what is a fair % discount to offer for demo speakers

Modlin

Hello....what would be a fair % discount to offer for a top of the line expensive Danish demo speakers?
30%? 35 %?

Hello....what would be a fair % discount to offer for a top of the line expensive Danish demo speakers?
30%? 35 %?

That sounds about right, but a lot has to do with how much the store wants to get rid of them, how many they typically sell, etc.

Whatever you’re willing to actually pay, offer a bit less so you have room to negotiate some. Even if you don’t get it for what you offer, you can let them know that you’re offer stands for say 30 days if they change their mind.

There's no "right" answer. Pick a percentage off (erring on the lower side), make the offer, and see what happens. Most of us know if we're low-balling, so use common sense, i.e. 65 percent off not likely. Worst they say is no, and you either walk away or come up a little. Personally, I'd try for 40 percent to start.

Additional info is if the speaker is being replaced then the dealer will be motivated to move them. If he bought them to demo, he may have gotten a better price on them for that purpose or if he paid full cost on them maybe his floorplan payment schedule is up and he wants them to move. Lots of things can affect the price out the door on demo gear.

In the old days the older gear was blown out during the Washington's Birthday sales, back before it was dead presidents' day. This was a time when stores would buy piles of gear that is being replaced and when someone came in for that demo sale price, they got a brand new unit in the box until those were gone and the demo unit was sold. Next item in that shelf position in the store is the brand new unit that replaced the one sold. Happened every year.

no...just asking for serious offers only...whatever this means
Seriously offer them 60% of the full price, worse they can do is say no. In a situation like this you have to be prepared to walk away if you don't like the deal.

I agree to go for a large discount. Most retail stores get expensive items, like high-end speakers, at anywhere from 45% to 60% of retail. For demo, especially if they are a newer or potentially important dealer, they might get a bit more of a discount. Put another way, they might actually make a few bucks selling them to you at 50% off.

Additional info is if the speaker is being replaced then the dealer will be motivated to move them. If he bought them to demo, he may have gotten a better price on them for that purpose or if he paid full cost on them maybe his floorplan payment schedule is up and he wants them to move. Lots of things can affect the price out the door on demo gear.

In the old days the older gear was blown out during the Washington's Birthday sales, back before it was dead presidents' day. This was a time when stores would buy piles of gear that is being replaced and when someone came in for that demo sale price, they got a brand new unit in the box until those were gone and the demo unit was sold. Next item in that shelf position in the store is the brand new unit that replaced the one sold. Happened every year.

The Winter Consumer Electronics Show (CES) was typically the first full week in January, and that's where the deals on closeout products were made to dealers and chains.

As for the discount on a demo pair of speakers, I'd expect closer to 15-20%, depending on why they were selling them (stock rotation, beaten-up demos, or last items in a line they're dropping). Bonus discount for any pushed in dust caps or tweeter domes.

"As for the discount on a demo pair of speakers, I'd expect closer to 15-20%..."

nope...20% off I got on brand new items from premium brands...w/o much negotiation

Its also going to depend on if you are a good customer or not. The guy who just spent 10K is going to get a better discount than the guy off the street.. Since the store is asking for offers, which seems odd, I would start with a low offer(65% or lower)and see what happens.

"Too big and heavy to move around. Need to make space. One of the best speakers......
Timbre matched drivers, furniture grade finish.... Detailed YET MUSICAL....
SERIOUS Inquiries PLEASE. NOTE THE MSRP...."

this is from dealers description (partial)....
note what he writes in red (my hi-lite))...contradicts himself ?

Sorry you missed them.

note what he writes in red (my hi-lite))...contradicts himself ?

Not a contradiction IMO--just indicates a "motivated" seller, but "serious inquiries only" (to me, at least) means "cash in hand"--as in no tire kickers and if I accept your offer, you better have the money and have them out of here NOW. Not "I'll think about it", or "can you hold them for a week or two?".

Just like buying from a private seller on CL that lists something OBO--show up with cash in hand and your offer is much more likely to be accepted. The seller (your dealer in this case) already knows what they are willing to accept, and if your offer is at least close, and the deal can be done NOW, your offer is likely to be accepted.

I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Isn't George Washington a dead president? I don't think he is having any more birthdays. :jump: They should stop giving him birthday parties.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom