What happens running 4 ohm amp connects to 8 ohm speakers?

I had some logitech pc speakers and the speakers were 8ohm and also some packard bell which the bass speaker were blown and the packardbell were 4 ohm and i put the speaker out of the logitech into the packardbell

8ohm amp - Packard Bell with 4ohm speaker - Logitech

The packard bell had a speaker guard glued to the speaker and the logitech didn't so it also has less interference on the sound but also looks cool because theres no guard.

So bassically the Logitech speaker didn't have a guard because the speaker was not visable on the bottom but on the Packard Bell the speaker was on the side so it had a guard but because around my place everyone must take serous care around the House so the loss of speaker protection guard isn't bad so ive gone up all levels

1. No more sound interference
2. Looks damn cool
3. Just a third point to make the whole point look legit and because i can

So bassically the Logitech speaker didn't have a guard because the speaker was not visable on the bottom but on the Packard Bell the speaker was on the side so it had a guard but because around my place everyone must take serous care around the House so the loss of speaker protection guard isn't bad so ive gone up all levels

1. No more sound interference
2. Looks damn cool
3. Just a third point to make the whole point look legit and because i can
Hope I didn't confuse anyone :) sorry for spam I keep forgetting to add points.

Remember speakers are not resistors. Speaker impedance varies all over the place. Especially with ported, vented and horn loaded speakers. Remember by convention the impedance of a speaker is usually the lowest point i n the curve of the woofer above resonance. That said panel speakers, such as Acoustat, can dip to below 1 ohm in the high frequencies when the speaker may be rated at 8or 4 ohms. So know your speakers and know your amps capabilities. Ever wonder why Mac SS amps have 2 ohm taps now days and will meat specs with a load 50% of the published impedance. Some Mac amps with out autoformers rated at 8 and 4 ohms will easily surpass specs below 1 ohm. Some Crown amps rated a 4 ohms easily perform well down to 1 ohm, too. All of Accuphase amps will perform to very high standards down to 1 ohm. Where you have to watch your self are with bargain and budget based receivers and integrated amps that just don't have the capacity to handle difficult loads. So, Buyer be aware! And don't always believe all the hype. The boys in the Advertising departments can be very optimistic, if not deceitful.

Tube amps are special cases and don't have the current capacity of solid state amps. So if the speaker even says 8 ohms, try the 4 ohm tap, you might find a real improvement in sound. 4 ohm speakers can be very taxing to tube amps. Ever wonder why Mac's 2301 300 watt tube amp has a 2 ohm tap? The need to drive speakers that require more current.

Remember speakers are not resistors. Speaker impedance varies all over the place. Especially with ported, vented and horn loaded speakers. Remember by convention the impedance of a speaker is usually the lowest point i n the curve of the woofer above resonance. That said panel speakers, such as Acoustat, can dip to below 1 ohm in the high frequencies when the speaker may be rated at 8or 4 ohms. So know your speakers and know your amps capabilities. Ever wonder why Mac SS amps have 2 ohm taps now days and will meat specs with a load 50% of the published impedance. Some Mac amps with out autoformers rated at 8 and 4 ohms will easily surpass specs below 1 ohm. Some Crown amps rated a 4 ohms easily perform well down to 1 ohm, too. All of Accuphase amps will perform to very high standards down to 1 ohm. Where you have to watch your self are with bargain and budget based receivers and integrated amps that just don't have the capacity to handle difficult loads. So, Buyer be aware! And don't always believe all the hype. The boys in the Advertising departments can be very optimistic, if not deceitful.

Tube amps are special cases and don't have the current capacity of solid state amps. So if the speaker even says 8 ohms, try the 4 ohm tap, you might find a real improvement in sound. 4 ohm speakers can be very taxing to tube amps. Ever wonder why Mac's 2301 300 watt tube amp has a 2 ohm tap? The need to drive speakers that require more current.

Excellent explanation of the "real world" dynamics of speaker loads. This would drive me crazy when designing a great speaker enclosure and then trying to find matching drivers to advantage the design. You could find excellent drivers with the right physical dimensions... but low and behold... varying impedance values :eek:.

Eventually I learned to grasp crossover design and negating impedance values across the power spectrum of the design. So far I have avoided potential "real world" load issues... and in doing so got by with some great and efficient cabinet designs.

However.... I would caution anyone venturing to do so to put the time in to understand amplifier impedance and damping variations... as this will really decide whether or not the speaker will perform "eloquently" under higher power levels. Its worth the research :thumbsup:!

Back
Top Bottom