What if scenario on shipping vintage receivers

For packaging materials, try the recycling dumpsters behind optical stores (big chain stores are best). They frequently get new glass-shelf displays, which usually come packed in large quantities of polystyrene foam (photo shown below). This is the perfect material for packing large, heavy, fragile items....it will compress slightly when heavily stressed, but it will not collapse, break down, etc. You can easily cut it to shape with a serrated knife. I have collected this stuff for years, and have several Hefty bags of it in my garage. All free, too.

View attachment 844798

+1 on Polystyrene
Best stuff there is.
I collect it at work.

USPS has a weight restriction and size restriction above which they pile on the extra charges. I took a packed monster receiver to the post office and the charge would have been just under $200. I took the same package to FedEx and the shipping cost was $73.

USPS has a weight restriction and size restriction above which they pile on the extra charges. I took a packed monster receiver to the post office and the charge would have been just under $200. I took the same package to FedEx and the shipping cost was $73.
Yes....the weight limit is 70 lbs., and the maximum package size is 130 inches (total length & width [girth] combined), you will often see a length of what looks like window sash chain hanging near the shipping counter in a Post Office, it will have a 130" mark on it, so they can just wrap it around the biggest measurement of the box to see if it makes it under the limit or not.

Yes Max, that is what was used and when it exceeded that measure they piled on the fees like nobodies business.

Back
Top Bottom