What have I done??!

Crashlander

Hi there,

So I bought a Sony LBT-D105 from a old lady on craigslist. Everything looked good and it was cheap, so I took it home. That's when I noticed the tape decks didn't work. The old girl outwitted me.

So cracked it open to replace the belts, and of course now I'm stuck. They were completely melted, so there was nothing left to take a reference picture of. I believe I have the correct belts, but no idea how they go on.

Does anyone know which order these belts go on?

Any help would be amazing. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2017-09-01 08.44.05.jpg
    2017-09-01 08.44.05.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 54
Here's an easier look at the inside:

belts.jpg

Awesome, thanks for that.

I can't quite make out the layout in the service manuals. Is there a common layout for belts (i.e. two small ones connecting to the motor, and the larger belts around the wheels?) or is it different for every manufacturer?

Curious to hear if anyone has had any similar experience with a dual tape deck.

A "clue" as to how the belts "go in" (in addition to the manual) is how many "grooves" are on each pulley.

For example, if the motor pulley has two grooves then it has TWO belts that come off of it, the pulley that drives the capstan may be directly driven from the single motor, another thing is "how do the grooves "line up", a "bottom" groove on the motor may line up with a (capstan) pulley that has a "low groove" nearest the chassis, the other (capstan) one may be a higher up groove matching the next motor pulley groove.

BTW, A "Capstan" is the metal pin that directly drives the tape, and is pushed against by the "pinch roller", this name is used on a sailing ship as the "post" (wound with rope) that is driven by a crank on top or by holes near the top into which are placed long handles to drive it around when needed.

Another "clue" is the "fuzzy blocks" that are seen to the right side of the motor, these are in the path of one of the longer lengths of belt travel, they help "damp out" vibration of the belt as it runs between the motor and EACH capstan pulley (I am assuming the capstan belts NEED damping).

Thats the best I can do from memory, hope this helps.

Mark T. :music:

This is super helpful and has got me as far as placing the two longer of the belts in the correct spot. The two smaller ones I can quite figure out. I'll try a few other arrangements...

Back
Top Bottom