1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good external optical drive for ripping and burning CD's?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by mr.jones, Jun 27, 2017.

1. mr.jones

mr.jones AK Subscriber Subscriber

"Personally I simply bought two comparatively priceworthy (ca. 25 Euro each) external 5.25 drive cases with USB 2.0 <-> IDE/SATA about 2 1/2 years ago, so I can turn random internal CD/DVD/BRD drives into external ones."
    Greetings lini,

I noticed that many of the external optical drives that had the option to switch to a external SATA drive which is why they come with 3.0 USB and addition buffering MB.

2. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Other than longevity, I don't think the hardware for CDs matters much. What is more important is the software you use to do the rips and burns. I second EAC. It is a little clunky but I always use the check data option and convert to compressed FLAC. I just bought the cheapest external unit I could find after my internal unit crapped out. Connects via USB.

Then I transfer the FLAC files to my Sony HAP-Z1ES and HAP-S1 players using the Sony software and playback from there.

I don't have another CD player. I loved SACDs but they are non-existent in my market in the UAE. Hi-Res downloads can be great and very convenient but the selection is frustratingly limited.