What I learned on Craigslist

Ha indeed. I have a SA-520 amp right in front of me. It runs my computer speakers. Happens to have volume-controlled phono-plug output on the back, perfect for the subwoofer. OK cheap amp, though sad compared to what came before.

Had no idea speakers were that early, figured they came later. They look truly pitiful, though. They sound like they look?

I listened to them when I picked up the amp and they sounded like the cones and foam looked. Worse than the picture above. I wondered about the RCA headphone connections in the rear of the 520. Good idea!

I guess there used to be headphones around with RCA-plus on them. I've used front headphone jacks for subwoofers too, but the back connections are more convenient.

I learned that CL can be a wonderful place with a little luck. Some of you have probably seen my recent 4312A score. So, this meant finding a new home for my project L100s. I don't have room for both and with these being so nice I no longer felt motivated to work on a "project speaker". I wasn't in a hurry to unload them, but I saw an ad from a guy looking for a pair and something told me to call.

He walks in and says "I know you from somewhere". I start setting up the speakers (he brought his amp to hear the whole system together). He's looking me up and down and suddenly blurts out "Oh my God! You're the guy from the Goodwill." I'm sure I must have looked puzzled because he then said "The Tom Waits record!" Then I knew exactly what he was talking about. Some time ago (I'm guessing three summers) I went into a Goodwill. They had their records right on a table in the window. This guy sees me (in my blue scrub top which makes me look like a GW employee) and thinks I'm putting out the records. I'm actually scooping a half dozen Tom Waits albums. He runs in and realizes what is actually happening and gets a dejected look on his face. I asked him if he was a fan. He said he has every album of his except the one he saw me holding through the window. I looked at him and said "take it". He couldn't believe it. He said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him in this hobby. Fast forward three years and he and I are both happy to be reacquainted. He said he told that story to several friends and none of them believed him. They said if it was true then I am a sucker. Anyway, we sat and talked for about an hour as we listened to my speakers and his amp. It wasn't even like a business transaction. It was like a lovely visit with an old friend. We were both thrilled with the transaction. I had told him on the phone $350, he didn't have any tens so he gave me $360 and wouldn't take change. It was a most pleasant experience. I know I could have got more cash out of them, but I am quite happy with the way it turned out.

CL ad turned out to be a kid down the block said he had vinyl but nothing to play it on. I emailed him later and said since money already changed hands I can't GIVE him an old Toshiba TT but I'd sell it to him for 5 or 10 bucks He can get a cheap preamp and hook it up to his Onkyo surround unit until he can get some good gear. He couldn't believe I took the time to email him much less make the offer. It will come back to me I'm sure...I'm a believer in God AND Karma.

Today I learned that a $1000 turntable will sound like a $5 turntable if you play it while it's sitting on top of your sub.

01313_fihFeQvvHfE_600x450.jpg
Clearaudio concept mm record player in excellent condition. Made in Germany. Manual, Dust cover, cartridge weight watcher, and extra mm cartridge included. $1000.00

They didn't count the tweeters in those Polks. Should be 1000 watts! Amazing that there are all those watts in there, with no power cord! And they don't even leak out the blowhole down at the bottom.

They didn't count the tweeters in those Polks. Should be 1000 watts! Amazing that there are all those watts in there, with no power cord! And they don't even leak out the blowhole down at the bottom.
I'd crank those suckers up and wait for some chucklehad to poke in the dust covers.
1000 watts!!! :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom