What Is It with This Audio Buying Obsession?

At the turn of the decade the dorms were flooded with them. And they weren't considered mediocre at the time.
Most teens were oblivious to components that set the bar in that day like the the Audio Research SP-3a, D76, Mark Levinson JC-2 (John Curl), ML-1, Threshold 800A (Nelson Pass) - the companies (or designers) of which continue to build exceptional sounding gear. :)

Receivers Joe, receivers.

When I was in college (1970-1976) Drexel University had a work study program wherein it took 6 years to graduate. This worked quite well monetary wise for those attending via the GI Bill. I started college with a Fisher KX-90, Benjamin Miracord TT w/Pickering cartridge and a pair of AR-4's. Along the way I moved from the Fisher to Dynaco separates. My first Magneplanars (MG-1's) were bought in 1976. Since then my main rig has never been anything but separates and planar speakers. The only receiver I've ever bought is the Yamaha 5.1 currently in use in my bedroom. In any case, for me it's always been about the music, not the gear.

As I already posted, I didn't live in a dorm nor did I join a fraternity.

Last edited:
When I purchased my first modern receiver, a Yamaha RX-V995 circa 1999, I was on the road to becoming a hardware junkie. That was the pre YPAO era and this receiver changed my thinking. I was astounded to learn that a receiver was essentially a recording studio for the novice. Because there was no auto setup, I explored every parameter of the setup menus and could make changes in the dark with the remote. I quickly learned I could experiment with the sound and make changes that in many cases were greater than changing speakers or other equipment. Even modest modern receivers are remarkable "sound computers" and from that day on, I would exhaust the the capabilities of my present gear before buying newer stuff. I sincerely believe that auto setup is a negative for younger people as they never learn to tweak what they have.

Most teens were oblivious to components that set the bar in that day like the the Audio Research SP-3a, D76, Mark Levinson JC-2 (John Curl), ML-1, Threshold 800A (Nelson Pass) - the companies (or designers) of which continue to build exceptional sounding gear. :)
That and we didn't have the money for it anyway.

That and we didn't have the money for it anyway.
I was first exposed to that world at age 17 when I befriended the owner of a new hifi shop in town. He sold Harman Kardon receivers and ADS speakers, but it was the upstairs systems that interested me. Hearing Magnepan Tympani IIIs tri-amped with Audio Research electronics was quite a revelation. I later worked for him part time in college which enabled me to purchase gear at salesman accommodation. Bought a pair of Acoustat X electrostats in '77.

Through the shop, I met a TAS writer named Dr. Cooledge who in turn introduced me to the editor, Harry Pearson, and both became life long mentors in music and audio. It was hearing the good doctor's Dayton-Wright XG-8 MKI electrostats that set my preference while still a teen. The shop owner also used a later version driven by a JC-2 and 800A in his own system. Another pivotal moment came in 1980 when I first visited HP at Sea Cliff and heard the Infinity IRS. Subsequent trips over the years were always a special treat to hear the latest stuff he had for review. My final visit was just a couple of years before his death in 2014.

It was those fabulous experiences which continually re-calibrated how realistic an audio system could sound that shaped my obsession. My invitation for you to hear something close remains. :)

Oh no I've not forgotten. But what happens when I get over there and it's worlds better than what I got? What then?
Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss.

Oh no I've not forgotten. But what happens when I get over there and it's worlds better than what I got?
You will hear detail in your music you didn't know was there. I aver that even my Advent based garage system will do the same, if not to the same degree. Is that good or bad?

As for me, I've always been a resolution junkie. Always seeking better. While I never duplicated HP's phenomenal system clarity, I always enjoyed the experience. The Nordost Odin cables in his system alone ran about $100k. Even my wife wonders why I spend as much time (perhaps more) listening to the lesser garage system. I'm happy with less, but always enjoy sampling more. :)

It might, however, alter your perspective. What's more important? A wall of diffuse, non-aligned speakers breaking every rule about optimum directivity driven by redundant lower end amplification or a more focused system for the same investment that takes you deeper into your music?

Dunno.

Last edited:
I've been through many obsessive phases in my life: cameras, bicycles, books, classical LPs and CDs, tennis gear, running gear, and even Corvettes. (I'm missing a few, I sure.) "The sickness," as I call it, has surged and then faded in those areas. I'm now happy with what I've gathered from those eras, or I've sold or given some (or all) of it away. But, after 50+ years, one sickness still rages in me: I must keep buying audio equipment!

I don't need it. My current system makes me 110% happy. But, for example, just this morning I lost an auction for a sweet pair of vintage AR speakers. I tried to convince myself that I didn't "need" them; I just "wanted" them. I rationalized: "It wasn't meant to be," and walked away. Ten minutes later, I was back online, searching for something ... anything ... to give me the audio-buy fix I needed. It's like I have to have a tracking number to click and FedEx/UPS trucks to watch for.

What the heck's wrong with me? Is there an Audioholics Anonymous? I need those 12 steps bad!

Anyone else here feel like this?

Dave

I've got this nice Rotel five channel power amp....

I was first exposed to that world at age 17 when I befriended the owner of a new hifi shop in town. He sold Harman Kardon receivers and ADS speakers, but it was the upstairs systems that interested me. Hearing Magnepan Tympani IIIs tri-amped with Audio Research electronics was quite a revelation. I later worked for him part time in college which enabled me to purchase gear at salesman accommodation. Bought a pair of Acoustat X electrostats in '77.

