What is "Homegroup"

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
"They" did an upgrade on my computer a day or so ago. Now, an icon for "Homegroup" appeared on my desktop and. from reading it, I don't like it. It says share data with other computers. I don't like this.

It doesn't seem to allow me to delete it. What gives? I want it gone!!!

Any ideas?

It won't actually share anything unless you set it up to do so. Even when setup, it only shares along computers in your own private network unless something is setup catastrophically wrong.

It just makes it really easy to access files from one PC that you own from another, or share a printer between computers. For example, out LaserJet at home is hooked up to my main desktop. I shared it on the homegroup, and now my laptop and my wife's laptop can both print to that printer without having to physically change over the printer's USB cable. Pretty neat.

Homegroup is name for two or more computers who shared data between itself.
If you connect new device to your computer or your local network then is that new devica also can to be part of your local network and share data with other computers inside your network.
I suppose thay yo have this massage because you connect your computer on network or add new device to your computer via LAN cable?

Thanks for the clarification, guys. I'm a cynic and am always skeptical when a new, unrequested icon appears on my computer. I use onedrive to share between my computers but I'l look more in depth on this to see how this might benefit me.

I don't have a wireless printer but I can see where this might be an advantage if we ever get one. As it stands, we just plug in the USB line to whatever computer needs it.

Last edited:
did *you* set up the home group?

it takes a positive action from the sysadmin to set one up.

(you of course have multiple log ons and never ever ever go to the 'net while logged in as admin/root right? right?)

a version of a trojan sets up a homegroup with a virtual server using one of your internet ports. just play games on facebook while logged in as admin.

for grins, check what the default drive and directory for your files when you do a 'save' from any program

A homegroup is the biggest PITA MS ever came up with. It was suppose to make networking easy, but complicated it no end.

I am completely agree with you. Easy networking is possible without MS WORKGROUP S**T. Look on eg. Linux OS, it dont have workgroup but all computers in domain range you can to sort and add where you want and create group what you want and add all computers in that group and add permissions what you want per single computer/client.

Back
Top Bottom