What is a good Bluetooth connector for old receiver

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all i have an older but still very good Yamaha RX-395 Receiver driving a pair of polk Monitor 5 speakers. Id like, from time to time, to run my phone through it. I know there are Bluetooth addapters but have no idea what is good or bad. Any advice is welcomed.

Hi all i have an older but still very good Yamaha RX-395 Receiver driving a pair of polk Monitor 5 speakers. Id like, from time to time, to run my phone through it. I know there are Bluetooth addapters but have no idea what is good or bad. Any advice is welcomed.
i posted my answer in the DAC forum today ...I really enjoy the Peachtree BT1 music server...nice sound & Wolfson chips...lists for $100,but I've seen them used about $50..works so nice & small sizeIMG_1202.JPG

I might argue that you're not going to get 'audiophile' results with any Bluetooth, so you may as well go cheap.

Check out the usual sources for cheap Bluetooth receivers; eBay, Amazon, banggood, AliExpress. There are hundreds of the things, for a few $. Put it this way, you can get an ir remote controlled '50wpc' 3116 amp with BT receiver for £8...

https://m.banggood.com/SANWU-HF183-...r-Board-U-Disk-TF-Card-Decoder-p-1161013.html

You might look for something supporting the better BT audio profiles, such as apt-x.

Last edited:
what kind of phone? not all support the better quality Bluetooth codecs, aptx on the android side and aac on the iPhone side.

if your phone and BT receiver don't each support a high quality codec, routing the headphone Jack on the phone to an input on your receiver will be the better choice.

the fallback lowest common denominator audio codec for Bluetooth is really that bad.

if you can get BT running over a high quality codec, it will be competitive with most headphone jack outputs but not, IME, better. if wireless is important, of course it's an easier approach than running dlna over WiFi, but a network connected player can sound excellent, better than the BT codecs can.

I say this having two apt-x capable receivers in the house. fortunately, neither requires BT as it's sole input, and I wound up using one solely via its analog input (a grace digital tpa 3116 integrated amp played though speakers) and the other solely as a wired DAC and headphone amp (arcam irdac ii, played either through a receiver or directly to headphones.)

Last edited:
Does it have to be Bluetooth? Unless you have a newer phone and get a receiver having the latest BT codecs, quality will be poor. A better option is something like ChromeCast Audio using WIFi from your phone. If you use an iPhone, a used Apple Airport Express is another inexpensive option. The sound quality over WiFi will be better than BT. The only downside is that WiFi uses slightly more battery power than BT. I am never far from a power source, so the power issue does not matter to me.

Also, ChromeCast Audio is much less expensive than a good BT receiver. They go for about $35 US.

My phone is a Galaxy S8+. Stashed away somewhere i have a ChromeCast box.....problem solved. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom