What Is It with This Audio Buying Obsession?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Dave B., Apr 11, 2018.

1. Dave B.

Dave B. AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've been through many obsessive phases in my life: cameras, bicycles, books, classical LPs and CDs, tennis gear, running gear, and even Corvettes. (I'm missing a few, I sure.) "The sickness," as I call it, has surged and then faded in those areas. I'm now happy with what I've gathered from those eras, or I've sold or given some (or all) of it away. But, after 50+ years, one sickness still rages in me: I must keep buying audio equipment!

I don't need it. My current system makes me 110% happy. But, for example, just this morning I lost an auction for a sweet pair of vintage AR speakers. I tried to convince myself that I didn't "need" them; I just "wanted" them. I rationalized: "It wasn't meant to be," and walked away. Ten minutes later, I was back online, searching for something ... anything ... to give me the audio-buy fix I needed. It's like I have to have a tracking number to click and FedEx/UPS trucks to watch for.

What the heck's wrong with me? Is there an Audioholics Anonymous? I need those 12 steps bad!

Anyone else here feel like this?

Dave

doctor fuse likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

Don't fight the power, don't worry, be happy and go with the flow.:thumbsup:

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  3. Tim64

Tim64 Super Member

Yes it can be addictive I reigned myself in about 5 years ago. I had 5 turntables, 6 receivers a couple integrated around half dozen pairs of speakers. At the time this stuff seemed to be popping up everywhere. It is hard to resist a bargain though and sometimes I get tempted but walk on by. I still look at CL though just because. My only back up stuff is a Onkyo Integrated, a Sansui A80 integrated and a couple Toshiba DVD/CD players for back up's. Everything else got sold on CL it makes for a much happier wife to and it felt good to get rid of the clutter.

darkblue94 likes this.
  4. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

Hi. My name is RTally and I am an audioholic.

Obsession . . . addiction . . . whatever. I have it. I was the same with weightlifting equipment. I kept buying and buying better and selling the lesser stuff until I got enough very good equipment that I wanted. I still look, but rarely buy anything. I am hoping the same thing happens with my audio equipment obsession. I have some fairly good equipment I enjoy, but there is still so much out there that I have not heard yet.

5. msg1975

msg1975 AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Try selling some of it. To me that's just as much of a rush as buying it. Plus it gives you money to spend on that new gotta have it piece:)

Steve Vesci, Bodyblue and OMGCat! like this.

7. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

I had the same problem and found one thing that worked for me... self restraint. It was tough to do and I admit I still look but I'm not buying anymore.

There's nothing like a picture that describes the depth of this depravity. Here is my Yamaha obsession in full bloom:

[​IMG]

Dazaa and jobrewer1983 like this.
  8. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

All of the obsessions you list involve acquiring material possessions. It is possible to obsess over other matters, from exercise, travel, fresh air, various sporting activities, etc. to politics, alcohol, gambling, drugs, or sexual satisfaction. Some are healthy, others not. Obsession over possessions may sometimes be an attempt at compensating for a lack of something else, whether spirituality, purpose, or human connections. 'Consuming' is relatively harmless, but often unfulfilling.

9. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've been trying to reduce the collection of equipment I have. I kept several systems and now have about half acually hooked up and in use. I keep a few pieces as backup also. That being said I still have two tall shelving units crammed full of mostly restored equipment. I'm kind of down to fine tuning what I have now though. It is still fun to build the odd component from time to time. I'm now going with if I get something new, something I already have has to go. It does make me think first now. Like, is what I want to get better than what I already have? That thinking has kept me from pulling the trigger on things I really don't need.

Bodyblue and darkblue94 like this.
  10. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

you make it sound like its bad....

11. rdka

rdka Active Member

Every man seems to have his baggage. It becomes a boat anchor & goes with you.

12. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Fortunately for me I don't seem to be infected with the obsession. I don't have a bunch of gear in a closet. I have no desire or reason to constantly swap gear in and out of my system. I've put together a system that sounds good to me. Any changes to it have to produce an easily audible improvement. Swapping gear for a lateral change is something I have no interest in.

musichal, Laid_back, stish and 2 others like this.
  13. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

He who has the most toys wins! Wins what, I don't know.I have nothing sitting in a closet, all my gear is in rotation and I love being able to listen to a different set of gear every day.

Bodyblue likes this.
  14. lbls1

lbls1 Active Member

I can relate to this. I started my audio quest in January, and as of right now I've been buying, returning and repairing items continuously. I feel that, as of right now, I'm at a good plateau with purchasing any more equipment. Sure, I could buy more but I don't have a need for it and certainly don't have space for more components. I still need to perform light repair to one of my vintage turntables, but other than that I'd say that I'm good.

15. Dave B.

Dave B. AK Subscriber Subscriber

So much equipment, so little time!

Seems like my favorite human connections these days are right here on AK. :beerchug:

Dave

musichal, RTally and sqlsavior like this.
  16. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

It's called "HOARDING". There are several TV shows about it. Just don't get into Cats! (watch the show and you'll know what I mean);)

Lavane likes this.

17. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have more fun now building equipment. It takes more time and research and seems to have the added benefit of slowing down the hoarding aspect. For me anyway. :biggrin:

18. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

There is a cure but it's at the end of the rainbow in a pot of gold guarded by unicorns.

19. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff"

In college I recognized the signs of this obsession in my friends. Seeing it for what it was, I refused to fall for it at that time because I did not have the money to do it. I kept my little Lafayette system and was satisfied with it. After I got my first job, I started right away to save my money. I got the SX-1250 first then the Altec Series II model 3s next, then I got the Yamaha D2 next followed by my CTF-950. I still have the last three. I killed the 1250 on my own trying to maintain it, but the rest are still here.

musichal likes this.
  20. MoreBeer

MoreBeer Money + Money =More Money

I could never see the point of buying things for the sake of piling it up and it just sits there collecting dust. I know some idiots like that....one for example can't stop buying model train garbage. Has a huge room loaded with them, most all still in boxes and he keeps going to train shows buying more and more. Must have at least $150,000 of this crap and really doesn't DO anything with it. Rarely, if ever does he even run any trains on this monstrous track setup that looks like a small town and likely costs as much as a small town. His wife just loves it BTW.

04blackmaxx likes this.