntosh house. Present system is RF-7/RC-7/RS-7/RSw-12 with Arcam driving them.:cool:

This site... first got a pair of Heresy II’s which I upgraded to Crites crossovers and diaphragms. Then came Heresy HIP’s for the garage TV/stereo with sub. Then I came across Khorns from 78 that I had to upgrade to Crites crossovers, now I just got a set of Cornwall’s that had been upgraded to Crites crossovers and tweeters! Still have them all and listen to them regularly. Good stuff.

In shopping for a grand piano 15 years ago I realized that I like pianos with some, what my piano dealer called, "zing" to their sound. Very bright, just short of piercing. Klipsch are the equivalent for me in the speaker world. They definitely have a little zing.

What got you into Klipsch?

House party's in the 70's and 80's. Every time I encountered anything Klipsch they never failed to leave a lasting impression. Still cant get enough of them.

Julian Hirsch's review of the KG4, started my journey. After reading that Stereo Review issue I drove down to the local Klipsch dealer and had a listen. I sold off my Kenwood LS408Cs and I've had at least one set of Klipsch speakers in the house ever since.

I just picked up a set of late 80's Lascalas over the Christmas holidays. Once I finish building a set of Type A crossovers for them, still waiting for UPS to deliver my Solen 12awg inductor coils. I'll replace the junky ALs, and my beloved VMPS RM40s will probably be up for sale.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom