What I learned on Craigslist

The work of cleaning, grading, and sleeving doesn't sell a single record. The work that they're doing is finding buyers.
OK I am going to ask that my OP be ignored at this point and I will surrender, admitting I was wrong and move on.

You mean more work than washing each one with a US, scrub and vac plus re sleeving in expensive poly liners and outer sleeves, grading and sorting out anything below VG++? Why on earth do they say "We Pay Top Dollar" if they plan to offer lowball offers? Who in their right mind sells $50-$75K worth of records for $10K?
Your choice. Take the best offer you get.

What I learned from Craigslist? There is no hope for humanity.

If one manages to get past the scammers to a real person, 9 times out of ten that real person is full of shit too.

This one today just pushed me over the edge:

I AM INTERESTED IN YOU’RE YOUR SPEAKERS – PLEASE CALL ME –

303 912-69XX - HUGH

I called back within minutes of receiving the email, call goes straight to voicemail. Hours later, still to voicemail.

Nice scam Hugh, you cretin.

I was selling a dual 1229 headshell sled and listed it for $30. I overpriced it a bit so I could take $20. It was NOS so I thought that was a fair price. I get an email from a guy who offers me $20 but wants me to ship it instate. I reply that I'll ship it but I want $30 for my trouble. He email back that it would only cost a dollar to ship. Maybe if I threw it in a envelope slapped a stamp on it and hoped for the best. I list things on C.L. for the convenience of meeting someone intown having a quick cash transaction and we both go our own ways. I didn't want to be rude but I ended up emailing back why don't you just buy one on eBay.

i

What I learned from Craigslist? There is no hope for humanity.

If one manages to get past the scammers to a real person, 9 times out of ten that real person is full of shit too.

This one today just pushed me over the edge:

I AM INTERESTED IN YOU’RE YOUR SPEAKERS – PLEASE CALL ME –

303 912-69XX - HUGH

I called back within minutes of receiving the email, call goes straight to voicemail. Hours later, still to voicemail.

Nice scam Hugh, you cretin.

I hope you didn't just alert the BORG!!!

I_Borg_Star_Trek_TNG_HD.jpg

I had a buyer ask me to bring my Anthem amp to him and when I did he asked me to bring it upstairs so he could audition it and let me know. If possible can I leave it for a few days while he listens and if he didn’t buy he would give me $25 for my trouble. This was an hour away from where I Was. I left. A couple weeks later he contacts me to ask if I had reconsidered his offer!

I had a buyer ask me to bring my Anthem amp to him and when I did he asked me to bring it upstairs so he could audition it and let me know. If possible can I leave it for a few days while he listens and if he didn’t buy he would give me $25 for my trouble. This was an hour away from where I Was. I left. A couple weeks later he contacts me to ask if I had reconsidered his offer!
I had a guy once that I sold a pair of speakers to. While there we were chatting and he mention a pair of little dynaco amps that he had and would sell me and insisted that I take them and give them a listen for a few weeks.

In your situation that should have been discussed before hand.

I had a guy once that I sold a pair of speakers to. While there we were chatting and he mention a pair of little dynaco amps that he had and would sell me and insisted that I take them and give them a listen for a few weeks.

In your situation that should have been discussed before hand.
Yeah, my situation was not at all friendly or kindred spirit like. I would not have been surprised to get the amp back a few days later with missing or exchange tubes or damaged.

As an aside the buyer emailed me weeks late to tell me he bought a $45K set up instead and I missed an opportunity to sell my gear. Then weeks after that he contacted me again to ask if I still had amp FS as he was going to return the $45K set up if he could. I never replied. I somehow think I have not heard the last of him. I understand wanting to audition or hear how something sounds in your system, your speakers but to expect a total stranger to leave stuff, with no idea if you even really live there or was in an airbnb is crazy. Plus he kept adding hurdles every step. First I had to deliver, then I had to carry upstairs, then I had to allow him to hook it up and finally I had to be willing to leave it. I suppose I could have taken a comparable piece of gear home with me just in case but I got a crappy hit off the guy.

Yeah, my situation was not at all friendly or kindred spirit like. I would not have been surprised to get the amp back a few days later with missing or exchange tubes or damaged.

As an aside the buyer emailed me weeks late to tell me he bought a $45K set up instead and I missed an opportunity to sell my gear. Then weeks after that he contacted me again to ask if I still had amp FS as he was going to return the $45K set up if he could. I never replied. I somehow think I have not heard the last of him. I understand wanting to audition or hear how something sounds in your system, your speakers but to expect a total stranger to leave stuff, with no idea if you even really live there or was in an airbnb is crazy. Plus he kept adding hurdles every step. First I had to deliver, then I had to carry upstairs, then I had to allow him to hook it up and finally I had to be willing to leave it. I suppose I could have taken a comparable piece of gear home with me just in case but I got a crappy hit off the guy.

Follow your gut in situations like this. Sounds to me like this guy has some issues.

I’ve had a few situations where the person negotiated a price with me, then asked me to deliver. Since I was going that way anyway, I did. Guy comes out, looks at it, then offers me half. Thanks for the offer. No way! I’m gone!

Oh yeah, that probably wasn't even his apartment. You'd show up for your amp and whoever is there (his buddy) would say he has no idea what you're talking about. Or something. That just smells bad. I mean I'd let a friend audition something, but sheesh.

@RobertCO: Extra points for using the underappreciated term "cretin". :beerchug:

You've heard the expression "possession is 9/10ths of the law"? Leave it behind and it's hard to prove it's yours, ... not worth the risks.

I relearned a lesson yesterday from craigslist.
A guy told me had had excessive building lumber and plywood.
Said he had full sheets, 2x6's and 2x4's, and I could load up my truck with as much as I wanted for $25.
I drove 60 miles to find he had 1 sheet of plywood, 1 sheet of particle board, and a 2 foot 2x6.

People have very inflated ideas of what they own.

I've largely given up on CL for moving stuff. I can't remember the last time I got a solid bite out of that site. For some stuff, I'll put it on FB Marketplace but even that is ridiculous sometimes. Last week I sold a Yamaha 7.1ch Amp. Very reasonable price, I was asking $75 just to make some space. I had guys messaging me basically saying "40 cash" all day. It gets a bad wrap, sometimes deservedly so, but I generally have the best luck moving things on that popular auction site. I like that I can weed out offers below a certain amount too. The fees I pay more than offset the hassle of dealing with cheap-a** cretins.

I love the "cash" offers on CL and FB. It says cash only right in my ad... But sure, I'll take less than half asking price if you have CASH!

That is right up there with people asking if it is still available when the ad says "If this ad is up, it is available." Even legit buyers ask this. :dunno::dunno:

Back
Top Bottom