jrethorst

16830977_10209952960272974_7313106963863830951_n.jpg

This is a Rek-O-Kut belt-drive turntable with SME arm and Ortofon cartridge. The McIntosh tuner-preamp drives two Dynakit Mark 3 tube amps (on the floor below) that have been rewired for triode mode, using EL-34 outputs. All in a nice mahogany Victrola cabinet, complete with original decal on the inside lid, that I found in a Goodwill (it's been refinished of course). Speakers are Rectilinear Xa (acoustic suspension).

16830977_10209952960272974_7313106963863830951_n.jpg

This is a Rek-O-Kut belt-drive turntable with SME arm and Ortofon cartridge. The McIntosh tuner-preamp drives two Dynakit Mark 3 tube amps (on the floor below) that have been rewired for triode mode, using EL-34 outputs. All in a nice mahogany Victrola cabinet, complete with original decal on the inside lid, that I found in a Goodwill (it's been refinished of course). Speakers are Rectilinear Xa (acoustic suspension).

More pictures, please...:)

A very interesting project, quite attractive, unusual, particularly driving the Xa's with Dyna Mk III triode mods.

Last edited:
A very interesting project, quite attractive, unusual, particularly driving the Xa's with Dyna Mk III triode mods.
Thanks Fred. It was just good luck that the Xa's and triode-wired EL34's do so well together. I also have a Heathkit AR-1500, very similar to what you have, and while that sounds good too there's no comparison. BTW I like the AR2ax too -- its sound is more similar to the Xa than anything else I've heard, although the Xa is to my ears more open and neutral. Hope your Xa project is coming along well.

When I had my Rectilinear Xa's, I did run them with the Heath AR-15. I never heard them with the CR-2020, which would have been even better I believe.

As a musician (serious but amateur, certainly), I am interested in a very detailed as well as neutral sound. For my price range I couldn't beat it from what I was able to audition at the time.

Back
Top Bottom