What Is It with This Audio Buying Obsession?

It's called "HOARDING". There are several TV shows about it. Just don't get into Cats! (watch the show and you'll know what I mean);)

Everything I have is connected and ready to be played at any time with the exception of the few pieces I am repairing, rebuilding, or using as test components. I like to acquire to either replace/upgrade what I have or add onto my system. If I am not going to use it, I either sell it or donate it to a local thrift.

You get a nice shot of dopamine when you win out over someone else, same as finding a score at the thrift.

The best way I've found to get over the acquisition impulse is to have to move it all to a new place.
I recently had to do just that and even though I didn't have much (comparatively), I really want to pare down to the minimum so I don't have to move it all again.

image.jpeg

I like to think that equipment is only the tool for obtaining the sound, that’s what changed my mind...that too and a divorce changed how I prioritize things.

I've been trying to purge a bit myself. I've been somewhat successful . I have a few more things to go. Still have too much. I do feel a relief when i sell something though:rolleyes:

I should have kept my audio gear from my youth and not married my first wife:D

Oh, when I got married to my last wife....the first thing she wanted to do was sell all my stereo equipment !!!

I said right then.....I want a divorce because she doesn’t care about what I enjoy !!!!

You get a nice shot of dopamine when you win out over someone else, same as finding a score at the thrift.

The best way I've found to get over the acquisition impulse is to have to move it all to a new place.
I recently had to do just that and even though I didn't have much (comparatively), I really want to pare down to the minimum so I don't have to move it all again.

View attachment 1160551
And that was the reason I sold the vinyl and turntables those five crates of records I had will break your back even with a hand truck.

I've been through many obsessive phases in my life: cameras, bicycles, books, classical LPs and CDs, tennis gear, running gear, and even Corvettes. (I'm missing a few, I sure.) "The sickness," as I call it, has surged and then faded in those areas. I'm now happy with what I've gathered from those eras, or I've sold or given some (or all) of it away. But, after 50+ years, one sickness still rages in me: I must keep buying audio equipment!

I don't need it. My current system makes me 110% happy. But, for example, just this morning I lost an auction for a sweet pair of vintage AR speakers. I tried to convince myself that I didn't "need" them; I just "wanted" them. I rationalized: "It wasn't meant to be," and walked away. Ten minutes later, I was back online, searching for something ... anything ... to give me the audio-buy fix I needed. It's like I have to have a tracking number to click and FedEx/UPS trucks to watch for.

What the heck's wrong with me? Is there an Audioholics Anonymous? I need those 12 steps bad!

Anyone else here feel like this?

Dave

Every single day.

And that was the reason I sold the vinyl and turntables those five crates of records I had will break your back even with a hand truck.

Yep. My last apartment was 2nd floor as is my new one. The hand truck helped but damn, moving all of that stuff from one closet to another just seems silly.
I only have a bit of vinyl but several hundred CDs. I'm considering my options with those before I move again.

I've been through many obsessive phases in my life:
Anyone else here feel like this?

YES!!

I go through obsessive phases and audio equipment was no different at one point I had amps & receivers under beds, stacked in corners, speakers in closets, racks and racks of vinyl etc. I've since tamed the beast getting rid of all vinyl (except my healthy Zappa collection :)), I have perma loaned multiple Luxman pieces to friends along with multiple pairs of speakers.

I have a Luxman M-2000 that's going to find a new home along with a Sansui AU-717 after that it will be just a modded RCA RS-177A console pull tube amp along with a pair of ADS L400 speakers, a Denon DCD 1500 w/original remote, my Mac Mini paired with a Schitt Dac. I have a modded pair of Polk Audio monitor 5's for back up and I'm awaiting my Maggie 175 EE's return from the shop. I honestly do NOT want anymore equipment after that except if I can stumble on a cool preamp preferably with remote.

Now If I stumble upon any equipment for give away prices I just bring them up to my buddies shop give it to him for cost so he can restore and resell.

If you practice the hobby correctly, the hobby becomes self sustaining. So, when a nice deal comes along, I always bite regardless of what it is. It can be converted into audio dollars which can be spent on real keepers.

Everything I have is connected and ready to be played at any time

That's me and my "systems" (plural). I have what amounts to four-plus systems assembled quite neatly in my big room here. I can play any one of them, or any combination of them, anytime as the mood strikes me. I've quoted my motto in other AK posts before: "If I've got it, I'll find a way to connect it."

So, I'm not technically hoarding, but, as RTally aptly notes, everything I have can spring to life at a moment's notice. The problem is, I keep wanting to "enhance" things by adding more equipment that I (laughably) don't need. Thinking about my connectivity compulsion is what lead me to post that "complicated signal path" thread a while ago. This is why I think of myself as sort of The Mad Scientist of Audio Systems. For better or worse.

Dave

All of the obsessions you list involve acquiring material possessions. It is possible to obsess over other matters, from exercise, travel, fresh air, various sporting activities, etc. to politics, alcohol, gambling, drugs, or sexual satisfaction. Some are healthy, others not. Obsession over possessions may sometimes be an attempt at compensating for a lack of something else, whether spirituality, purpose, or human connections. 'Consuming' is relatively harmless, but often unfulfilling.
BIGFOOT lives!

Obsession over possessions may sometimes be an attempt at compensating for a lack of something else, whether spirituality, purpose, or human connections.

Insightfully said. I discussed this thread with my wife and mentioned sqlsavior's comments, specifically. After listening to me bloviate about all this and my self-diagnosed obsession, she quietly said, "Maybe you just like to shop." Hmm. At the risk of making a sexist comment, I thought that wasn't a guy thing. Maybe she's right ...

... sqlsavior says, "compensating for a lack of something else." Maybe I'm compensating for a lack of bass response. Go figure.

Dave

If you can afford it, knock yourself out. If you are in debt and buing what you can't afford and it affects other parts of your life, you have a problem to sort out.

That's me and my "systems" (plural). I have what amounts to four-plus systems assembled quite neatly in my big room here. I can play any one of them, or any combination of them, anytime as the mood strikes me. I've quoted my motto in other AK posts before: "If I've got it, I'll find a way to connect it."

So, I'm not technically hoarding, but, as RTally aptly notes, everything I have can spring to life at a moment's notice. The problem is, I keep wanting to "enhance" things by adding more equipment that I (laughably) don't need. Thinking about my connectivity compulsion is what lead me to post that "complicated signal path" thread a while ago. This is why I think of myself as sort of The Mad Scientist of Audio Systems. For better or worse.

Dave

Yep. Need to have multiple systems. I have 6 systems total, each in it's own room. Four at the house: living room HT, home office, garage, and work room. Two at work: my office, my gym at the office.

Back
Top Bottom