What I learned on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by DonQuixote99, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Goofyfoot201

Goofyfoot201 Member

Had a guy advertise a turntable. Decent price at $300. I ask what part of town. He says he can meet me in Gastonia NC which is just west of Charlotte (Charlotte Craigslist). I ask, "You don't have it hooked up?" He says I do but I live in Boone (2.5 hours away) and I would have to drive it down.I check the Boone craigslist and it's not listed there. I tell him I don't want him to go to all that trouble. He says he's in Charlotte all the time. Next email he says he doesn't have it listed in Boone Craigslist for some reason I can't remember. Did make sense so I let it go. If it doesn't add up it doesn't add up.

2. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

my rules. never meet at the house, use a non-personal phone number and email (CL is
    good at this), and test "let's meet at the XYZ police station".

there are numerous stories about robber/murder using CL. risk/reward ratio out of whack.

3. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are numerous stories about robbery and murder walking down the street, or sitting in your home, too. Yet people do it all the time.

It's your town, your neighborhoods, your security. Use your judgment. But don't be put off entirely just because bad things happen occasionally.

4. toxcrusadr

Somewhere, from 20 years ago, I have a picture of a similar sign in a similar looking yard in MO that said:

For Sale
    Rabbits
    Laying Hens

Those poor hens.

tyella likes this.
  5. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I heard, that outside... people get hit by lightning.

fredgarvin and superdog like this.
  6. toxcrusadr

7. jberger

jberger AK Subscriber Subscriber

All set for Easter.

tyella likes this.
  8. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Desert Rat Subscriber

9. jberger

jberger AK Subscriber Subscriber

10. gladiator335

gladiator335 MRTI Subscriber

Here is a new speaker company: Aztec Lansing....Live and learn.

11. Windwalker

Windwalker AK Subscriber Subscriber

Back in the "old" days there were these things called computers, they fit on/under a desk and were not very portable
    but one could read emails on them. Which was much easier than trying to talk on the phone sometimes, due to the noice level of shop equipment
    just saying...

fredgarvin likes this.
  12. toxcrusadr

For posterity:

[​IMG]

All I can say is...

y Tho.jpg

13. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

That's not what they were attempting to do. When a Craigslist seller responds back to an email from a potential buyer, the seller's email is not shown, the response comes from craigslist. For whatever reason they were trying to get me to reply to another email with my email that would not pass through the craigslist domain. They were trying to get my email address, possibly to hijack it. If they had access to a computer on the shop floor to receive emails they would also be able to send them, why didn't he just send the inquiry himself instead of going through a phantom middleman.

14. Windwalker

Windwalker AK Subscriber Subscriber

ahhh, forgot the anominizer part....

15. HyKlas

HyKlas AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've learned lately, garage sale ads that say "no records" far outweigh the ones that say "records"...

What gives? Are the record hunters now the #1 most obnoxious early birds? Are they just using that line as a way to get hits on their ad? I can pick out at least a half dozen per week in my area that say "no records".

16. toxcrusadr

Today I learned that this Sony under-the-counter clock radio/CD player:

[​IMG]

puts out MEGA-BASS!

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  17. Ziricote1

Ziricote1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've learned that half the people who respond to ads will express interest and then never respond back.

Generally goes something like this -

Buyer: "Extremely interested in your receiver, when can I come pick it up?"

Me : "Anytime today or tomorrow, contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx"

crickets.

Maybe they're just fishing for valid email addresses?

18. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

If you've ever been calmly looking through a stack of records at a thrift and had to put up with some grey haired pony-tailed, Hawiian-shirt and cargo short wearing asshole immediately start doing the "annoyed breathing" thing (whch only makes me slow down and start purusing every cover as if it's the Rosetta Stone) then yeah, I would also say "no records" if I had a garage sale.

It's like a freaking uniform down here. And the annoying breathing and muttering doesn't wait... it's as soon as Mr. Reseller walks up...as if somehow that stuff was there for HIM and I'm touching HIS shit. Those are typically the guys that show up at 4AM with a flashlight wondering why you aren't ready yet.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  19. Bdbras84

Bdbras84 Active Member

I know those assholes an can't stand them either!

20. superjojo

superjojo Active Member

An animal almost as disgusting as the electronics hoarder. Go to a record show, you can compete for space with a whole herd of these dipshits.

I just alienated 95% of audiokarma members.