What is around Livonia Michigan to see or do

If you're inclined to bring your war clubs, there are a couple of golf courses that are almost within spitting distance of the hotel. They are both municipal courses, but they are petty nice, and relatively inexpensive:

http://www.golflivonia.com/

Fox Creek is due east from the hotel on 7 Mile Road, only about a mile or so away. They also have a nice restaurant and bar there that you can wash away a bad game over your favorite adult beverage.

Whispering Willows is north east of the hotel on Eight Mile and Newburgh Road.

I second the motion for hockey - watching a Wings game is a fantastic experience at The Joe. Just make sure you pre-party so you don't spend a wad of cash on too many $9 beers.

I once had a girlfriend from Livonia. She was QUITE interesting, but I think she has since moved west. You could always drive down to Toledo, Ohio, for lunch at the Polish restaurant that was always mentioned in the TV show MASH. I ate there once and the food was pretty good.

There's the absolutely worst Thai food I've ever eaten. Ghastly. Like a bad movie, sometimes that's work an experience.

well i am not as much a fish eater as i am a fish catcher. everyone i know (and i am into local fishing scene) catches them for either photo opportunity or to weigh in at tournament. very few of these fish are taken which really hurts our other fisheries on st claire. if i am going to eat fish i may try to choke down some walleye or scarf down my personal favorite..... ummm yellow belly perch.
this is my preference, and do not mean any offense...

ps, we started jiggin those pups last fall on the detroit river. we use 10 inch soft plastic bait weighted with about a pound of lead. i cannot even begin to explain the rush when you hook one 12-20 feet directly under your feet. i have heard it called the crack cocain of fishing, after that first strike you will do anything for another...been there, done it, live it !!!!!!!!!!

Polish food? POLISH FOOD?

I once had a girlfriend from Livonia. She was QUITE interesting, but I think she has since moved west. You could always drive down to Toledo, Ohio, for lunch at the Polish restaurant that was always mentioned in the TV show MASH. I ate there once and the food was pretty good.

There's no need to leave the state for Polish food!

There's a town called Hamtramck, surrounded, landlocked, I say, on all sides by Detroit.

There are more Polish speaking people in Hamtramck than in Warsaw, or so I am told....

You can get the most delicious Polish food you will ever eat in Hamtramck.

Nearby is the Polish Yacht Club, aka The Ivanhoe Cafe:

"The Ivanhoe Cafe was founded in Poletown by Stanislaus Grendzinski in 1909. It is the second oldest restaurant in Detroit. (The oldest is the Roma Cafe in Detroit's Eastern Market.) Most people refer to the Ivanhoe as the Polish Yacht Club."

http://hubpages.com/hub/Good_Friday_Perch_Lunch_at_the_Polish_Yacht_Club__deedsphotos

And don't forget: you can drive downriver to Wyandotte for muskrat platters!

You could also drive up to Frankenmuth if you want some good German food, Bronner's is kind of neat if you're looking for Christmas stuff too.

Detroit has lots of concerts too, check out http://www.livenation.com/ for shows in the area.

It's funny how everybody bashes Michigan but I've lived here most of my life and still like it.

Your right, that place isnt half bad :yes:

I was in Detroit this spring. I'd enthusiastically recommend the Art Institute, great collection! And by all means check out Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Livonia. It's a blast!

I was in Detroit this spring. I'd enthusiastically recommend the Art Institute, great collection! And by all means check out Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Livonia. It's a blast!

Its actually in Farmington Hills, but only about 10 minutes or so from the Fest hotel.

While in Livonia -you could swing into Detroit and watch them FRY our dumb ass Mayor-Kwame Kilpatrick.:banana:
That would be a show in itself .........

I'm James Stewart (JHS2RT) ---and I approve this message.

Dang, I did not know about Marvin's, and I used to work in Livonia!

While we are on the subject of ethnic food, Greek Town in Detroit is world famous for - of all things - Greek food. I had an incredible lamb shank dinner at The Parthenon. The meat just about melts right in your mouth! You can take the People Mover right to Greek Town before or after a hockey game. For a great low-key lunch, try Louie's Coney in Livoni at the Laurel Park Mall (assuming it's still there. It's been a while. Really great dogs and grilled chicken greek salads. Also my favorite Thai food (and I've had Thai food everywhere between Germany and Orange County, CA) is in Sterling Heights. Not quite as far as Toledo, but still a bit off the beaten path.

Record stores

Someone knowledgeable should come up with a list of nearby record (vinyl) stores. I know of Dr Disc in downtown Windsor...

There are a few used record/CD places here in/around downtown Ann Arbor. PJ's, Wazoo, Encore. Never been to PJ's, plan on getting there sometime. Wazoo is fairly small and the help was somewhat rude the last time I was there, but hey, it's a record store. Encore seems fairly large in my limited realm of comparison - two or three listening stations, fairly diverse selection with an array of genres.

Record Collector (Ferndale), Record Time (Roseville), Melodies and Memories (Eastpointe), Street Corner Music (Beverly Hills), and Peoples Records (Detroit), just to name a few.

They all have great selections of vinyl. Google for directions and more info.

Thanks Kuma, a few on that list I wasn't aware of. I'll have to do a bit of driving when I have a free Saturday (which should hopefully be sometime this decade).

Thanks Kuma, a few on that list I wasn't aware of. I'll have to do a bit of driving when I have a free Saturday (which should hopefully be sometime this decade).

I left Melodies and Memories after 2 hours and had barely scraped the surface - so you may need more than one free Saturday!

It's a great spot - Tony Packo's. Been there since the depression and has excellent Hungarian (not Polish) food. The Front St. location, right off I-280, is the original. http://www.tonypackos.com/index.php Lots of great memories there as a kid drinking pitchers of Stroh's beer, listening to the Dixieland Jazz band that used to play there with a gang of friends.

Back
Top Bottom