What is it worth (SX-1250)

saharajim

Ok so I was walking through a second hand shop and spotted a Pioneer SX-1250 sitting on the floor behind the counter. I asked if I could see it and when I turned it around I noticed that It is missing a couple of nobs, its pretty dirty and a couple of the switches are bent. Apparently it was brought in for repair but the store has changed hands and the new owners don't repair electronics. The original owner is supposed to be coming to pick it up. I've said that I might be interested in buying it if he doesn't pick it up. My question is what should someone pay for this thing not knowing anything about it. Yes I have repaired my own stuff in the past with the gracious help of fellow AK'rs.

I paid $400.00 for mine from a pawn shop out in Colorado. It had a couple of bent ones, too. But, everything still worked. Still missing the AM antenna. Had it serviced/cleaned/fixed/straightened and it is pretty amazing. A little veneer peeling, but I am going to make a new solid walnut case for it.

400 us dollars thats like 500 plus up here. The wood looks ok on this one. Not sure about the electronics. Im thinking i might take a chance and offer up to a couple hundred? I think i could get that out of the parts.

If it is in any kind of condition, it is worth saving, in my opinion. They just don't make them like that anymore. A true classic. And, quite desirable for many. It would have to be a true "basket-case" for me to part one out. But, I am just that way.

I paid $1k for mine, it had been recently restored with documentation and replaced parts. Cosmetically perfect.

Wow. Are these receivers that good! I've been using a yamaha cr2020 as my main receiver and i love it, how would this pioneer compare?

Im going back tomorrow with cash in hand. If the store won't sell it direct maybe they have the number for the person that does own it. My first goal is always to make them work again.

Im going back tomorrow with cash in hand. If the store won't sell it direct maybe they have the number for the person that does own it. My first goal is always to make them work again.
I'd offer $100 "as-is" without even plugging it in. If they insist on plugging it in to see what happens, then the price will depend on what appears to be working and becomes very subjective. Even if it lights up and some things are working while you are in the shop, it might burn out as soon as you get it home. I'd assume that it needs a complete restoration anyway, so I probalby wouldn't want to go more than $200-300.

Thanks kapohoguy. I'm actually going to try to stop them from powering it up, it's was in for repairs, I would prefer to do it gently with my variac when/if I get it home. Are you talking US dollars? if so I can add 30%. (skip it I see your in the states)

If it were mine and you offered me $100 for an untested 1250, I would tell you thanks for stopping by
it is no longer for sale. I would prefer to give it away than accept a $100 offer. But that may be just me.
I know you wouldn't sell your 2020 for $100, working or not. Just my opinion.

Dude....

A SX-1250 is one of the best receivers that Pioneer ever built and second only to the SX-1980. Just as good as the CR-3020 and the Sansui 9090. It's in the category of best sound possible for that time period. If you need parts look for something on eBay that's already junked out but still in one peice.....then find someone on this site that is competent to do the work. But, do not use overly sensitive speakers with that receiver.....

Last edited:
bandg69 I think you are misunderstanding me. I started this thread to get an idea of what this receiver is worth, looking for opinions, so I can make a fair offer. I don't want to offend the owner because as you implied I might get the door slammed in my face. You are also correct I wouldn't give any of my Yamaha's away because I know there value. Pioneers I'm not too familiar with. I only have one a SX-737 that I found in the electronics bin at the local dump.

Dude....

A SX-1250 is one of the best receivers that Pioneer ever built and second only to the SX-1250. Just as good as the CR-3020 and the Sansui 9090. It's in the category of best sound possible for that time period. If you need parts look for something on eBay that's already junked out but still in one peice.....then find someone on this site that is competent to do the work. But, do not use overly sensitive speakers with that receiver.....
Is this a typo? second only to SX-1250? I don't understand.

Djcoolray what would you offer for a 1250 that was in for repairs with bent switches and missing some nobs. Don't even know if any work was done on it.

Back
Top Bottom