Through the shop, I met a TAS writer named Dr. Cooledge who in turn introduced me to the editor, Harry Pearson, and both became life long mentors in music and audio. It was hearing the good doctor's Dayton-Wright XG-8 MKI electrostats that set my preference while still a teen. The shop owner also used a later version driven by a JC-2 and 800A in his own system. Another pivotal moment came in 1980 when I first visited HP at Sea Cliff and heard the Infinity IRS. Subsequent trips over the years were always a special treat to hear the latest stuff he had for review. My final visit was just a couple of years before his death in 2014.

It was those fabulous experiences which continually re-calibrated how realistic an audio system could sound that shaped my obsession. My invitation for you to hear something close remains. :)

I was first introduced to hi-fi when I was pretty young and I can say that it definitely shaped what I wanted out of a system.
Going with my father as a kid to the hi-fi store his good friend owned and spending hours sampling the various systems and speakers amazed me.
I remember once he had a pair of Accustats driven by what I now know was a Threshold amplifier of some sort where the music almost made it spooky in the low lit room. There was obviously a band right there in front of us with singer front and center but they were invisible. He ended up with a much more modest system of Yamaha and B&O but even that was impressive for the time.

I personally do like fiddling with repairs and do have a small collection of components that I like but in the main system I've the best I have for the room they're in. I would love some panels but I've got absolutely no space in my new listening room for anything approaching their size. I think even my B&W 804s are too big in there so I'm going to audition some 805 D3s soon and will have to live with book shelves until space opens up (l love bass response so this bothers me but they supposedly go to 40hz relatively flat).

I'll edit this to add that I am perfectly fine with how anyone else enjoys the hobby. If it's changing systems every day or getting a second mortgage to finance cables, more power to you. I personally have fun listening to oldies on a pocket transistor radio when I do repairs so am absolutely not a snob when it comes to enjoying the music.

Last edited:
I remember once he had a pair of Accustats driven by what I now know was a Threshold amplifier of some sort where the music almost made it spooky in the low lit room. There was obviously a band right there in front of us with singer front and center but they were invisible.
Yes, they do just that. After meeting designer James Strickland in '76 at chez JWC, I was mesmerized by their siren song. Used 2+2s for almost twenty years (first with Threshold Stasis 3) before moving to Sound Lab.

I would love some panels but I've got absolutely no space in my new listening room for anything approaching their size.
I use 1+1s today in family room HT. While not optimally placed in terms of distance from front wall, they still work peachy keen and still possess their uncanny full range coherence. :)

ht082015.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they do just that. After meeting designer James Strickland in '76 at chez JWC, I was mesmerized by their siren song. Drove 2+2s with a Threshold Stasis 3 for twenty years before moving to Sound Lab.

I use 1+1s in family room HT. While not optimally placed in terms of distance from front wall, they still work peachy keen and still possess their uncanny coherence. :)

ht082015.jpg

Those have a much smaller footprint but still about the same as my current speakers. In my room they'd be about 12 inches out from the corners as well so not very happy placement wise.
I'm in the final few year push for early retirement, or at least retiring from the 9-5, so will have to make due with the annoying room for a little while. After that I've got plans and they do include panels...

You will hear detail in your music you didn't know was there. I aver that even my Advent based garage system will do the same, if not to the same degree. Is that good or bad?

As for me, I've always been a resolution junkie. Always seeking better. While I never duplicated HP's phenomenal system clarity, I always enjoyed the experience. The Nordost Odin cables in his system alone ran about $100k. Even my wife wonders why I spend as much time (perhaps more) listening to the lesser garage system. I'm happy with less, but always enjoy sampling more. :)

It might, however, alter your perspective. What's more important? A wall of diffuse, non-aligned speakers breaking every rule about optimum directivity driven by redundant lower end amplification or a more focused system for the same investment that takes you deeper into your music?

Dunno.
Well I wasn't going to say it but at this point I might as well. I'm way more than just satisfied with what I have at the moment and I don't see that changing. It sounds absolutely marvelous. Anyone with a lot of experience can see many reasons why it might not. But this doesn't change that it does, flaws and all. When I move it to a bigger room it may not. We'll see.
Besides, I like my toys.

Besides, I like my toys.
To each his own. If hearing all that's on the recording isn't important to you then so be it. I was in Chicago last week tagging along with my wife's university conference. I took in an all Ravel program at the CSO. Full chorus for Daphnis and Chloe. The program notes said that Ravel conduced the content himself here in 1924.

I was in heaven. :)

CSO1.jpg

Enjoy your toys.

Boy, there's far more to your recordings than you are hearing today. :)

Last edited:
To each his own. If hearing all that's on the recording isn't important to you then so be it. I was in Chicago last week tagging along with my wife's university conference. I took in an all Ravel program at the CSO. Full chorus for Daphnis and Chloe. I was in heaven. :)

View attachment 1166540

Enjoy your toys.

Boy, there's far more to your recordings than you are hearing today. :)
I've not been to Orchestra Hall in Chicago, but would love to. I here it's an excellent hall. But all is not lost. I spent 30 tears in D.C. with the Kennedy Center, Constitution Hall, Warner Theater and M ST jazz clubs available to me among others and was fortunate to experience a lot of shoe box halls in Europe . Season tickets were the hot setup. It left me with a pretty good idea of what live music sounds like. I don't think much is getting away from me here. Although I understand you do. Also did sound for a pop/rock band that worked small rooms every weekend. I don't remember that ever sounding good, not my fault I say.

Although I understand you do.
Only from the perspective of listening to virtually any receiver.

Good, but not even close to the resolution that is available. A Toyota Camry vs. a McLaren 720s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom