What, if anything, should the NCAA do to Penn State?

finnbow

The Dude Abides
Of course, the NCAA will wait and see what PSU does to itself. Is the "death penalty" warranted (like Texas Christian) or a less severe penalty normally reserved for players getting free tattoos (Ohio State)? I'm torn on this one. I have lots of friends and relatives who went there and a friend of my son has committed to play football there. So, I'm probably not unbiased.

If this is indeed a "football problem" (and some think it isn't), it's maybe the worst violation ever. If not, it's criminal acts that are independent of PSU's football program. In my view, PSU football enabled (or maybe even abetted) these crimes, so some sort of NCAA sanction is warranted. Maybe 2 years without football?:dunno:

> If this is indeed a "football problem" (and some think it isn't)...

WHAT FOOL COULD THINK THAT?

Did it occur in the Macramé Department?

Strongest possible sanctions are justified.

The death penalty is normally levied for "loss of institutional control" of the program. I think that applies in this case. The football program was, essentially, in full control of the management of the school, and was actively involved in a conspiracy to cover up felony criminal conduct by members of the football program staff.

This is a tad worse than players getting cars from wealthy boosters.

I've been hearing about the program being shut down through the 2013 season. That would be appropriate for serious, ongoing violation of NCAA rules or policies. In this case, though, I don't think it's enough.

I would support a 5-year suspension.

I heard an interesting debate on sports radio about whether or not to tear down the Paterno statue on campus. Personally, I think they should tear it down and leave the wreckage right there as a reminder. As for the school itself, the death penelty is actually pretty light if you ask me.

I heard an interesting debate on sports radio about whether or not to tear down the Paterno statue on campus. Personally, I think they should tear it down and leave the wreckage right there as a reminder. As for the school itself, the death penelty is actually pretty light if you ask me.

Agree on both.

Death penalty. And go after ALL the others who knew or should have known about this, & didn't lift a finger to stop it, 'cause it was the Almighty "FOOTBALL PROGRAM"... They ALL knew-You'll never convince me otherwise-Nothing like this stays a secret for as many years as this went on. NO excuse for this.

> If this is indeed a "football problem" (and some think it isn't)...

WHAT FOOL COULD THINK THAT?

Did it occur in the Macramé Department?

Strongest possible sanctions are justified.

JoPa. He wrote a letter saying so. Many PSU fans or apologists say the same.

One could make an argument that it isn't a football problem (i.e., it didn't impact the competitiveness of their football team), but I won't.

The rhetorical question on this one is: Do you punish an entire university and its alumni (probably hundreds of thousands of people) for the criminal (and prosecutable actions) of a few? In this instance, I'd say yes but without a lot of vigor.

Last edited:
yep im afraid its the DP for these guys. with some long prison terms sprinkled on top. i wouldnt give a bucket of pee for the school as a whole after the lawyers and civil cases get done with them. fund raising is gonna be a tough sell.

eric

...fund raising is gonna be a tough sell.

eric

Eric, I heard on a Denver station that recuitment for PSU football had one of it's best in some years, that enrollment at the school is at it's highest and that fund raising is also high...go figure. Preston

Eric, I heard on a Denver station that recuitment for PSU football had one of it's best in some years, that enrollment at the school is at it's highest and that fund raising is also high...go figure. Preston

In a way, it's understandable. As a Virginia Tech alumni (as is my oldest son and my youngest son is now there), there was a huge rallying to VT after the shootings by alumni contributors and applicants. Though the circumstances are different, people will rally to their alma mater. They don't want to see it disappear.

Some food for thought:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/s...ate-scandal-poses-tough-choices-for-ncaa.html

Last edited:
I'm biased because I went there. If Paterno were alive they would take him to Court over the emails they found, question him and they would rule it a football or non-football issue. Since he's dead they can't do that. They can only punish Administrators now.

This Sandusky dude is seriously ill. He has never shown an ounce of regret to the School (or victims) and he singlehandedly brought the School down.

Paterno will always still be great in my eyes but the Football team will always be tarnished.

More important to what happens to the football program, is what happens to all the enablers. They need to go to jail, and get their butts sued by the parents. Then, if they do not go to jail, banned from working in any capacity in a school.

The football program just happened to be a medium, but the people who allowed this to happen are the ones that should take the main fall...

The only reason I think though that the football program must get nailed is that in the USA lately, it seems that institutions get too big to fail or to be held accountable. We need a realignment of priorities in this nation, and nailing their football program could be at least a step in the right direction.

The malignant power players in the PSU football program appear to be gone - the perpetrator bound for a long stay in jail, and the enabler dead, and in the ground. That, to me, is a pretty serious shakeup of the program.

My overriding concern is the completion the purge of administration people that facilitated the Paterno cult of personality and it's seizure of control of the entire institution. I feel that leveling draconian penalties against the football program would be misdirected. At the end of the day, it isn't the sport, the fans, or the student athletes that are to blame, so, why should they take the brunt of the punishment?

The things that occurred were not sports related, though the did occur directly under the aegis of the athletic department. The corrupt PSU administrators that subjugated their will to Paterno and compromised the integrity of PSU are to blame.

I feel that the NCAA, such as it is, is way out of their depth on this one, and have no jurisdiction over the things that constitute the heart of the matter. This is far too weighty an issue for them to get involved with, in any capacity. Surely they had a modicum of insight into the degree of institutional control Paterno and his football program wielded during the decades in which it occurred, and they did nothing at all when it counted.

It wasnt only the school, even a DA in the ninety's threw away the case...total dereliction of duty....I would love to see ALL the people that let this happen since its beginnings get nailed.

Since they thought nothing of protecting Jerry Sandusky, they should be forced to let him babysit their kids.

Back
Top Bottom